Newsjack - Series 3 Page 26

Quote: swerytd @ July 6 2010, 10:24 PM BST

Nah -- I pretty much plaigerised that from 'Critique'. From a suggestion by myself.

Dan

Hmmm ... so, if I'm now thinking 'Yeah? ... and?', I guess that probably makes me a pretty unethical guy.

Yeah, it does. Anyway, it was Trabs' NJ - Dancing on the Dole sketch and it was my own suggestion that I 'stole'.

I'm a bit confused now if I nicked it or not :S

Dan

Mate, your superego is clearly out of control. I've just looked, and that's your gag.

Well, if it was a vox pop on this week's show, I'd have laughed.

Just seen this.
Anyone see it in time to respond?

http://twitter.com/NewsjackBBC

I saw it at lunchtime, but it took me till 5 to come up with a truly miserable one about the eater which probably went straight in the bin.

Couldn't think of anything for lord Ashcroft. The only thing that came into my mind was that non-dom sounds a bit like condom, but I couldn't think where to take it from there. My excuse for not getting stuff on this time will be that I was mostly drunk/hungover this week.

I would count the bit at the end as a sketch to be on the safe side as the last ones have been about 4 lines long - although they can probably pick and mix the best bits from the ones they get in.

I spotted that Japanese hotdog champion story earlier in the week and dismissed it as probably being too obscure and not much of a story. Why are they asking for specific jokes, though?

Had my most successful in week in submitting. Was really happy with everything I sent in. Could have sent in more but quality control kicked in.

Quote: RobJ @ July 7 2010, 10:42 PM BST

Why are they asking for specific jokes, though?

So that rather than being able to relax at 5pm on a Tuesday, we can now spend all day Wednesday checking Twitter!!

Looking at the list of writers for the first three episodes of this series it would appear that around 75 people have received a credit. 70 men and 5 women.*

What does this tell us? Topical comedy is essentially a male activity?

(*It was just a quick look and I didn't bother to look for anyone getting on more than once. And a few of the names are a bit ambiguous. And I suppose some people might be using a false name or something)

If you've made it into the show, do you receive two emails i.e. one saying you've had material recorded for the show, and another saying you've made it?

I had a one-liner in series 2 and received two emails, although I thought it would be better to just receive the 'you've made it' message. I don't want to be given hope I've made it into the final edit because hope is a bad thing.

Quote: Jinky @ July 8 2010, 12:27 PM BST

Looking at the list of writers for the first three episodes of this series it would appear that around 75 people have received a credit. 70 men and 5 women.*

What does this tell us? Topical comedy is essentially a male activity?

The debate on why women are under-represented in comedy continues. Some say it is because men are more aggressive, that it is a male-dominated industry, and others actually claim women just aren't as funny.

Then they ought to split the show into two. Newsjack and Newsjill.

(Partly to encourage female writers but mainly to double our chances of getting stuff on)

Quote: Jinky @ July 8 2010, 4:24 PM BST

Then they ought to split the show into two. Newsjack and Newsjill.

They specifically ask for more material for women to perform, so if you did a sketch for 'Newsjill', you might be increasing your chances.

Ask any producer of any show and they'll tell you the prejudice against women is bullshit. They simply don't get as many submissions from women as men. That isn't their fault is it? The fact that they use women's material in the first place shows they are not prejudice against it.

Positive discrimination isn't an answer either. I'm not saying there didn't used to be a prejudice. They used to be a rumour their were ones against non-Oxbridge writers too. But every selection process is scrutinised by equality procedures nowadays plus it doesn't help producers get the best for their show if they are rejecting stuff just because a woman wrote it.

Plus Newsjack has a cast of two men, two women. Hardly prejudice!

Quote: Nogget @ July 8 2010, 4:41 PM BST

They specifically ask for more material for women to perform, so if you did a sketch for 'Newsjill', you might be increasing your chances.

Yes they are asking that. But notice its 'For women' rather than 'by women'. It is what is funny that counts. Kudos.

I often dress as a woman when writing.

Blimey...just got the email saying I've got something in tonight's show.

Those fake breasts did the trick!