Is Jim Davidson legendary? Page 7

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th April 2022, 8:29 PM

Definitions of Legendary:

Of, based on, or discussed in legend

Appearing (solely) in legends

Having unimaginable greatness

Extremely well known; famous

I'd say probably one out of four there.

The famous one? I'm not sure many people under forty have a clue who he is.

Quote: chipolata @ 18th April 2022, 8:34 PM

One could say the same of Spike Milligan. It all depends on the context - and in terms of comedy and comedians, Spike and Jim surely fit the bill.

Quote: chipolata @ 18th April 2022, 8:34 PM

I was speaking to a friend's son & his girlfriend, in their twenties and living in London, recently. I thought that they'd be interested to know that they lived near to where Kenneth Williams lived. You can guess their reply. It doesn't make him any less famous in my eyes though.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th April 2022, 10:24 PM

I was speaking to a friend's son & his girlfriend, in their twenties and living in London, recently. I thought that they'd be interested to know that they lived near to where Kenneth Williams lived. You can guess their reply.

I bet it was "'ere, stop messin' about!" ?

Quote: Aaron @ 18th April 2022, 9:53 PM

One could say the same of Spike Milligan. It all depends on the context - and in terms of comedy and comedians, Spike and Jim surely fit the bill.

Definitely. Fame is a fickle beast. But Spike's claim to the term legendary is far more secure because he has an impressive body of work independent of any celebrity he may have had. He was part of The Goons etc. Jim Davidson doesn't have anywhere as impressive body of work. He was a journeyman comedian at best.

He was a journeyman comedian at best.

Apart from The generation game and Big break and a few sitcoms and his own show he's done nowt.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th April 2022, 7:30 AM

He was a journeyman comedian at best.

Apart from The generation game and Big break and a few sitcoms and his own show he's done nowt.

Don't forget the two Sinderellas and Boobs in the Wood - love my pantomimes. ?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th April 2022, 7:30 AM

I didn't say he'd done nowt. I'm talking about a body of work and the quality of that work. Two gameshows, some mediocre and forgotten sitcoms, and panto is hardly the stuff of legend. Spike Milligan is in a whole different league. Kenneth Williams too.

Yes, me being a number one Milligan fan, and I think the problem with this thread is the title. WHY Kanavan? (whoever they were)

Perhaps Aaron can edit it? Just have it as Jim Davidson?

Yes but they worked in very different fields. JD is club comedian by trade, by your reckoning that would exclude almost every stand up who plays to predominantly working class male majority crowds from the designation. When do you start saying 'that stand up comic is legendary'? When their material pleases your (general you) sensibilities? To his core of fans JD is legendary, especially as he's barely strayed from doing controversial material over a 50 year career.

Quote: chipolata @ 19th April 2022, 10:17 AM

I didn't say he'd done nowt. I'm talking about a body of work and the quality of that work. Two gameshows, some mediocre and forgotten sitcoms, and panto is hardly the stuff of legend. Spike Milligan is in a whole different league. Kenneth Williams too.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 19th April 2022, 10:58 AM

Yes but they worked in very different fields. JD is club comedian by trade, by your reckoning that would exclude almost every stand up who plays to predominantly working class male majority crowds from the designation. When do you start saying 'that stand up comic is legendary'? When their material pleases your (general you) sensibilities? To his core of fans JD is legendary, especially as he's barely strayed from doing controversial material over a 50 year career.

Dave Allen is a legendary stand up. As is Billy Connolly. Jim Davidson may be beloved by some people, but his stand up is pretty mediocre and ordinary.

Tommy Cooper, Dave Allen, Spike Milligan, Jim Davidson, Billy Connolly, Eric Morecambe.
If you can't spot the odd one out - God help you.

Quote: Lazzard @ 19th April 2022, 11:50 AM

Tommy Cooper, Dave Allen, Spike Milligan, Jim Davidson, Billy Connolly, Eric Morecambe.
If you can't spot the odd one out - God help you.

Are you thinking of Tommy Cooper as the magician?
Dave Allen as the Irishman?
Or Eric Morecambe as the half-a-double act?

?

Quote: Aaron @ 19th April 2022, 11:59 AM

Are you thinking of Tommy Cooper as the magician?
Dave Allen as the Irishman?
Or Eric Morecambe as the half-a-double act?

?

No-one likes a smart arse.
?

Quote: Lazzard @ 19th April 2022, 12:31 PM

No-one likes a smart arse.
?

Laughing out loud Soz.