Is Jim Davidson legendary?

Ok, before you answer, please watch these 3 clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98baQT1qj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnLRpZgcUbY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKKPbNhTkL4&feature=related

Jim used to be great on Big Break and was a big name up until fairly recently. I can't understand why he isn't on Tv anymore. Ant and Dec, X Factor etc are rubbish compared to shows like Big Break.

So anyway, who agrees Jim Davidson is legendary and deserves to be in the top 3 of everyone (who knows about good comedy) comic legends lists?

I don't dislike him. He was good in his day but fashions change and he can't get on TV now. I understand the play wot he rote had to be cancelled because he couldn't sell enough tickets. Maybe he should've done it under a pseudonym.

He did star in the play too...

I have a soft spot for Jim. I enjoy Up The Elephant And Round The Castle and Home James!.

Quote: Chappers @ March 28 2011, 10:51 PM BST

I don't dislike him. He was good in his day but fashions change and he can't get on TV now. I understand the play wot he rote had to be cancelled because he couldn't sell enough tickets. Maybe he should've done it under a pseudonym.

Why should he use a pseudonym? His name alone should be enough to put bums on seats!

He is better than Ant and Dec or Peter Kay or pretty much any other 'entertainers' in the mainstream today.

Quote: Kanavan @ March 28 2011, 10:55 PM BST

Why should he use a pseudonym? His name alone should be enough to put bums on seats!

He is better than Ant and Dec or Peter Kay or pretty much any other 'entertainers' in the mainstream today.

Do you know any current entertainers other than Ant and Dec and Peter Kay?

Quote: Badge @ March 28 2011, 10:56 PM BST

Do you know any current entertainers other than Ant and Dec and Peter Kay?

Yes, Jim Davidson. Laughing out loud

Do you Jim Davidson and Michael Barrymore share the same agent by any chance?

I quite liked John Virgo on big break.

Quote: Chappers @ March 28 2011, 11:08 PM BST

Do you Jim Davidson and Michael Barrymore share the same bed by any chance?

Cheeky!

Quote: Chappers @ March 28 2011, 11:08 PM BST

Do you Jim Davidson and Michael Barrymore share the same agent by any chance?

No, I'm not in the entertainment business, I am, however, a fan of REAL comedians.

Hadn't heard from Jim Davidson for along time but he turned up on Richard Bacon's Fivelive show a couple of weeks ago and was his usual obnoxious self. He was still banging on about leftie comedians like some 85 year old complaining about young popstars like Mick Jagger needing a good hair cut.

I find him and his stand up very unpleasant, but I did quite like one sitcom he was in, mentioned earlier, Up the Elephant and Round the Castle.

That's why I like him, he's very honest with his grudges and his leanings, he doesn't hide them, he's old school, that's it, and proud of it. He's a gifted comedian, whose ability as a TV game show host have done his reputation no favours, as it didn't for Bob Monkhouse!

He is nowhere near as offensive as Frankie Boyle, who's cool enough for Channel 4. If C4 go on in this stereotype challenging way, they'll have to give Davidson a show soon. I think he'd be fantastic on Channel 4.

Having said that, that last clip was appalling, much more unpleasant than even the first one doing his old Chalky act. I didn't know how bitter and angry he'd got, maybe it's best to keep him off the TV then.

I see one major difference between the two. Frankie comes across as playing a character - saying horrible things, but not meaning them. (ie, he could make a racist or homophobic joke, but I don't believe for one second that he is racist or homophobic as a person). Davidson comes across as meaning what he says, and therefore being just as vile as the things he says.

Some people may not see a difference, and others may not care that there is one. But that's how I see it, and that's why Frankie doesn't offend me and Davidson does.

Jim Davison is a very talented performer, but his material is just stale, rehashed bigotry. He has terrible views on different cultures and women, which he communicicates in both his 'comedy' and interviews that he does. If you enjoy a man saying horrible things about people, and meaning every word, then this is your bag. It's not mine. I find him vile.