Is Jim Davidson legendary? Page 2

Hmm, I'm not sure about the Frankie character thing, I'd have to see more of him tbh, but so far, I'd say he is being himself, he's very non apologetic about his offensive jokes, very! Davidson has long since said he wouldn't play Chalky again, even if he was allowed to, and yes Chalky was a character. Crude humour, absolutely, but Davidson learned his act in the very un PC early 70s, there were many more Davidsons back then, including black comics (the now notorious Charlie Williams, but thought of as harmless then).

Hmm interesting philosophical point on BCG.

Ok is it better to be

Frankie Boyle
None racist who makes racist jokes for added impact and sometimes to reinforce a worthy point

or

Jim Davidson
A genuine racist.

Is racism a disability, should a thinking comic never use such material?

Hmm

Yes, Frankie's non apologetic about his jokes. He's made the decision to make jokes like that and stands by it.

But that's nothing to do with him as a person, which is what I'm getting at. If you can manage to find an interview with him, he seems to be a rather pleasant, genuine, kind person. Quite likeable.

Quote: sootyj @ March 29 2011, 1:58 PM BST

Hmm interesting philosophical point on BCG.

Ok is it better to be

Frankie Boyle
None racist who makes racist jokes for added impact and sometimes to reinforce a worthy point

or

Jim Davidson
A genuine racist.

Is racism a disability, should a thinking comic never use such material?

Hmm

?

Well, it's obviously better not to be a genuine racist.

Well except he says he makes jokes about what he believes.

Ok this doesn't necessarily make him racist. Rather he believes that by making jokes that are harsh and real about the way we all live, we actually come closer together as a society.

Pretty much the same philosophy as Lenny Bruce.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 29 2011, 2:00 PM BST

?

Well, it's obviously better not to be a genuine racist.

Well can you genuinely criticise a heartfelt belief as opposed to a mere spat of cynical positional thinking?

Quote: sootyj @ March 29 2011, 2:03 PM BST

Well can you genunely criticise a heartfelt belief as opposed to a mere spat of cynical positional thinking?

Of course I can criticise someone who has racist beliefs. Because those beliefs would be racist. Which is bad.

I just mean a truly true belief maybe as much a handicap as a limp or a squint.

Sooty, I think you're reaching a tad here!
Give it up!

Quote: sootyj @ March 29 2011, 2:05 PM BST

I just mean a truly true belief maybe as much a handicap as a limp or a squint.

Well there's obviously something a bit wrong in their minds, yes; but that doesn't mean you just tut and say 'can't be helped'.

I'm stiil not sure, myself, I'd really have to see him live, but I don't go out much (not to stand-up shows anyway), but every time I've seen him on TV he looks like he's itching to do a racist joke, he's certainly come very close to it, and his stuff about black London culture was very near to the bone, I think the the more uptight community types there would see that as blatant stereotypical 'racism', no question.

He gets away with it only because of his cheeky grin, by being a cool C4 comedian, (C4 wouldn't be racist, or sexist, or disable bodyist, would they!) and by using this as a barrier for his very sharp, offensive material. C4 have taken a real gamble on him, and so far, I'd say, they look like alienating the groups that C4 was created for! IMO.

Can't we just agree that they're both c**ts? It's much easier.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ March 29 2011, 2:25 PM BST

Can't we just agree that they're both c**ts? It's much easier.

That has got to be Labour's manifesto for the next election.

Quote: sootyj @ March 29 2011, 2:35 PM BST

That has got to be Labour's manifesto for the next election.

Nice :)

I don't think Frankie Boyle's act is not genuine. But I don't think I've heard him tell a real homophobic or racist joke.

Davidson is an obnoxious turd.

About as funny as trapping your cock in your fly zip.