The Thick Of It - Series 3 Page 25

As much as I like watching this programme, I can't say I've ever laughed at it.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 6 2009, 2:58 PM GMT

It's not quite laugh out loud...it's more about being in awe sometimes! Very quotable witticisms - "like dot cotton licking piss of a nettle"/"so dense, light bends around him" etc.

I laugh out loud at this, but few other sitcoms on right now.

Eg. The moments before they noticed the resignation had broken on BBC News, but we did, were worth the TV licence fine.

I was like a kid shouting at a panto. Maybe light bends around me?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 6 2009, 2:58 PM GMT

Wow. It's one of the few comedy programmes that I do laugh out loud at. Frequently . . .

Quote: Griff @ December 6 2009, 4:02 PM GMT

* - I definitely did laugh at "You've gone from someone everyone loves to hate to someone everyone just hates - Simon Cowell to Piers Morgan".

Laughing out loud

Although I appreciate certain elite athletes may not have been laughing last night.

I laughed out loud - partiucularly at Malcolm's moustache comparisons; Bob Carolgees, etc.

So many good points about this episode in addition to an excellent script. The moment before the sacking as Flemming asked for five minutes with Tucker, he been asking for chats all the way through but on this one they cut the sound so there was a moment of silence, he knew and we knew what was coming, some great shots of Tucker's expressions through out as the cards came tumbling down. Even Murray's look as she sits in her office at the very end, is it guilt on her part or at the folly of the celebration. Flippin' brill.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 6 2009, 2:48 PM GMT

Hope there is more proper Lord Julius in the final episode. Didn't quite see why he was brought back unless he has a more substantial role in the final episode.

I think he was there to show that the rats are deserting a sinking ship. Although he's as much a reason for the failed government as Malcolm Tucker et al, he's feathered his own nest and is about to bugger off to a cushy life in the Lords. And it was worth bringing him back just for the girlie spat between him and Malcolm Tucker during the closing credits. :D

Quote: Aaron @ December 5 2009, 11:08 PM GMT

In quite a while yet. Series 2 hasn't even been scheduled.

All six Chris Langham episodes are avaliable on the series 1 DVD. Hence the continued confusion as to whether this is actually series 2 or series 3.

I think Julius is an excellent character. Theoretically Malcolm Tucker should be able to destroy him without even thinking about it but Julius sort of bumbles through it all not really getting Tucker. Those scenes are great.

I got the impression during the Hugh Abbot years that the Julius character was Peter Mandleson to Tucker's Alistair Campbell. And Julius certainly shares a number of effete qualities with Mandleson.

Howevever, as Tim pointed out in this thread, the new Fleming represents a sort of Mandelsohn figure from the past brought in to try and revive a dying government.

Quote: Afinkawan @ December 7 2009, 10:45 AM GMT

I think Julius is an excellent character. Theoretically Malcolm Tucker should be able to destroy him without even thinking about it but Julius sort of bumbles through it all not really getting Tucker. Those scenes are great.

I'd have to agree with that. They also highlight a small flaw in the premise of this series -- you never really see Malcom *doing* anything. He talks the talk, but you never, to my recollection, see him follow through on his threats and really destroy somebody.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 7 2009, 10:56 AM GMT

I'd have to agree with that. They also highlight a small flaw in the premise of this series -- you never really see Malcom *doing* anything. He talks the talk, but you never, to my recollection, see him follow through on his threats and really destroy somebody.

Isn't the premise of this series the demise of Malcolm Tucker? So maybe nowadays he is all talk as his power ebbs away.

Quote: chipolata @ December 7 2009, 10:57 AM GMT

Isn't the premise of this series the demise of Malcolm Tucker? So maybe nowadays he is all talk as his power ebbs away.

He always was just talk - the right words in the right place and he could destroy someone politically as well as verbally.

Trouble is, when people stop listening his power crumbles, which is what we have been watching this series. He has to run at full steam or people will see his weaknesses and he's been losing it - punching Glen, explaining to Terri etc.

The sacking of Tucker this week was handled brilliantly, particularly his final rant as he exited Number 10. And yet again, Capaldi's performance just blew me out of the water - the dude has some serious acting chops.

I wonder what they're going to do with the next series? I know that there have been a few suggestions of the producers waiting for the election and bringing in a Tory cast.

In the meantime, they could put together an Election Night special and film some alternate endings.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 7 2009, 12:12 PM GMT

In the meantime, they could put together an Election Night special and film some alternate endings.

Still some optimism in the air for Labour there? Alternate endings might just prove a waster of money I'm afraid...