Things that piss you off Page 1,688

Cleaners do get their revenge - such as cleaning under the toilet rim with your toothbrush.

Quote: zooo @ 15th September 2016, 7:48 PM

By the law of averages some of them must be normal people (you and I normal, not normal normal. I fear they are the normal normal ones :/).
I think it's one of those mob mentality things. Brainwashing each other through proximity into slowly becoming judgey abbreviation users.

I saw one thread today about someone's cleaner using the same cloth for both the toilet and the bath.
I was equally torn between agreeing that was gross, and thinking she should wash her own bloody toilet if she doesn't like the way the cleaner does it.

Absolutely - the founders of Mumsnet are professional media Mothers who like to wear Boden (as do I, but my current collection of jersey dresses are getting on my nerves at the moment.) There's another site called Netmums and they're not quite as ritzy as MN and conversely there's an awful lot of LOLing, ROFLing and referring to one another as (Attila The?) Hun.

What the f**k is 'Boden'? Obviously I'm an out-of-touch old bastard.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 15th September 2016, 7:25 PM

AIBU ergo 'Am I Being Unreasonable'

I'm going to guess that the answer is always 'yes' and they're just looking for justification regardless of any advice given.

Quote: keewik @ 16th September 2016, 9:38 PM

I'm not sure what it is either and I'm youngish. I know someone who is 18- Maybe I should ask them.

Quote: keewik @ 16th September 2016, 9:38 PM

http://www.boden.co.uk/

It's overpriced trendy clothing for children and the unfashionable.

I was actually getting it mixed up with Joules. But either way it's middle class clothes that I can only afford from discount villages.

Quote: zooo @ 17th September 2016, 9:28 AM

I was actually getting it mixed up with Joules. But either way it's middle class clothes that I can only afford from discount villages.

Woe betide a nation where fashion has a class system. How does it work?
Tramp Class = Urine-stained rags with cigarette burns?
Low Class = Cheap Chinese t-shirts? Polyester tracksuits with a fluorescent stripe?
Middle Class = Collared cotton shirts and cotton slacks, costly jeans, machine-woven tunics?
Upper Class = Tailor-made fox-hunting outfits and top hats, and designer bags?
Royalty = Crown, gown and urine-stained rags with cigar burns?

Just out of cost-of-living comparison curiosity, how much would the average British male/female spend on clothing per year?

I have absolutely no clue what the average person spends! Sorry.
A few hundred? A thousand? It does all add up. Even only spending £10 a week at Primark ends up as £500 for a year.

I only shop at extremely cheap clothes shops at the moment. Interspersed with a very, very occasional more expensive thing. ie, last week I bought expensive (to me) boots, but I won't splash out like that probably for another year. So sad.

Quote: zooo @ 17th September 2016, 12:17 PM

So sad.

Fine to be frugal with clothing. As long as it's comfortable, practical and durable. Footwear is also my biggest clothing expense, but a pair of good boots can last seven years or more, running shoes, less so.

How about Highgate Mums?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jobarrow/highgate-mums?utm_term=.yqqDeVdY8#.yugJWKrje

Quote: Kenneth @ 17th September 2016, 11:51 AM

Woe betide a nation where fashion has a class system. How does it work?
Tramp Class = Urine-stained rags with cigarette burns?
Low Class = Cheap Chinese t-shirts? Polyester tracksuits with a fluorescent stripe?
Middle Class = Collared cotton shirts and cotton slacks, costly jeans, machine-woven tunics?
Upper Class = Tailor-made fox-hunting outfits and top hats, and designer bags?
Royalty = Crown, gown and urine-stained rags with cigar burns?

Just out of cost-of-living comparison curiosity, how much would the average British male/female spend on clothing per year?

People just don't say slacks enough anymore do they. Try saying that at your local Top Burtons Shop or whatever and see where you end up. Arrested would be my guess. I do all my shopping in charity shops, but as I live in Manchester I am considered to be a bit of a dapper overspender

I call slacks pants, but have to be careful over here as you can well end up complimenting someone on their choice of underwear if they're not au fait with the Irish meaning.

I don't know who ever uses the word 'slacks'. Isn't that a term from the dark age? Don't folk just talk about trousers nowadays? I'm probably ancient and hate trousers because, in women, they're bloody boring.

Slacks is one of those lost words, a bit like society, privacy and discombobulated. They were all banned by Thatcher during the miners strike as they were considered to be taking up unnecessary room in the dictionary and giving people ideas above their station. I think we should now vote on a collective word we can agree to use for the said items,

A few suggestions are

Strides
Breeches
Britches
Pants
Chaps
Daks
Trews

My vote goes to breeches, that way I can go into shops dressed as Dr Johnson shouting sir breeches now for the wearing of!