Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights Page 16

Quote: Daniel Faulkner @ December 12 2010, 8:32 PM GMT

Some people will find this offensive or feel that this is just wrong and poor comedy, to this I say you are wrong.

No, if people don't like a joke, they are not 'wrong'.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 12 2010, 2:29 PM GMT

Really don't bring up the Nazis into relation to Frankie Boyle, it's embarrassing.

Rather think you've misunderstood the point I was making, Godot. (Not for the first time either...) Stop being so angry all the time, you big loveable fluffy kitten of a man, you. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 12 2010, 8:58 PM GMT

Rather think you've misunderstood the point I was making, Godot. (Not for the first time either...) Stop being so angry all the time, you big loveable fluffy kitten of a man, you. :)

This is nothing compared to his Doctor Who rants.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 12 2010, 8:55 PM GMT

No, if people don't like a joke, they are not 'wrong'.

That is a vague response. You either misunderstood my point or you failed to read on to my explanation of what makes someone "wrong". I would also like to reiterate that I did not aim for this to be a cause for commotion as it was merely my input to a topic which I felt the need to explain my point of view. It is not something you can just quote and pick apart. It is something to accept and move on.

Quote: sootyj @ December 12 2010, 8:49 PM GMT

I agree with much of that.

I think the jokes about lusty black men and dangerous mentally ill people infintely more offensive.

But no one seems to care.

Some of the sketches entertained. But in the main this was poor.
Tired old sketches, dated targets and thew shock factor of a village idiot asking you to sniff his finger.

And so what if George Micheal likes a wank in his car? So what?
It's sniggering homophobia of the lowest order.

I thought the sketches were a bit long in the first episode. Second one not so bad. I think he could have broken the sketches up a little bit like some of the more succesful sketch shows and then the stand up could have filled up the spaces inbetween - ah well :D

Can't wait for episode 3 though!

Quote: Daniel Faulkner @ December 12 2010, 11:05 PM GMT

it was merely my input to a topic which I felt the need to explain my point of view. It is not something you can just quote and pick apart. It is something to accept and move on.

Laughing out loud

Good man.

Quote: Gregor Shamsa @ December 11 2010, 1:55 PM GMT

What do think is "cutting edge" about this show? If anything, it's pretty dated (Knight Rider, The Green Mile, Jade Goody and Michael Jackson references), and if it's the shock value you find refreshing well... I mentioned Wondershowzen a few posts back and Boyle is a confirmed fan of Monkey Dust. That show was broadcast in 2003 to a mixed reception - it was hardly viewed as ahead of its time, yet Frankie's sketches (which I think are barely an iota removed from the material on that show) are somehow "cutting edge"?

As for this being comedy for people who hate the mainstream: Frankie Boyle IS mainstream. He sells out arenas, his DVDs fly off the shelves in their thousands upon thousands. Mock the Week was watched by millions and he was the big draw for a lot of people. Look, Sadowitz he ain't.

"Unfortunately it is not so easy to avoid these vulgar banalities"

Agreed. In fact it's nigh-on impossible to avoid them when he wheels them out on Mock the Week, on tour (and accompanying live DVD), on Tramadol Nights, on You Have Been Watching, on Argumental...

Frankie Boyle is going to come under a lot of flak for this material and the bulk of it will not be from Sadowitz berating him for selling out. I just posted here cause I was so overjoyed with one sketch in particular and whaddayaknow someone thinks this is Question Time... Yes I do think a sketch about Night Rider injecting smack while driving, walking about in a "Suck my Pussy" shirt while suffering from mental illness is cutting edge. Maybe it's mainstream for you - I don't know what you jack off to online - but it is at the forefront of what's permissible on TV = cutting edge.

Boyle may be no underground comedian but being popular is not the same as being mainstream any more than being mainstream renders one popular - ask all your friend Wave

A sketch about Knight Rider being mentally ill and taking heroin, which ignore Hasslehoff's problems with alcohol subsequently and bizarre reality TV career, is so topically ignorant it defies belief.

If that is cutting eddge might I suggest visiitng your local junior school?

You know . . . whenever I read posts in which the comedy of hugely successful, nationally famous, highly controversial millionaire comedians with their own TV shows is deemed to be unfunny, boring, pointless or otherwise unworthy of being called 'comedy', I think of my own unfunny, boring, pointless, unworthy, controversial work and feel a lovely, warm glow all over.

Unimpressed

Being dark, or rude, does not automatically make you cutting edge.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 13 2010, 9:08 AM GMT

Being dark, or rude, does not automatically make you cutting edge.

Indeed, it doesn't.

The Young Ones and Mighty Boosh might be said to have been at the cutting edge because they were adored by millions while being like nothing the average viewer had seen before.

Likewise, Tramadol Nights is on a mainstream TV channel, pulling in an audience of millions with its comedy by going as far as broadcast regulations, the law, and current standards of public decency will allow.

I think it's fair to say it's cutting edge TV.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 13 2010, 9:28 AM GMT

by going as far as broadcast regulations, the law, and current standards of public decency will allow.

I always took cutting edge to mean state of the art. I think people are mimbling up a couple of expressions here maybe. The word cutting being taken literally. Really it just means the best. So one may think that of Mr B - but it is just a subjective opinion.

I think of 'cutting edge' material as that which breaks new ground.

Not to me. And I'm not talking about the quality of the material, just the show itself doesn't feel at all cutting edge to me.

, pulling in an audience of millions

I think the second episode got less than a million.

Quote: Marc P @ December 13 2010, 9:37 AM GMT

Really it just means the best.

At their peak, Morecambe and Wise were arguably 'the best'.

But they weren't 'cutting edge', surely?

Quote: Nogget @ December 13 2010, 9:40 AM GMT

I think of 'cutting edge' material as that which breaks new ground.

In the sense of advancement yes.