Coming Of Age - Pilot & Series 1 Page 4

I will happily come on here after my sitcom is finished and watch everyone slag it off, content in the knowledge that my poor, kitchen-based shitcom paid me enough for a down-payment on some Smarties...

Dan

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 13, 2008, 10:56 AM

This may be a first for the site, but I'll quote a Philip Larkin poem...

'Easy to write when you're young and have nothing to write about'

A bit of erudition - nice.

Off the top of my head:

The verses you scrap sound like school songs -or sillier - banal beyond belief

'Nothing, like something, happens everywhere'

Does anybody actually like this show? The previews I've seen of this have given it across the board slating. Why did it get a full series after a lousy pilot?

Quote: chipolata @ September 30 2008, 10:56 AM BST

Does anybody actually like this show? The previews I've seen of this have given it across the board slating. Why did it get a full series after a lousy pilot?

Because BBC Three is desperate to attract more 16 - 18 year olds. To be fair, the show might appeal to them... it certainly doesn't appeal to me though. Even if it does hit its target audience, as one reviewer put it, they've done so "without wit and charm".

Quote: Mark @ September 30 2008, 11:49 AM BST

Because BBC Three is desperate to attract more 16 - 18 year olds. To be fair, the show might appeal to them... it certainly doesn't appeal to me though. Even if it does hit its target audience, as one reviewer put it, they've done so "without wit and charm".

It's a shame that all they've managed to do is create a cruder Two Pints of Lager clone. While E4 managed to go for the same audience with the infinitely more charming Inbetweeners.

I won't bother watching it. The trailer put me off for life.

This HAS to be he most unfunny line ever:

BIG TOOTHED UGLY BOY: There's a mobile freakshow.

DOPEY LOOKING MATE: It's a mobile library.

Eh???????????????????????????????/

It sounds like it's Skins without the plots, character breakdowns and... acting.

Seems quite obvious what happened:

HEAD OF COMEDY:
Shit! Skins is a hit on Four. We need to commission the first teen script we can find.

ONLY A P.A. BUT KNOWS MORE THAN HEAD OF COMEDY:
But Sir. We only found one and it's shit.

HEAD OF COMEDY:
Doesn't matter. We need to steal Four's audience.

What did people think of this?

A couple of good moments, and a few decent lines, but on the whole very disappointing. Even with the unashamed crudities, I thought that the pilot had a certain charm - which was just totally absent from this first episode. I had, well, not high, but reasonable hopes for the series, but there was next to no warmth to it at all. It really feels like they squandered a good opportunity. Pity.

To paraphrase Artie from 'The Larry Sanders Show'... "BBC 3 Comedy has hit rock bottom and dropped through to a bottom I never knew even existed."

Laughing out loud

I heard the ridiculous suggestion that the writer is married to Susan Nickson.

This can't possibly be true, as he'd be much, much younger surely?

Oh, Seefacts, apologies as I should PM you/email you about this. But I've finished our Comedy Lab shit and it's off to you/Jan/Caroline tomorrow. Plus, Nira & Tamzin at Big Talk want to meet with both of us. (Going to f**king regret this in the morning.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 1 2008, 12:43 AM BST

Oh, Seefacts, apologies as I should PM you/email you about this. But I've finished our Comedy Lab shit and it's off to you/Jan/Caroline tomorrow. Plus, Nira & Tamzin at Big Talk want to meet with both of us. (Going to f**king regret this in the morning.)

Blimey. Good work Doc!

Yeah alright, we're all jealous now, take it to pm, you talented arseholes.

;)