Is Jim Davidson legendary? Page 3

Boyle seems to be untouchable, the way he keeps getting away with cruel jokes. I think he told some more jokes about Jordan's blind son recently, didn't he? One of them was just straight up mocking him for being blind. What a little twerp. If I had a blind kid, or, for that matter, a Down's Syndrome kid, and I lived in London, I'd seriously be tempted to track him down and nut him. I mean the man's got kids himself, for f**k's sake.

Is Jim Davison a legend? Well, it depends on whether you mean TV or as a stand-up. I'd say no to both as that's just my personal taste but if you disgaree I completely understand.

Legendary?

After Hell's Kitchen? He's nothing but a homophobic ginger c**t.

Jesus, yeah.

He showed on that programme alone what a total, complete and utter shower of f**king bollocks he really is.

Horrible, nasty piece of shite.

Doesn't being a legend mean we're not certain if he really existed?

He's certainly going/gone down in comedy legend.

Is Davidson legendary? No. Never mind the racism, he just doesn't qualify for legendary status. If he did, the average person could probably name at least 3 funny things he's said or done, the way they do when talking about people like Ronnie Barker or Steve Coogan, and 99.9% of people can't do that with Davidson.

There's a difference though, in how we use the term 'legend'.

If we're talking about a legend as something that's not going to be easily forgotten - that is, notorious - then he certainly fits the bill.

But if you're using 'legend' in the same vein as 'god' or 'genius', then no, I don't think he does.

He fits the notorious bill more now, defo, but he has played up to that a lot, he's not stupid, he's got more work out of it. He couldn't water down his act even if he wanted to. It's like Chubby Brown said, once you become a blue comic there is no going back. Having said that, I really don't think he's as racist as some think he is, I think it's much more a case that he believes everyone is fair game in comedy and hates the 'You can't do that joke' thing. But does he do disabled jokes like Boyle? I've never heard him do one.

With Davidson it's slightly unusual in that he had a very successful side career as mainstream TV host, and was extremely good at it, like Bob Monkhouse, and I'm pretty sure they both earned more from that than their stand up work. I think what probably makes Davidson bitter is he knows this is finished, even though he didn't put a foot wrong when doing it. It seems to have made him bitter and that came out in that last clip.

Considering the impact he made and the debate he's still causing then I'd call him legendary, certainly.

He's racist enough.

Chubby Brown has made himself massively wealthy and loved by being too blue for TV, so good luck to him.

That said UFO was awful.

Quote: sootyj @ March 31 2011, 9:51 AM BST

He's racist enough.

But isn't it more a case of being extremely patriotic, having old fashioned values and refusing to bow to PCness? He's got black mates, but still likes to have a dig at some black cultural elements he thinks are funny, or fair game.

I didn't think there was ever much malicious about his 'racism'. It stems from the Irishman, Englishman, Scotsman type joke, and the Chalky's got a big willy type joke, this isn't malicious, it's merely out of fashion playground humour.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 31 2011, 10:33 AM BST

But isn't it more a case of being extremely patriotic, having old fashioned values and refusing to bow to PCness?

Being a massive racist isn't some noble act, or someone refusing to 'be PC'. It's just someone being a c**t.

Yeah, in throwing around these 'racism' accusations, let's not forget that he lived in Dubai from 2004 until just last summer.

Hardly the act of someone who really hates anyone who's not white.

Say what you will about the content of his stand-up act, but let's not make uneducated accusations of his personal, real beliefs off-stage.

Quote: zooo @ March 31 2011, 12:33 PM BST

Being a massive racist isn't some noble act, or someone refusing to 'be PC'. It's just someone being a c**t.

That was a general point, btw. People keep throwing in 'PC' whenever racism or homophobia is mentioned, and to me they are not particularly linked.

I think far too much is made of racism, most people I've met have a touch of racism about them, it doesn't make them bad people automatically. It's a natural human condition, I'd say. Maybe not a desirable one, no.

And anyway, we've gone into this before about most of it being 'culturalist' because it seems to me not to be based soley on skin colour, not these days, maybe it was in the 60s and 70s yes, but today racism has a much broader definition and is far more complicated an issue.