Newsjack - Series 3 Page 23

25 minutes of praying 'Please don't turn it into a voxpop' and then....blimey, my 'acronyms' sketch with added jokes and the last third cut and replaced with a totally different ending.

I feel violated and yet strangely alive at the same time....

Well done Jinky - is that your first broadcast sketch work? If so... well done again!

Well done Jinky

Look forward to hearing the Podcast.

Well done Jinky - is that your first broadcast sketch work? If so... well done again!

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes...my entire 'career' is as follows:

Jan 2010: Declare (a bit like Dave Gorman)that I will write some comedy this year.

Feb 2010: Get a 'voxpop' on Newsjack.

July 2010: Get a 'sketch' on Newsjack.

Considering that I've only written 12 voxpops and one sketch in my entire life, I don't know if I should be quite pleased with myself or quite angry at how lazy I am.

Quote: Jinky @ July 1 2010, 11:16 PM BST

Jan 2010: Declare (a bit like Dave Gorman)that I will write some comedy this year.

Considering that I've only written 12 voxpops and one sketch in my entire life, I don't know if I should be quite pleased with myself or quite angry at how lazy I am.

Nice one Jinky, that's a fantastic hit-rate.

Well, you've started now... best of luck!

Anyone listen to the show last night?

Anyone ever come across this from some time ago?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rOeOiwTPaE

Could they by any chance be related?

Hmm, that is quite similar, isn't it?

I don't think it's intentional -- I suppose you could think of the same idea and end up with similar sketches much as Armstrong & Miller could have done with my 'get injured whilst filming a commercial for injury lawyers' that was on Play & Record about three years previously.

The show was good last night. I did laugh a lot (and at the German sketch you mentioned) and thought it was a big improvement on episode 2.

Well done StephenM for his vox-pop and Jinky for his sketch. Don't worry about the rewrites, mate, I had two sketches rewritten to the point of me not even recognising them when they performed them last series, but I still got a credit! I'm obviously an ideas man...

Dan

Quote: Failed Comedy Writer @ July 1 2010, 9:56 PM BST

Oh, and well done StephenM. Do I recall you mentioning earlier in this thread that this is your first time writing for Newsjack? And you've got in twice?

What's your secret?

I'm afraid I've take exactly the opposite approach to Jinky - sheer weight of numbers. I'm new to the blog but not submitting to Newsjack and my entire history is:

Series 1 - Get a re-written sketch on air, a Correction recorded but not broadcast

Series 2 - Asked to re-write a sketch, not even recorded

Series 3 - Vox pop on air

My secret? If 1% of what you write is any good then you need to write a hundred things.

Oh - and if you're interested mine was the England / Ed Miliband Vox Pop in the last group.

Quote: Jinky @ July 1 2010, 11:16 PM BST

Well done for the good success rate-but of course you can't rest on your laurels. Has Dave Gorman copyrighted new year resolutions now?

I think I must have written a hundred things, nothing on air though.

Quote: StephenM @ July 2 2010, 8:53 AM BST

Oh - and if you're interested mine was the England / Ed Miliband Vox Pop in the last group.

I did like that one a lot. Very good!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ July 2 2010, 9:30 AM BST

I did like that one a lot. Very good!

Dan

Great gag and it got a great response, didn't it? Congrats.

Quote: Bomsh @ July 2 2010, 7:00 AM BST

Anyone listen to the show last night?

Anyone ever come across this from some time ago?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rOeOiwTPaE

Could they by any chance be related?

Yeah, spotted that too. My first throught was it was from the same writer, one of the in house guys, but since 'The Now Show' sketch is from about 2001, I don't think it can be.

Congrats on anybody who got in. I struck in again, with what I thought were my strongest submissions so far. Ah well...

Has Dave Gorman copyrighted new year resolutions now?

It wouldn't surprise me but I was using 'Dave Gorman' as rather lazy shorthand for that whole "Doing something for a drunken bet" that Dave (and Danny Wallace) pretend is the reason they write books and do TV shows.

Mitchell & Webb nailed it with their "Making a cup of tea for everyone in Belgium" sketch.

Anyway, back to pressing F5 every ten minutes on the BBC newspage...waiting for something that can be turned into a parody that uses only the female members of the cast....

Quote: Jinky @ July 2 2010, 10:54 AM BST

It wouldn't surprise me but I was using 'Dave Gorman' as rather lazy shorthand for that whole "Doing something for a drunken bet" that Dave (and Danny Wallace) pretend is the reason they write books and do TV shows.

Mitchell & Webb nailed it with their "Making a cup of tea for everyone in Belgium" sketch.

I always found that quite a surprising sketch. Although reasonably funny, you couldn't even get away with calling it thinly veiled. From memory, It was quite a dig at them.

Well done to all who have got something onto Newsjack, so far I have had the grand total of one Vox Pop on, so it's a credit, but I am kind of hoping for a little bit more.