The Big Bang Theory Page 20

Oh dear, I really didn't think I would be saying this, but I am struggling with this new series that started on E4 last week, and last night's was almost dire.

The Howard/Raj (these two are usually hilarious when together) "joke" about the squeaky floorboards was.................well, there's no other word for it - crap.

And I thought you could see in the eyes of all of them the realisation that this series was a step too far.

I agree . . . though I find it difficult to watch anyway now since it was the last thing my Father laughed at latterly (apart from myself of course - for all the wrong reasons) they seem to be milking it to within an inch of its life and momentum in writing alone can only suffer as a result.

But I think because it has been so successful with the characters being so well loved, perhaps they feel the material has become secondary so they can afford to be complacent now.

Still falling well short with a smattering of how good it used to be with Howard and Raj this week. Scripts are dire, but then what do you expect after all this time and if the powers that be are going to throw that sort of money at it ($1 mill. each for the main three per episode!) then why should they care. A box that detects emotions? Perrrrrlease!! >_<

Bernadette is getting so high pitched now she might as well not say anything as I cannot catch what she is saying at all most of the time.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th March 2017, 12:10 AM

Bernadette is getting so high pitched now she might as well not say anything as I cannot catch what she is saying at all most of the time.

I think she's supposed to be morphing into his mother, such that she just becomes a voice off stage. Think of the money they'll save.

($1 mill. each for the main three per episode!)

The Friends' cast were getting that over 10 years ago, so by comparison it's reasonable.

Quote: Nogget @ 10th March 2017, 3:21 PM

The Friends' cast were getting that over 10 years ago, so by comparison it's reasonable.

Oh, good.

So, the very last episodes started airing tonight and I feel a sense of relief as I think it had over-stayed its welcome at the start of the last series, which is a great shame as I have watched it from day one and it certainly has been funny, especially in the early days.

Doesn't help either that they have introduced a "final" girlfriend/fiancé for Raj as I don't like her or her character.

I'll watch these last ones to the bitter end just to say I have seen the complete set.

You've done well to stick with it, I left after about 3 eps with the new female characters and thought I know where this is going, I'm off.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 24th February 2019, 10:37 AM

You've done well to stick with it, I left after about 3 eps with the new female characters and thought I know where this is going, I'm off.

Oh, I've enjoyed Amy as she has had some very funny lines and situations, but Bernadette is the one that gets on my nerves as what she says (IF you can understand it!!) is not generally funny, being usually too twee - from what I read a few years ago, even some Americans can't make out what she is squeaking.

More like the old style this week and quite funny, although I have no idea who Wil Wheaton's "celebrity" players of Dungeons and Dragons (?) were, who were playing a game at his house.

Hope now that awful fiancé of Raj is now consigned to history.

The absolutely final episode tomorrow night (if you want to set your digi-box), and not before time. I have been a massive fan of this and have stuck it out to the bitter end, but now it's time to go gang!

At 8.00 pm on E4, it is a double episode of Series 12 Ep. 23 & 24 of 24, followed at 9 for an hour by "The Big Bang Theory of Everything" - A celebration of everything 'Big Bang' related, with comments from famous fans, exclusive behind-the-scenes and red-carpet footage and classic clips from 12 series of the sitcom.

All new apparently (but I have seen similar doc. in the past) :-

https://www.channel4.com/tv-guide/2019/05/23

So maybe I was the only one to watch it, but I have to say it was very good with nicely rounded story lines wrapping up the last of the last of 12 series.

The documentary as such that followed was new and didn't repeat any of the previous. It was OK I suppose if you like to see people you have never heard of talking about the show, and it was only spoilt by the appearance of the nonentity tit that is Joe Squash. (that's wishful thinking by the way).

OH! And by the way - IF you want to watch it all again E4 is repeating the ENTIRE thing all over again from episode 1 on Mondays at 6pm.

Thanks, Herc. It's not as if E4 doesn't tell people this.

I don't think you can sustain the surprise of what your flatmate (and most of them aren't flatmates, but never mind) might do in a situation. A great deal of the drama in the early days might be based on not knowing what Leonard's mother (or Sheldon's mother or Howard's mother or Raj's parents etc) might say. Some debriefing from the son involved might have worked wonders.

I saw a few mins of one the other day and yes she has gone to town on the gimmicky voice thing. It's as cliched as catchphrases in sitcoms. A character will assume a funny voice or have a catchphrase or two to become a focal point of laughs either to add to the humour of the script or make up for lack of it.

If they're genuinely funny and it's a good sitcom than I approve of both. She's gone for a squeaked up version of what that woman in Will & Grace had, which I found much funnier tbh, totally jarred with her looks which Bernadette's doesn't. Neither as funny as Jamsie's in Rab C Nesbitt which had me howling most of the time.

Caught a couple of episodes on E4 (?) recently, and had forgotten just how funny they were, especially Sheldon.