Is Jim Davidson legendary? Page 8

Quote: Lazzard @ 19th April 2022, 12:31 PM

No-one likes a smart arse.
?

I do!

Quote: Lazzard @ 19th April 2022, 11:50 AM

Tommy Cooper, Dave Allen, Spike Milligan, Jim Davidson, Billy Connolly, Eric Morecambe.
If you can't spot the odd one out - God help you.

Quote: chipolata @ 19th April 2022, 11:45 AM

Dave Allen is a legendary stand up. As is Billy Connolly. Jim Davidson may be beloved by some people, but his stand up is pretty mediocre and ordinary.

I'm sorry but both these posts smack of blatant Comedy Snobbery. You don't like his material so disbar him from the accolade his sheer notoriety of material alone should qualify for, never mind his notable stage craftmanship. I'm a fan of all the above as well, but Dave Allen did some pretty banal stuff in with the little observational gems, and was hardly prolific, while Eric Morecambe barely wrote a line of his own material, as good a performer he was.

But I'll transfer him then with an even more racist comic and a better craftsman still, Bernard Manning, whose claim to legendary status has to be unquestionable by most reasonable measures. Except for you and other self appointed guardians (pun intended) who stand at the gates of comedy legend and decide who gets in or not according to your own uppish tastes.

I'm also a little bit miffed that yet again the great Benny Hill gets missed out on the usual snobbish lists. Anything touching blue, saucy postcard, identity based humour, or old school joke telling gets the instant toilet flush when imo what needs to be flushed down the karzi most of all is comedy snobbery! And good morning.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th April 2022, 3:34 AM

I'm sorry but both these posts smack of blatant Comedy Snobbery. You don't like his material so disbar him from the accolade his sheer notoriety of material alone should qualify for.

Your problem is you like comedy that you think winds up the people you don't like. You're so addicted to culture war nonsense that it blinkers you completely. "Tee hee! The wokes hate him therefore he's great!" You're not even judging him on the basis of his comedy, you're judging on a reaction to him. Jim Davidson was and is a journeyman pure and simple.

And before you get on your high horse, Spike Milligan did some pretty questionable comedy, but I don't think anybody has a problem recognising him as a legend.

That's what you really think? Honestly?
He/we like certain comedy just because it upsets others. I bow down to your comedy genius because that IS funny.

It's got to be a wind-up.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th April 2022, 3:34 AM

I'm sorry but both these posts smack of blatant Comedy Snobbery. You don't like his material so disbar him from the accolade his sheer notoriety of material alone should qualify for, never mind his notable stage craftmanship. I'm a fan of all the above as well, but Dave Allen did some pretty banal stuff in with the little observational gems, and was hardly prolific, while Eric Morecambe barely wrote a line of his own material, as good a performer he was.

But I'll transfer him then with an even more racist comic and a better craftsman still, Bernard Manning, whose claim to legendary status has to be unquestionable by most reasonable measures. Except for you and other self appointed guardians (pun intended) who stand at the gates of comedy legend and decide who gets in or not according to your own uppish tastes.

I'm also a little bit miffed that yet again the great Benny Hill gets missed out on the usual snobbish lists. Anything touching blue, saucy postcard, identity based humour, or old school joke telling gets the instant toilet flush when imo what needs to be flushed down the karzi most of all is comedy snobbery! And good morning.

We're not talking about Benny Hill or Bernard Manning.
We're talking about Jim Davidson.
He doesn't make that list because he's a bit ordinary, that's all.
He didn't move things on, or become a National Treasure loved by one and all - he was just a moderately successful turn.
You can paint him a victim of "PC Gone Mad!" as much as you like, but his career ran its course the same way as many other variety stand-up's.

How many of the woke unfunny comedians of today have gone into dangerous war zones to entertain the troops (for free)

here's a Nish Kumar joke he's proud of, he's said it many times and tweeted it too.

Government announces plan to break up the Church of England to make it "more competitive with these new funky religions like Yoga or the Tom Cruise one"

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th April 2022, 9:40 AM

How many of the woke unfunny comedians of today have gone into dangerous war zones to entertain the troops (for free)[/i]

Yes! Good point Stephen

here's a Nish Kumar joke he's proud of, he's said it many times and tweeted it too.

Government announces plan to break up the Church of England to make it "more competitive with these new funky religions like Yoga or the Tom Cruise one"

That's a killer ?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th April 2022, 7:38 AM

That's what you really think? Honestly?
He/we like certain comedy just because it upsets others.

I didn't mention you at all, or anybody else. I was talking specifically about Kipper, who in numerous posts has admitted that he likes comedies because they upset people. Indeed I quoted a part of his post that said that very thing.

How many of the woke unfunny comedians of today have gone into dangerous war zones to entertain the troops (for free)

When we're putting together a list of comedians who've gone into war zones, I'm sure he'll be on the list.
Until then, I think he can stand down.

And isn't it odd, when I say a right-wing comedian isn't funny, let alone a 'Legend', it's because I'm 'woke' - not because I genuinely don't think he makes the grade
Yet when you say you don't like a black comedian, can you imagine the uproar if I said it was because you're racist?

Those poor bastards. They risk their lives fighting for their country and then have to put up with one of Britain's most ordinary comedians.

Quote: chipolata @ 20th April 2022, 2:48 PM

Those poor bastards. They risk their lives fighting for their country and then have to put up with one of Britain's most ordinary comedians.

From the videos I've seen of him "over there" he was greeted with rapturous applause at his shows whenever he went for not only his near the knuckle material, but that he put himself out to entertain the troops, so your sarcasm is unjustified and not nice.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th April 2022, 4:22 PM

From the videos I've seen of him "over there" he was greeted with rapturous applause at his shows whenever he went for not only his near the knuckle material, but that he put himself out to entertain the troops, so your sarcasm is unjustified and not nice.

LOL! You're such a sensitive snowflake, Herc!

Although there's an interesting point here. When a left wing or woke comedian does something good or for charity they're virtue signalling. Yet when Jim Davidson does it's for the purest and noblest of reasons. Maybe he's virtue signalling ttoo? Maybe it's a cynical PR ploy? After all, he's had his fair share of bad PR and perhaps wrapping himself in the flag is his way of trying to look good? Of course, I'd never suggest that but then I'd never suggest left wing comedians who talk about asylum seekers etc are virtue signalling either.

Quote: chipolata @ 20th April 2022, 5:31 PM

LOL! You're such a sensitive snowflake, Herc!

It's got f**k all to do with being a snowflake, more to do with pointing the facts out, which clearly don't seem to be allowed in you lefty, misty view.

You don't like a comedian, so let's slag him off and belittle anything he has done - pathetic.

I mean he's hardly a National Treasure
But He was popular, his comedy was quite funny at the time, he hosted a few shows pretty well,( I always enjoyed Big Break ) and starred in an ITV sitcom which is never easy, and I'm surprised his one didn't make the top 10 list on that other thread
Legendary no, national Treasure not really but for a while back in the day he was a National nice Gift from H Samuel

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 20th April 2022, 11:25 PM

Legendary no, national Treasure not really but for a while back in the day he was a National nice Gift from H Samuel

A little more Ratner's, I would say.
?