Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights Page 11

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 10 2010, 12:13 PM GMT

Isn't that a bit like saying you don't get scared on rollercoasters because you know what to expect?

Well, not really, no!

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 10 2010, 1:02 PM GMT

Stephen Fry is an enlightened fan of comedy, isn't he?

And he CERTAINLY lauds Bernard Manning as a brave and master gagsmith.

Are you sure he said 'brave'? I can well imagine he thinks he was a great gag man; but 'brave'?

Hmm, agreed. He could possibly be said to be brave if he was doing those gags now. But his defenders/fans often say 'that's how people thought back then, it's not his fault' etc, so to an extent, and if that is true, then it can't have required all that much bravery to tell racist jokes can it?

Manning's career didn't die when the first episode of The Young Ones was broadcast. His TV career may have waned somewhat, but he was still an active stand-up comedian until he died.

Not that active, he mainly just stood there. Sweating.

I believe (I could easily be wrong) that later in life he just played clubs, he didn't have a national TV show he was performing that material on?

(If we're comparing him to Frankie, as we seem to be doing.)

Quote: zooo @ December 10 2010, 1:35 PM GMT

I believe (I could easily be wrong) that later in life he just played clubs, he didn't have a national TV show he was performing that material on? (If we're comparing him to Frankie, as we seem to be doing.)

Did many comedians during that period?

Quote: zooo @ December 10 2010, 1:35 PM GMT

I believe (I could easily be wrong) that later in life he just played clubs, he didn't have a national TV show he was performing that material on?

Yeah, as I said, his TV career waned, but he still performed in clubs and I believe toured. There were still people seeing his act and material afresh, and still the odd programme made with or about him.

Quote: chipolata @ December 10 2010, 1:39 PM GMT

Did many comedians during that period?

Russ Abbott.

Quote: Aaron @ December 10 2010, 1:40 PM GMT

and still the odd programme made with or about him.

Like that lovely one where he sat about in his big underpants.

Quote: Aaron @ December 10 2010, 1:40 PM GMT

There were still people seeing his act and material afresh,

There is always an audience for that sort of stuff.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 10 2010, 1:42 PM GMT

Russ Abbott.

Good show. Especially his ginger Scotch man. Who was funnier than the ginger Scotch man this thread is about.

He loved a party with a happy atmosphere. He really did.

Lenny Bruce was vilified by countless people who'd never seen him perform.

The Sex Pistols were vilified by countless people who'd never seen them perform.

'Life of Brian' was vilified by countless people who'd never seen it.

Bernard Manning was (and continues to be) vilified by countless people who've never seen him perform.

What a wonderfully enlightened society we live in.

Frankie Boyle should be made Prime Minister: he'd soon sort us out.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 10 2010, 1:51 PM GMT

Bernard Manning was (and continues to be) vilified by countless people who've never seen him perform.

I'm sure many people are aware that he is known as an expert gag crafter; but of course he did some dodgy racist stuff, let's not pretend he didn't.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 10 2010, 1:51 PM GMT

Lenny Bruce was vilified by countless people who'd never seen him perform.

The Sex Pistols were vilified by countless people who'd never seen them perform.

'Life of Brian' was vilified by countless people who'd never seen it.

Were they all Sun columnists too?

Quote: Nat Wicks @ December 10 2010, 9:36 AM GMT

Oh I like that a lot. Do you make that up? Can I steal it for something?

I believe I did. You're welcome to it. :)

Quote: Lee Henman @ December 10 2010, 12:09 PM GMT

The line for me is taking the piss out of disabled kids. It just makes me wince because it's a target that can't possibly defend itself. But that's just my personal opinion and others will find it hilarious.

See my earlier reply to Nogget. You guys need to read the whole thread, or at least the page before you post. Anyway here it is again.

"When Paul Schrader and Martin Scorsese made Taxi Driver they spent some time trawling the underbelly of NY that the film reflected. In particular they were looking for a white pimp, as the studio insisted that Jodie Foster's pimp be played by a white actor and not a black one.

They couldn't find a white pimp. It's quite possible there were none. The film was made with a white actor playing Jodie Foster's pimp even though Schrader had envisioned a black actor when he wrote the role. Even though the character was named 'Sport' which was clearly a black man's name.

The black pimp became a white one because some people can't take it as it is. Usually, though not always, people who whine about racism can't take it how it is. The victims of racism know how it is.

I'm not OK with racism but I'm very f**king OK with people who complain about racism."

You outraged types may also like to consider this which you also missed (or ignored).

"My point is this: Someone's f**king you in the arse with a knife at your throat and as you scrabble on the ground, trying to get away, you accidentally crush a flower with your hand. And the evil rapist looks down at you and says. 'Did you just crush that beautiful flower? You f**king monster.'"