Rubbish Sitcoms Page 2

Well there you see it, one person's rubbish sitcom is another's comedy gold...

The Dustbinmen - It's dated, it probably shows the problem when a brilliant playwright has a go at doing comedy. It was full of those northern colloquialisms that don't seem to go down well these days as nobody ever uses them. It was one of a string of these working class comedies which were just entering at that time and much inferior to the likes of Till Death Us Do Part and Steptoe & Son. Jack Rosenthal is a genius though, who produced great comedic dramas. Not easy for a playwright to adapt to sitcom, such as the creators of Upstairs Downstairs wrote a supposedly awful WC sitcom called Inn For A Penny starring Bob Todd. That said though, The Lovers, also written by Jack Rosenthal, was very good.

Yus, My Dear - Seen the characters who starred in it playing the same characters in Holiday On The Buses. Never seen it and don't intend buying it. Will be far more interested in seeing the show it spun off from, Romany Jones (well only the first series of 'Jones as it stars the legend that was James Beck). Hopefully, I can see a Network release here.

Barbara - I very much enjoyed. Very funny stuff.

You Rang, M'Lord? - Loved it when it was first on, but was very young then. I got the DVDs a few years back and did quite enjoy them again, but not as much as first time round. Su Pollard irritates me. But I do like Paul Shane and absolutely love the double act of Don Hewlett and Michael Knowles who were also great together in It Ain't Half Hot Mum and played again pretty much the same double act in...

... Come Back Mrs. Noah - Actually watched a few episodes of this recently for the first time. Not great but not awful. Hewlett and Knowles did carry the show a lot in this

I'd personally point out: Fresh Fields, which was a poor man's Terry & June - which isn't a good thing at all. Absolutely shocking. And The Nineteenth Hole was pretty bad also, despite starring Eric Sykes and being written by Johnny Speight.

I looked up Romany Jones, and I do remember it but with the second cast. Posh couple live next to a a not posh couple in a seedy caravan site. Even at the time it seems a bit "comedy by numbers" all the stock situations worked through.

I suspect The Dustbinmen was mentioned in response to the thread title.

Quote: Aaron @ February 5 2011, 10:10 PM GMT

Have most of those on DVD too...

Really rather enjoy After Henry.

After Henry was a gentle comedy. Not too bad, better than Last of the Summer Wine!

Romany Jones and Yus, My Dear were routine mid-70s ITV entries, emminently watchable as forgettable fluff fare at the time, neither good nor bad: probably indifferent. Whether these comedies would stand up today I'm not too sure: I doubt if I'd personally shell out for the DVDs unless I saw them offered at bargain-basement prices.

Mike Reid out of EastEnders/The Comedians appeared in one of these shows, but I can't remember which one.

Meet The Magoons; terrible.

IMO, Men Behaving Badly. Haven't liked Ab Fab either from clips I've seen

The last decade alone -

Blessed
Home Again
The Green Green Grass

I won't mention less traditional ones which are terrible - like The Office. Damn, I just did ...

Quote: Dave @ February 7 2011, 10:05 AM GMT

I won't mention less traditional ones which are terrible - like The Office. Damn, I just did ...

Booooooooooo!

Lunch Monkeys. I can't even muster the energy to hate it it's so blandly generic.

Quote: Dave @ February 7 2011, 10:05 AM GMT

Errr

Quote: peter gazzard @ February 7 2011, 9:03 AM GMT

Haven't liked Ab Fab either from clips I've seen

Bit much to call it rubbish when you haven't even watched an episode!

The Dustbinmen has somehow eluded me completely while others I am aware of even if I didn't watch. There's a still a few mentioned that I wouldn't be against watching as opposed to another bleedin' repeat of Escape to the Country...

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 7 2011, 1:09 PM GMT

Bit much to call it rubbish when you haven't even watched an episode!

Agreed!

Quote: Rico El Vista @ February 6 2011, 6:26 PM GMT

Mike Reid out of EastEnders/The Comedians appeared in one of these shows, but I can't remember which one.

Yus, My Dear.

Quote: don rushmore @ February 6 2011, 7:56 PM GMT

Meet The Magoons; terrible.

Admittedly I've not watched it since broadcast in 2005, but I really quite enjoyed that one - certainly very good for an 'ethnic' comedy.