The Big Bang Theory Page 15

Quote: Aaron @ September 21 2013, 9:44 AM BST

And I'm saying that's wholly wrong! Sheldon's great, but without the contrast of Leonard he would lose his impact; and without the variety of Leonard's semi-normal relations with the non-geek world against his, quickly become incredibly repetitive and tiresome. And, frankly, there is very little mileage in him as a central plot character. What can you do with someone who has no ability to interact with anyone else and move a story on?

He *needs* characters like Leonard and Penny

Without the others you've no plots, you've no 'normal' to contrast with; you've no show.

Absolutely - I don't dispute that the character needs a foil. All monster characters need a foil.

What I am saying is that the performances of Cuoco and Galecki are not as irreplaceable as that of Parsons.

If absolutely necessary, other actors could do just as good a job as them. They are competent actors who play standard sitcom characters competently. Parsons inhabits that role in a way that is pretty unique.

I really wonder where they are going to go with these characters now, because everyone (with the exception of Sheldon and possibly Amy) now has their "need" - to be loved.

They'll have to break those happy bitches up.

They've already said they won't. JG said that L&P are "moving on to a new phase in their relationship" and that the "will they won't they gets tiring for viewers".

Ross and Rachel, my friends. Ross and Rachel. Last episode of last season for a REASON!

Ha. I guess it will be about one wanting to get married then? Maybe we will finally see Penny's mum (or is she dead?) or find out Penny's last name.
Or maybe she'll get impregnated with a mini Leonard. :O

Quote: Jennie @ September 21 2013, 10:19 AM BST

Absolutely - I don't dispute that the character needs a foil. All monster characters need a foil.

What I am saying is that the performances of Cuoco and Galecki are not as irreplaceable as that of Parsons.

If absolutely necessary, other actors could do just as good a job as them. They are competent actors who play standard sitcom characters competently. Parsons inhabits that role in a way that is pretty unique.

I really wonder where they are going to go with these characters now, because everyone (with the exception of Sheldon and possibly Amy) now has their "need" - to be loved.

I'd argue the opposite.

It's much easier for an actor to play a very easily definable character, such as Sheldon, but much harder to play a nuanced, more believable character like Penny or Leonard and still make them funny and interesting.

Jim Parsons is brilliant and Sheldon is a great character but I actually think that Cuoco and Galecki are doing the hard part in carrying the main bulk of the show.

To use a footballing analogy, they are the midfield battlers who do all the work to allow the centre forward to take all the glory.

This a long with a ton of other American sitcoms returned this week too with 2 good premier episodes too.

Maybe you could do a thread, Edwin, commenting, describing and recommending each of the US shows? I'm sure people would find it interesting to see what's worth hunting out.

I laughed more at Father Figure than Robin Williams's new show Crazy Ones. The ONLY funny part in Crazy Ones was the blooper they showed in the end credits!

I'm slowly getting into this show. Better late than never.

Hate to say it, but this season hasn't been full of LOL moments. They really need to step things up. Seems like they're in cruise control at the moment and I'm not impressed. And this is one of my fave shows!

I think the opposite. Feels to me like they've brought it up a gear from the end of last season, and are packing in a lot of stuff that's both really funny and very interesting. I'm particularly enjoying the different dynamics when they split the group up in different ways to normal, and bringing in Stuart a bit more to really play around with our perceptions of Raj. Great stuff.

I agree with Aaron. Season 7 feels more naturally "sitcomy" and it works. Have liked every episode so far, partly because there is a)More Sheldon and Penny and b)less Leonard and Penny.

Now I'm just hoping that Amy and Howard run off together.

While I do like that they are playing around with the dynamics of the group, there just hasn't been many laugh out loud moments for me. I did like Howard hanging with Amy and I like bringing Stuart in more for the faux homosexual patter with Raj that used to exist with Raj and Howard. I would like to see more of Leonard and Sheldon's mothers used. Leonard's mother's cameo at the end of the last episode was excellent!

Quote: Aaron @ September 28 2013, 7:38 PM BST

Maybe you could do a thread, Edwin, commenting, describing and recommending each of the US shows? I'm sure people would find it interesting to see what's worth hunting out.

I would, but I'm generally lazy and there's a thread already created for most of the good stuff...

Anyway, I haven't really liked this season so far, but last night's episode; episode 5, was very good in my opinion and a huge step up from the other episodes so far this season.

It was very Sheldon based is all I'll say so I don't spoil it for those of you who haven't watched it.

I personally love this show as it is for everyone. The character of Sheldon is perfect and keeps the show alive and the shows are brilliantly written. The romance can steer the comedy away though but it is probably the best US comedy on a tie with How I Met Your Mother and Frasier.