Coming Of Age - Pilot & Series 1 Page 9

Quote: Phill @ October 2 2008, 5:23 PM BST

I was just wondering about the age thing because I'm 36 and if I said the 30-somethings knew more about being a teenager than the 19 year old I'd probably be a bit off the mark.

See, I didn't see it as being realistic - I thought of it as heightened reality - more like Blackadder or Father Ted than Only Fools and Horses.

Not that I'm comparing it quality wise to those shows, mind.

I think the non-reality think was cemented for me by things like the rolling shot of the kid offering the presents to the fat girl. If it was meant to be realistic he wouldn't have been able to get ahead of her without her noticing. Or the end scene which would probably have killed both of them. Didn't that mark it out as an over-the-top reality?

The guys in their 30s have been 19 too. And have the hindsight to write in a more considered and mature way. They can look back at those times with honesty, rather than the 'I wish my life was as funny as this' type stuff in Coming Of Age.

Most sitcoms are heightened reality of course, but The Inbetweeners has some mad stuff in that would never happen - and that's streets ahead in quality.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 2 2008, 5:53 PM BST

Most sitcoms are heightened reality of course, but The Inbetweeners has some mad stuff in that would never happen - and that's streets ahead in quality.

Such as? I've either seen, or heard first-hand stories of, pretty much everything featured in The Inbetweeners.

Quote: Aaron @ October 2 2008, 5:59 PM BST

Such as? I've either seen, or heard first-hand stories of, pretty much everything featured in The Inbetweeners.

Sorry, I'm getting confused here now.

I'm not getting my point across.

Yes, the Inbetweeners is heightened reality - like most shows - but also is grounded in reality. So yeah, full of relatable stuff.

Yeah, but you said there's some mad stuff that would never happen. Apart from jumping up and down on the car's bonet, and perhaps losing the car door, it's pretty much all stuff that I've seen or heard of.

But yeah, all shows to an extent are heightened reality.

Quote: Aaron @ October 2 2008, 6:43 PM BST

Yeah, but you said there's some mad stuff that would never happen. Apart from jumping up and down on the car's bonet, and perhaps losing the car door, it's pretty much all stuff that I've seen or heard of.

But yeah, all shows to an extent are heightened reality.

Well, I meant realistic stuff, made sitcom.

Like telling someone's little brother their parents would perish in a nuclear attack and then projectile vomiting over it.

It's still very grounded though.

Getting you teacher naked in a pool - ugh, gay!!!!11111 yes, very amusing - is not.

I actually saw some of this yesterday and can confirm that it is awful, all the cast look too young and most of all it's not funny in the slightest. Overall it's a bit of an insult to the young people it's aimed at. My peers and I were having a much better time when we were that age - the characters in this show seem so immature.

And I see it's apparently set in Abingdon. So why do the characters mostly have London/estuary accents? People in Abingdon have west country accents. This and Beautiful People seem to have really pointless locations. It's as if a show has to pretend to be set in somewhere other than London, but actually turns out that it's just like London. It's like setting a sitcom in a small Lancashire town but all the characters have Scouse accents. Why not just make the location universal or irrelelvant.

To be fair, if they were going to recreate Abingdon properly they'd have to give everyone webbed hands and three eyes.

The guy who made this show actually knows Susan Nickson personally, hence why it probably got commissioned for a full series. And apparently he knows it's a pile of shite.

They'd also need special eyes for staring at anything 'different' and a generally depressed demeanour. Radiohead went to school there, you know. Says it all.

Words can not describe how bad this sitcom is. I am utterly speechless. Sick

Quote: Martin Holmes @ October 6 2008, 11:58 AM BST

The guy who made this show actually knows Susan Nickson personally, hence why it probably got commissioned for a full series. And apparently he knows it's a pile of shite.

Where did you hear that?

Quote: zooo @ October 6 2008, 2:09 PM BST

Where did you hear that?

It's not far from the 'married' thing I heard about. I read that rumour on another comedy site.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 6 2008, 11:49 AM BST

I actually saw some of this yesterday and can confirm that it is awful, all the cast look too young and most of all it's not funny in the slightest. Overall it's a bit of an insult to the young people it's aimed at. My peers and I were having a much better time when we were that age - the characters in this show seem so immature.

And I see it's apparently set in Abingdon. So why do the characters mostly have London/estuary accents? People in Abingdon have west country accents. This and Beautiful People seem to have really pointless locations. It's as if a show has to pretend to be set in somewhere other than London, but actually turns out that it's just like London. It's like setting a sitcom in a small Lancashire town but all the characters have Scouse accents. Why not just make the location universal or irrelelvant.

Liverpool was actually part of Lancashire, until 30-odd years ago.

I find that Coming Of Age comes across like one of those unfunny American pre-to-early-teen Disney Channel kid-coms.

I had my niece stay round mine (8 years old) for 3 days recently who constantly watched that Disney shite, including the one with Britney's sister. Was I tearing my hair out after that or what?

I did try to watch Coming Of (Under)Age tonight, (just to give it a fair airing as I've only seen last week's trailer) but kicked in the TV after two minutes.
(That's two whole minutes)

Unfunny. Can't act. Script is cark.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 2 2008, 6:46 PM BST

Well, I meant realistic stuff, made sitcom.

Like telling someone's little brother their parents would perish in a nuclear attack and then projectile vomiting over it.

It's still very grounded though.

Getting you teacher naked in a pool - ugh, gay!!!!11111 yes, very amusing - is not.

Inbetweeners was true to itself and its world, I feel this one was a bit over the place even for a farce. A lot of the gags were old ones or just about wanking. It was better than the pilot IMO, but its not really for me. I don't think they found a 19 year-old writer with a unique voice, I think they have commissioned the voice of a 19 year-old writer. If ya get me.