Things that piss you off Page 1,685

People who begin the answer to a question with the word "So.".

As in, "What does your job entail?" "So I design that, manufacture those and then market them both"

When did that become acceptable?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 20th August 2016, 12:01 AM

People who begin the answer to a question with the word "So.".

As in, "What does your job entail?" "So I design that, manufacture those and then market them both"

Quite. Maybe there are times when 'so' could be used at the beginning of an answer?
"Are you going to tell Quelch it was me which took the pie?" asked the fat owl, recklessly disregarding grammar in his fear.
"So it was you who snooped my tuck!" said Cherry.
Although Cherry isn't really answering Bunter's question.
Try again.
"But why must I be punished?" wailed Bunter, as Quelch flexed the cane.
"So you will be sure to cease your absurd prevarications."

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 20th August 2016, 12:01 AM

Probably at the same time as idiots started calling the ground 'the floor'. I'm starting to hear this frequently on TV when 'the man/woman in the street' is being interviewed. I know language has to change but it's nutty to use one word for two different things when we have perfectly good words for each.

So they're calling the outside concrete thingy under their feet a 'floor' - effing eegits!

Yes. I'm sorry to say I first came across it about a year ago when reading 'The Girl on the Train'. I actually turned back a bit because I thought I'd made a mistake about where the action was happening. Since then I've heard countless nutters on TV use it.

I think Floor should be inside. Ground outside. I always found it a bit strange that that people refer to a Forest floor.

Quote: reds @ 20th August 2016, 3:46 PM

I think Floor should be inside. Ground outside. I always found it a bit strange that that people refer to a Forest floor.

And bed? Seabed? Flowerbed?

Hotbed?

Don't know what the hell 'bed' has to do with 'floor' and 'ground'. Totally different concept. Get real.

Quote: keewik @ 20th August 2016, 8:46 PM

Don't know what the hell 'bed' has to do with 'floor' and 'ground'. Totally different concept. Get real.

Bed, floor and ground are all places where a grossly inebriated person may repose in slumber.

My comment of "seabed" and "garden bed" was in response to Red's perturbation regarding "forest floor".

"Bed", incidentally, has a fascinating etymology. It may have originally referred to a dug-out resting place for animals, or a burial site or indeed a garden bed -- and then subsequently came to mean the object in which humans sleep. "Floor", meanwhile, originally referred to flat ground or earth or the area of ground at the bottom of something.

In English we have "the seabed" and "the ocean floor" but the "the forest bed" is much less common.

Hope this clears things up.

Quote: Kenneth @ 20th August 2016, 6:42 PM

And bed? Seabed? Flowerbed?

Never thought about those.

A guest has said they will provide food tonight. I'm starving but too British to ask them to prepare it before they say!

Teary

Eat a secret biscuit in the cupboard.
It's the British way.

I did just that! Haha! I went into the garden and munched on a dry biscuit and made myself more hungry. Luckily I didn't have to wait much longer and am now well fed and happy.

It hasn't rained at night for ages. I don't normally hang washing out at night but needed to tonight , so of course it has now rained.