Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights Page 14

Quote: chipolata @ December 10 2010, 11:33 PM GMT

I agree. There is something unseemly about the way people use their dislike of Katie Price to justify telling a lot of nasty jokes about a disabled kid.

You forget how totally satirical it was. Because, you know, she's a bit annoying. Errr

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2010, 11:37 PM GMT

You forget how totally satirical it was. Because, you know, she's a bit annoying. Errr

Satire is a bit more than poking fun at people we think are beneath us in terms of intelligence or morals or sexual goings on. The fact that people can still think it is a legitimate target to lambast a woman for having sex with more than one partner in this day and age is frankly saddening - especially here.

Quote: Marc P @ December 10 2010, 11:42 PM GMT

Satire is a bit more than poking fun at people we think are beneath us in terms of intelligence or morals or sexual goings on. The fact that people can still think it is a legitimate target to lambast a woman for having sex with more than one partner in this day and age is frankly saddening - especially here.

(My post was sarcastic!)

Jordan claims to have slept only with a relatively small number of men and her claim seems likely to be true - if only because, if it were wildly inaccurate, ex-lovers would be coming forward to dispute it, and they're not.

The public's dislike of her appears to be based largely on a general dislike of people who achieve fame and fortune without doing much work of displaying much talent.

In Jordan's case, that dislike is exacerbated by the public's affection for her ex-husband Peter Andre.

I laughed at the rape joke. Not because of anything to do with Harvey or his disabilities, but at a) the overall absurdity of it, and b) the idea that that is the only reason she married Alex Reid.

And why the latter? Because I've been forced to sit through some of her odious programming, and frankly, if they are in 'love' it is some dark, twisted form of 'love' that I have never seen before and hope I don't have the misfortune to again.

Loved the Jade Goody joke too. Again, the absurdity of it is what got me. I don't see it as a joke at her expense, because it was playing on statement of fact (i.e. that she suffered from cervical cancer) and not belittling or otherwise attacking her on a similar basis.

Massive respect for Frankie Boyle and CH4 for getting this cutting edge material onto TV. His sketch The Magic Wee Hing (Ep2) is perhaps the funniest thing I have seen in my whole life. Everything is perfect; the wee 'hing's voice, it's tedious clichés, the festive overtones. I was crying at the rabbit bit and nearly threw up laughing at the end. This is genius, it's brilliant and right up there with Doug Stanhope in the 'not for pussies' category.

This is comedy for people who hate the mainstream. Jade Goody and Jordan represent the most crass aspects of that. If they (or others) are offended by these jokes, then it's easy enough to avoid this material. Unfortunately it is not so easy to avoid these vulgar banalities, whose existence (to paraphrase Hicks) in the same space time continuum as my own, takes a far higher psychic toll.

Horns up Frankie!

Quote: Aaron @ December 11 2010, 12:54 AM GMT

Loved the Jade Goody joke too. Again, the absurdity of it is what got me. I don't see it as a joke at her expense, because it was playing on statement of fact (i.e. that she suffered from cervical cancer) and not belittling or otherwise attacking her on a similar basis.

I think the problem with the Harvey jokes is that the " statement of fact " being played on is that this disabled child is an inhuman sex-crazed monster who should be feared. Not really a fact at all, more like a "statement of ignorance" which belongs to the distant past.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2010, 11:47 PM GMT

(My post was sarcastic!)

:D

oops sorry.

I didn't notice any 'whore' or 'big vagina' references to Jordan in this thread. Please point them out. Her sexual history has no bearing on me thinking she is a despicable c**t, who figureheads much that is wrong with Britain in media terms.

For people who were offended by the Harvey joke and think it is unacceptable/cowardly whatever - try not to be offended on behalf of other people if you can. Also try not to reify your own psyche into that of a crippled child. Also learn that media targets are not actual people but tokens or signifiers.

try not to be offended on behalf of other people if you can

Brilliantly put Godot.

That is most of the problem with this PC society we live in.

And I back this up through knowing and talking to people who are being shielded by political correctness

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 11 2010, 9:31 AM GMT

For people who were offended by the Harvey joke and think it is unacceptable/cowardly whatever - try not to be offended on behalf of other people if you can. Also try not to reify your own psyche into that of a crippled child. Also learn that media targets are not actual people but tokens or signifiers.

Excellent, Godot! I will now be able to justify checking my humanity at the door. ;)

Watched all of this last night and laughed at the gag about Harvey f**king her. I'm not ashamed.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 11 2010, 9:31 AM GMT

For people who were offended by the Harvey joke and think it is unacceptable/cowardly whatever - try not to be offended on behalf of other people if you can.

Yeah, I'm not sure anyone is offended by it, those that didn't like the gag much just think it was perhaps a bit nasty. Perhaps they feel a twinge of empathy, or some such human emotion, who knows.

Again, I sniggered at the gag, and I wouldn't have asked for it to be cut, but it's obviously nasty, in very poor taste and with little in the way of justification other than 'I hate Jordon, boo-hoo'.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ December 11 2010, 9:54 AM GMT

That is most of the problem with this PC society we live in.

Yeah, how dare people care about others!

Quote: seistan roberts @ December 11 2010, 1:02 AM GMT

Massive respect for Frankie Boyle and CH4 for getting this cutting edge material onto TV. His sketch The Magic Wee Hing (Ep2) is perhaps the funniest thing I have seen in my whole life. Everything is perfect; the wee 'hing's voice, it's tedious clichés, the festive overtones. I was crying at the rabbit bit and nearly threw up laughing at the end. This is genius, it's brilliant and right up there with Doug Stanhope in the 'not for pussies' category.

This is comedy for people who hate the mainstream. Jade Goody and Jordan represent the most crass aspects of that. If they (or others) are offended by these jokes, then it's easy enough to avoid this material. Unfortunately it is not so easy to avoid these vulgar banalities, whose existence (to paraphrase Hicks) in the same space time continuum as my own, takes a far higher psychic toll.

Horns up Frankie!

What do think is "cutting edge" about this show? If anything, it's pretty dated (Knight Rider, The Green Mile, Jade Goody and Michael Jackson references), and if it's the shock value you find refreshing well... I mentioned Wondershowzen a few posts back and Boyle is a confirmed fan of Monkey Dust. That show was broadcast in 2003 to a mixed reception - it was hardly viewed as ahead of its time, yet Frankie's sketches (which I think are barely an iota removed from the material on that show) are somehow "cutting edge"?

As for this being comedy for people who hate the mainstream: Frankie Boyle IS mainstream. He sells out arenas, his DVDs fly off the shelves in their thousands upon thousands. Mock the Week was watched by millions and he was the big draw for a lot of people. Look, Sadowitz he ain't.

"Unfortunately it is not so easy to avoid these vulgar banalities"

Agreed. In fact it's nigh-on impossible to avoid them when he wheels them out on Mock the Week, on tour (and accompanying live DVD), on Tramadol Nights, on You Have Been Watching, on Argumental...

Quote: sootyj @ December 11 2010, 2:45 PM GMT

There is not enough mockery or venom in the world.

Yes, everyone is lovely to each other!