The Thick Of It - Series 3 Page 20

"I think he might be simple."

:D

Dan

Loved Malcolm and Stuart trying to 'out scandal' one another!

Manion also the funniest he's been to date - top episode, but still doesn't beat the Party Conference ep for me . . .

A great episode. Had the feel of an instant classic for me. Although sad if this is Manion's last outing, as I rather enjoyed the louche Tory.

Quote: Griff @ November 21 2009, 11:21 PM GMT

Tremendous episode. Although I'm starting to not enjoy some of Tucker's huge rants now - the one about "breaking the fingers of everyone in Ruislip" seemed a weak spot in an otherwise great episode.

I see your point. They are becoming slightly predicatable and rote at times. So much so you have a mental box that can be ticked off in your mind once Tucker's lost it. Similar, in fact, to the way you could tick off once David Brent had humiliated himself in The Office.

Still brilliant, though.

"c**t cake" Laughing out loud

I think "The Thick of It" is starting to suffer from Blackadder syndrome in that everything has to be a tortuous metaphor (or is it an analogy)?

No-one is "stupid" they are "stupider than something that's very stupid from somewhere really stupid", no-one is a "c**t" they are "the biggest c**t this side of c**tfordshire in the land of the c**t on planet c**titude", etc, etc.

Whilst this can be funny if used in small measures once it becomes the way everyone speaks, all the c**ting time, then it loses it's edge.

I missed the red button stuff this week. Would have much preferred to see unseen footage rather than the cast rabbiting on.

Quote: Griff @ November 21 2009, 11:21 PM GMT

Although I'm starting to not enjoy some of Tucker's huge rants now - the one about "breaking the fingers of everyone in Ruislip" seemed a weak spot in an otherwise great episode.

But it was a different shade of Tucker rant. The most recent one had more than a little desperation about it, rather than the usual full on rage (reminded me of the scene in the meditation room from In The Loop, where he's too flustered to come up with a decent insult). Also worth noting that the rant had no effect on the radio producer. His powers are weakening . . .

Realy liked this one.
Particularly good was the way we saw then through someone elses eyes(in this case the radio producer).
At one point they were all in the mixing room, like animals in a cage.
Terrific stuff.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 23 2009, 10:10 AM GMT

I think "The Thick of It" is starting to suffer from Blackadder syndrome in that everything has to be a tortuous metaphor (or is it an analogy)?

No-one is "stupid" they are "stupider than something that's very stupid from somewhere really stupid", no-one is a "c**t" they are "the biggest c**t this side of c**tfordshire in the land of the c**t on planet c**titude", etc, etc.

Whilst this can be funny if used in small measures once it becomes the way everyone speaks, all the c**ting time, then it loses it's edge.

Agreed, was only saying last night whilst watching it that many of the laughs come from such phrases and that maybe they overdo it a bit. Last night's was the weakest so far I thought. Still funny, but a few awkward moments like the aforementioned thumb snapping line.

Oh and Rebecca Front is nailed on for a BAFTA.

Red button guff is a cast interview this week - looks like Chris Addison and James Smith have the same off screen relationship as Ollie and Glen :D . . .

Quote: Slippery Jack @ November 26 2009, 7:29 PM GMT

Red button guff is a cast interview this week - looks like Chris Addison and James Smith have the same off screen relationship as Ollie and Glen :D . . .

I saw that too, it really was quite incredible seeing that!

So this week's episode has been pushed back to 10.40pm. The best sitcom the BBC has currently got and yet they can't even provide it with a regular timeslot. Says everything really, doesn't it? :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 28 2009, 6:43 PM GMT

So this week's episode has been pushed back to 10.40pm. The best sitcom the BBC has currently got and yet they can't even provide it with a regular timeslot. Says everything really, doesn't it? :(

That's so wrong. Angry

Maybe there's swearing in it this week? Whistling nnocently

Past two episodes have been excellent. Very funny. Great to see Malcolm slipping further and further from sanity, and the 'opening up' to Terri towards the end of the episode was perfect. Lots of laughs throughout both. The final 2 episodes are going to be really interesting to see where he goes.