Things that piss you off Page 1,684

Block their number.

Quote: Ronald S @ 15th August 2016, 6:22 PM

I wonder if someone did it with 'webuyanycar (dot)com

I keep getting text messages about my Fiat Punto
I don't have a Fiat Punto
They have the reg number and model and offered me £500 for it
Texted me every day saying the quote was valid for 30 days, then 29 days etc
Finally the time ran out and they now text me asking if I have sold it yet, and if not, they will still buy it for £500

I have texted them back but no one must be getting them

Did the SMS give instructions to unsubscribe/decline their offers? If you replied to opt out and they carried on contacting you they could be in hot water if it was reported. It either shows they ignored the requests or their systems are shite but either way they can get fined.

I got a cold call a few days ago on a private number to my mobile and answered it because I thought it was the garage calling with my MOT quote. It was a young lad who said something I didn't hear because he was talking to fast but I managed to hear ".....so you could be entitled to a refund of overpaid bank insurance". (or something like that)

These guys are just earning a crust and I don't like to be rude so I just said that wouldn't apply to me. He then asked why even though I had no idea who he was, where he was calling from and on a witheld number. That's when I just hung up because I was too busy to object to his noob approach.

Things that when you look at them seem like the epitome of having loads of freedom and space but are actually a claustrophobic sort of experience, eg gliders. The only exception to the rule is submarines which look claustrophobic as well as being capable of travelling big distances. I think that is why in liberal societies they mainly operate out of sight below water. That minimises confusion and reinforces airborne illusions.

....The point I am making is you look at that sort of thing. You think that if you are in it you will feel like a bird because it looks like a bird. But a bird isn't cooped up in a tiny bit of a bird. A bird is a whole bird. So the nearest you can get to being like a bird in that cooped up cabin is similar to what a bird would feel if the whole of the bird was in one tiny bit of its brain. I find that really disappointing to be honest. The way it misleads.

The National Lottery ads where they end with "Anyone can win the lottery, please don't let it be them" is really pissing me off because it doesn't even make sense. It implies if you play the lottery there is less chance of them winning a jackpot which is not true.

They could mean that the more people who play the lottery means there will be statistically more jackpot winners so the share others will get will be lower but that is a stupid marketing tactic. It still seems to work though because it's on all the flipping time.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 16th August 2016, 10:10 PM

....The point I am making is you look at that sort of thing. You think that if you are in it you will feel like a bird because it looks like a bird. But a bird isn't cooped up in a tiny bit of a bird. A bird is a whole bird. So the nearest you can get to being like a bird in that cooped up cabin is similar to what a bird would feel if the whole of the bird was in one tiny bit of its brain. I find that really disappointing to be honest. The way it misleads.

I know where you're coming from. Get a flight simulator for your PC because I've had some exhilarating moments flight simming and the kicker is I learnt abour real world flying.

I don't think a Bird Simulator has been done before so I bet that could be popular. It would have to be PC based because of all the controls that would be needed so not mobile compatible. You earn points and can upgrade to become a more prominent bird of the skies and earn rep by being a good bird which unlocks special missions. Bird Of The Skies is also the perfect name.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th August 2016, 9:56 PM

The National Lottery ads where they end with "Anyone can win the lottery, please don't let it be them" is really pissing me off because it doesn't even make sense. It implies if you play the lottery there is less chance of them winning a jackpot which is not true.

They could mean that the more people who play the lottery means there will be statistically more jackpot winners so the share others will get will be lower but that is a stupid marketing tactic. It still seems to work though because it's on all the flipping time.

I know where you're coming from. Get a flight simulator for your PC because I've had some exhilarating moments flight simming and the kicker is I learnt abour real world flying.

I don't think a Bird Simulator has been done before so I bet that could be popular. It would have to be PC based because of all the controls that would be needed so not mobile compatible. You earn points and can upgrade to become a more prominent bird of the skies and earn rep by being a good bird which unlocks special missions. Bird Of The Skies is also the perfect name.

I agree with you on the National Lottery Ads. Don't let it be Noel Edmonds. How much is he getting for those? He says he is in a position to buy the BBC. As for Bird of the Skies, yes, good. A 91 year old in the street is about to go up in a glider for the first time. Local octogenarians are in awe of him but I genuinely don't understand these sorts of people.

I don't have anything really against Noel Edmonds and he did some entertaining telly in the 80s/90s but he has far outstayed Deal Or No Deal. I used to be a fan but have gone off it because of him.

Big thumbs up the your neighbour for doing that at 91 and hope he has a blast. I saw a glider a few weeks ago and it looked like a prehistoric bird winding through the skies. It must be an unusual experience especially with no engine sound.

I thought it had gone off the air, Deal or No Deal, not the glider.

I got an email from SKY telling me of the fantastic things I am missing because I don't have their full package.

In that email was a request that I fill out a survey to let them know what they are doing right or wrong.
I usually ignore such things but seeing as how their prices go up seemingly monthly I though I might get a chance to vent.

Who compiles these surveys or questionnaires?

Every question had something like 8 options.

An example; Do you think Sky give value for money?
1 Yes, I definitely agree
2 Yes, I agree
3 I somewhat agree (somewhat ???? what is the difference between definitely and somewhat)
4 I have no opinion either way
5 No, I somewhat disagree
6 I disagree

etc etc

Every question every page... I don't know if I somewhat disagree or just disagree I wanted a I fairly disagree. That is where about I was.

I bet no one ever finishes the survey

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th August 2016, 10:20 PM

I don't have anything really against Noel Edmonds and he did some entertaining telly in the 80s/90s but he has far outstayed Deal Or No Deal. I used to be a fan but have gone off it because of him.

Big thumbs up the your neighbour for doing that at 91 and hope he has a blast. I saw a glider a few weeks ago and it looked like a prehistoric bird winding through the skies. It must be an unusual experience especially with no engine sound.

Yes he has done it and he loved it apparently.

They asked him beforehand just to confirm that he was able to climb into a bath.

He said "how the bloody hell do I know? I've got a shower."

So they let him in.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th August 2016, 6:59 PM

Yes he has done it and he loved it apparently.

They asked him beforehand just to confirm that he was able to climb into a bath.

He said "how the bloody hell do I know? I've got a shower."

So they let him in.

I thought you said earlier that gliders are claustrophobic? They must be fairly spacious if you can fit an en suite bathroom. ;)

Quote: George Kaplan @ 18th August 2016, 8:54 PM

I thought you said earlier that gliders are claustrophobic? They must be fairly spacious if you can fit an en suite bathroom. ;)

Interesting point, George.

When I see him, I will have to ask him whether it had a kitchenette.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 18th August 2016, 8:58 PM

Interesting point, George.

When I see him, I will have to ask him whether it had a kitchenette.

Laughing out loud

Bloody Olympics! Roll on Sunday when we can get proper news again.

Quote: keewik @ 19th August 2016, 11:15 PM

Bloody Olympics! Roll on Sunday when we can get proper news again.

Personally I'd prefer it if the Olympics were on continuously, in perpetuity, and I never saw another news broadcast. Too bloody depressing. :)