Newsjack - Series 3 Page 29

Well done to Mikey and all others who got stuff in this week.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 9 2010, 12:54 PM BST

I actually got TWO sketches in.

How many?

Sorry...

two

:P

I was just fortunate, I suppose, that I sent in stuff that was on their "remit."

And no. Second Life was written by Afkinwan. (Have I spelt that right?)

The 3D sketch was inspired by that stupid craze at the moment for 3D films.

Cor.....the gauntlet has been well and truly thrown down.

I'm going to write three 'non-interview' sketches this weekend and get ALL of them on the show. And 4 vox-pops.

Or I could just watch the World Cup instead...

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 9 2010, 1:32 PM BST

And no. Second Life was written by Afkinwan. (Have I spelt that right?)

Oops. My mistake.

Congrats to the successful few. Stick at it to the unsuccessful many.

There was me thinking I was doing well getting a sketch AND a correction on this week. And then Mikey goes and gets two sketches on. Well done!

Quote: chipolata @ July 8 2010, 11:22 PM BST

The thing is, it actually gets a bit boring to listen to. Just one expert after another. There's no variety. I also thought -and I hope I'm not offending anyone - that the Dr Irregular sketch seemed to go on forever with no punchline.

Ahem. I'm afraid that was mine. In my defence it wasn't a Miles / Interview sketch.

Quote: StephenM @ July 9 2010, 1:47 PM BST

Ahem. I'm afraid that was mine. In my defence it wasn't a Miles / Interview sketch.

If it's any consolation, that was the bit of the show that my wife said was "Quite interesting, well at least it was a bit different from the other stuff"

P.S. I loved the 3D real life sketch, laughed out loud this morning when I heard it.

Quote: Jinky @ July 9 2010, 1:51 PM BST

"Quite interesting ... a bit different from the others"

Sounds like my old school reports.

Quote: StephenM @ July 9 2010, 1:47 PM BST

Well done for getting it on. And I actually had high hopes of the sketch, it started well, but for me at least it didn't ultimately work.

Quote: chipolata @ July 9 2010, 2:44 PM BST

Well done for getting it on. And I actually had high hopes of the sketch, it started well, but for me at least it didn't ultimately work.

Fair point. Original idea was that David Beckham was hardly a lucky mascot for Andy Murray, England etc. then just thinking of more and more ridiculous things we can blame him for.

A couple of re-writes (one by me so can't really blame anyone else!) might have lost some of the silliness and the heart of the sketch in a bid to make it punchier.

Must... stop ... over ... analysing ... old ... sketches... and ... write ... new ... ones

I think the Curse Of Beckham sketch worked well.
The oil spill bit was clever.

I had to laugh when I read next week's TV magazine that Beckham will be a guest on the final Jonathan Ross show.

Is it the final show coz Wossy is leaving or is it because of The Curse Of Beckham?

Quote: swerytd @ July 9 2010, 8:27 AM BST

Congrats every who had stuff on.

I agree with chip about too many 'interview' sketches, though on a second listen this morning, it didn't seem quite as many. Seemed funnier on a second listen too.

I noticed Lewis wasn't there this week. Wonder where he was?

Dan

I've just caught up with this and by my reckoning 8 out of 13 sketches were Miles interviews - 9 out of 14 if you count AV as two sketches. It does get a bit samey and the later sketches probably suffered for being "yet another interview". Depends what they are receiving though - the only sketch I sent last week was a Miles interview...

My faves this week were Mikey's 3D sketch and the vox pops on Polish elections and MS Kin.

Now to stop procrastinating and write something.

Yes, the interviews do get a bit samey, but Newsjack is supposed to be a "magazine show" spoof.

Thanks to everybody who said they enjoyed the 3D sketch. :)

Funnily enough, what I thought was my strongest sketch --- a patient waking up after a heart transplant operation with her chest wound still open, due to the hospital not being able to complete the final quarter of all operations because the NHS budget has been cut by 25% --- didn't make it on.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ July 11 2010, 2:28 PM BST

Yes, the interviews do get a bit samey, but Newsjack is supposed to be a "magazine show" spoof.

No, it's not surely? It's a sketch show.