Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights Page 12

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2010, 1:54 PM GMT

I'm sure many people are aware that he is known as an expert gag crafter; but of course he did some dodgy racist stuff, let's not pretend he didn't.

That's part of the point I was making. Taboos in comedy are only a product of the now. Manning's paki jokes are seen as highly dodgy now, whereas 30 years ago he was telling them on Parkinson. Whereas Frankie Boyle's disabled / rape / mental illness / child abuse gags are acceptable enough to be broadcast on TV today. It's interesting.

Quote: zooo @ December 10 2010, 1:35 PM GMT

(If we're comparing him to Frankie, as we seem to be doing.)

I certainly wasn't comparing Frankie to Bernard Manning, just using Manning as an example of a comedian whose humour fell out of fashion and became taboo.
Actually I'm not sure what I'm saying anymore. :S

I might go back to bed.

Quote: Oldrocker @ December 10 2010, 1:34 AM GMT

And exactly how am I supposed to sleep now with this hanging over me?

What one such thing?

1971? I was 25 and madly gay (watch it!) . . moving on to my second marriage.

Angry

It's ok, I've Googled it.

And it's not funny, not in any PC sense, it's just, not funny.

Not offensive and not that funny. I don't understand why Dara got an erection over it. Eh?

Also, the joke about Jordan's child... again, it was just a fairly obvious gag, but remember, people just LOVE to be offended. He's disabled and black - f**king field day for the PC tossers.

Whether or not these gags should have been broadcast, my surprise is that people are talking about the Jordan gags, rather than the ones about Jade Goody. I guess it's just that Jordan is the one that complained and so got the column inches (no pun!), but it was the jokes about Goody that took me by surprise - like the studio audience, I took a sharp intake of breath when he did that gag about sex getting better as she died. Someone at Channel 4 has balls to allow that to go out.

I think it safe to say if this had been on the BBC we'd be in Sachsgate 2 territory by now. We could still end up there, as Ofcom have just confirmed they're launching an investigation.

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 10 2010, 2:31 PM GMT

That's part of the point I was making. Taboos in comedy are only a product of the now. Manning's paki jokes are seen as highly dodgy now, whereas 30 years ago he was telling them on Parkinson. Whereas Frankie Boyle's disabled / rape / mental illness / child abuse gags are acceptable enough to be broadcast on TV today. It's interesting.

I certainly wasn't comparing Frankie to Bernard Manning, just using Manning as an example of a comedian whose humour fell out of fashion and became taboo.
Actually I'm not sure what I'm saying anymore. :S

I might go back to bed.

The jokes about mental illness were actually about religion and church corruption (paedophillia/nazism). I don't think people listen properly. FB really is a resolutely satirical comedian - something manning never was, even by default.

"Religion's just what we thought before we understood what mental illness was.
- a bush talked to me.
-brilliant, what did the bush say? Let's write it down. Let's live out lives by what the bush said.
You stupid f**king c**ts."

"The Pope says he loved meeting Susan Boyle, it took him back to his youth, when he was being trained to kill the mentally ill."

Sleep well.

Well there was the sketch making fun of the understand mental illness advert

Quote: Mark @ December 10 2010, 2:59 PM GMT

Whether or not these gags should have been broadcast, my surprise is that people are talking about the Jordan gags, rather than the ones about Jade Goody. I guess it's just that Jordan is the one that complained and so got the column inches (no pun!), but it was the jokes about Goody that took me by surprise - like the studio audience, I took a sharp intake of breath when he did that gag about sex getting better as she died. Someone at Channel 4 has balls to allow that to go out.

I think it safe to say if this had been on the BBC we'd be in Sachsgate 2 territory by now. We could still end up there, as Ofcom have just confirmed they're launching an investigation.

Andrew Sachs is a much-loved and thoroughly nice elderly man. He's a Holocaust-refugee to boot. It's no wonder the public rallied to his support.

Jade Goody is widely perceived as a young, foul-mouthed, racist guttersnipe.

I don't foresee quite the same level of public outrage.

Quote: sootyj @ December 10 2010, 3:12 PM GMT

Well there was the sketch making fun of the understand mental illness advert

Yeah, that wasn't good.

F**k Jordan, she's just a walking stretchmark.

Quote: Mark @ December 10 2010, 2:59 PM GMT

It's a good comparison. And as with Sachsgate you just needed somebody higher up the food chain to exercise a bit more editorial control over the "talent".

Sorry, but there's no comparison to 'Sachsgate'. Tramadol Nights was broadcast on the telly. I doubt if Jordan even saw it. Harvey certainly didn't. Frankie Boyle didn't phone her up and take the piss out of her live on air. Jesus what a f**ked up society we inhabit.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 10 2010, 4:12 PM GMT

Jesus what a f**ked up society we inhabit.

Have a cup of tea and a biscuit, things won't seem so bad.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2010, 5:00 PM GMT

Have a cup of c**ting tea and a motherf**king biscuit, things won't seem so bad you crybaby rasta clart mofo. Now give me your phone or I'll gut you.

That's just proof of what a horrible society we live in

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 10 2010, 4:12 PM GMT

Sorry, but there's no comparison to 'Sachsgate'.

Yeah there is. All it needed was for somebody to say to Boyle, "The Harvey jokes are a bit shit, a bit nasty, and serve no satirical purpose. Cut them." Just like somebody should have said to Ross/Brand, "The Sachs stuff is a bit shit, a bit nasty, and serves no satirical purpose. Cut it." Storm in a teacup avoided.

Sorry, but anything that knocks Jordan down a peg or two is permissible to me.

She's an appalling person who has pimped herself and her family across all media. The pain over the Harvey comment is manufactured and has been cynically co-opted to get her back in the papers and magazines she rarely is absent from.

She is an appalling example to women/mothers/young girls, stands for nothing other than the cynical pursuit of money and the exploitation of every human asset or emotion.

Her books waste paper and shelf space and only the most degraded society that had forgotten why it came into being could make her famous and respected.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 10 2010, 5:25 PM GMT

Sorry, but anything that knocks Jordan down a peg or two is permissible to me.

But it's the child that's the issue here. There's no cure for his condition; for the rest of his life, he's stuck with her as his mother.