The Big Bang Theory Page 14

Just watching it now
Thanks for the spoilers guys
*Tuts at Aaron

It is an awesome sitcom. I used to think sitcoms are dumb, but I changed my mind after TBBT a couple years ago.

And now there's the news of the cast members asking for a million bucks per show. I'm glad I stopped watching this ages ago.

Now, the Americans think there's nothing wrong with this, and I know I'm not alone in thinking there's something distasteful about it; is this what's wrong with our country? Or what's right with it?
England

I read it was half a million.

I don't care what they pay them. I'll guarantee whatever it is the TV company will still be making a vast profit. To be honest some of the script writing is a bit lame. The actors in this case are the ones that really make the difference. They may have spotted this :)

Quote: roscoff @ September 20 2013, 9:48 AM BST

I don't care what they pay them. I'll guarantee whatever it is the TV company will still be making a vast profit. To be honest some of the script writing is a bit lame. The actors in this case are the ones that really make the difference. They may have spotted this :)

Jim Parsons makes the difference. Galecki and the blonde girl are dispensable.

They should pay Parsons whatever he is asking, as he is the reason people tune in.

Quote: Jennie @ September 20 2013, 11:13 AM BST

They should pay Parsons whatever he is asking, as he is the reason people tune in.

Hmmm...controversial. Not like 'I'm a transvestite trapped in a man's body' controversial nevertheless. I like Kaley Cuoco but it may not be for her acting ability. Agreed on the Galecki but you do need a foil for the Sheldon character though.

Quote: Jennie @ September 20 2013, 11:13 AM BST

Oh so very, very wrong!

Whilst 'Sheldon' gets great lines and Jim Parsons gives a fantastic performance it's a marvellous ensemble cast who compliment each other terrifically.

Try watching a scene without Sheldon and not laughing.

It's very difficult watching Kaley Cuoco and not thinking dirty old man thoughts but she's younger than my son so I do try to behave.

Quote: garyd @ September 20 2013, 1:48 PM BST

It's very difficult watching Kaley Cuoco and not thinking dirty old man thoughts but she's younger than my son so I do try to behave.

I don't have such issues :)

Raj is my favourite now. But I wouldn't want any of the regulars to leave.

I would still like a bit more Leslie Winkle though. They could do loads more with her.

Kripke. I love Kripke. Not in a gay way mind :)

Quote: zooo @ September 20 2013, 3:37 PM BST

I would still like a bit more 'winkle' though.

Saucy girl, you.

Quote: Aaron @ September 20 2013, 1:00 PM BST

Oh so very, very wrong!

Why? Galecki is servicable. Kaley whatsherface is serviceable. I'm not saying they do a bad job, I'm saying they do perfectly OK jobs. But the only thing that makes this slightly better than run of the mill American sitcom is the Sheldon character, and Parsons' portrayal of it.

Quote: zooo @ September 20 2013, 3:37 PM BST

Raj is my favourite now. But I wouldn't want any of the regulars to leave.

I would still like a bit more Leslie Winkle though. They could do loads more with her.

I do love Leslie Winkle!

Not sure where they are going to go with Raj, now he can speak to women.

Quote: Jennie @ September 20 2013, 10:23 PM BST

Why? Galecki is servicable. Kaley whatsherface is serviceable. I'm not saying they do a bad job, I'm saying they do perfectly OK jobs. But the only thing that makes this slightly better than run of the mill American sitcom is the Sheldon character, and Parsons' portrayal of it.

And I'm saying that's wholly wrong! Sheldon's great, but without the contrast of Leonard he would lose his impact; and without the variety of Leonard's semi-normal relations with the non-geek world against his, quickly become incredibly repetitive and tiresome. And, frankly, there is very little mileage in him as a central plot character. What can you do with someone who has no ability to interact with anyone else and move a story on?

He *needs* characters like Leonard and Penny (who are excellent, not merely 'servicable'), and to a lesser extent the part-functioning but still really really odd Raj and Howard, in order to be able to work, and to have something to show his weirdness against.

It is to everyone else that all the substantive story in the show actually happens. Sheldon reacts. He has his little sub-plots. He throws spanners in their works. But he isn't the story.

Without the others you've no plots, you've no 'normal' to contrast with; you've no show.

And moving from the mechanics of comedy into the realm of personal taste, they're the interesting ones who keep me watching, caring about the plight of and intrigued by the story of. Sheldon's funny, Parsons is great, and it would indeed be lesser without him - without any of them - but he definitely isn't why I watch.