The Thick Of It - Series 3 Page 27

Quote: Nogget @ December 7 2009, 2:22 PM GMT

Why shouldn't they play The Who, there weren't any convictions, just a caution.

Townshend did the same thing as Langham though, by his own admission.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 7 2009, 2:26 PM GMT

Townshend did the same thing as Langham though, by his own admission.

But you were comparing him to Glitter, and asking why Who records are still played. The difference is that Glitter has been convicted repeatedly of these offences, Townshend hasn't.

and, you know, that whole The Who being about a million percent better than Gary Glitter thing.

Quote: Afinkawan @ December 7 2009, 2:57 PM GMT

and, you know, that whole The Who being about a million percent better than Gary Glitter thing.

Yes, because that's a reasonable legal defence... Rolling eyes

Oh, and an excellent article on Chris Langham linked from the BCG front page today...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/features/comic-release-is-it-time-to-forgive-chris-langham-1832809.html

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 7 2009, 2:58 PM GMT

Yes, because that's a reasonable legal defence... Rolling eyes

Oh, and an excellent article on Chris Langham linked from the BCG front page today...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/features/comic-release-is-it-time-to-forgive-chris-langham-1832809.html

Thanks for pointing that out Tim. I have just printed it off for a nice train time read.

And also this interview with the lovely Alex McQueen:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/articles/alex_macqueen_interview/

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 7 2009, 2:13 PM GMT

Re: The Who - one of the only funny bits on the last Kevin Bishop series was a throwaway comment about 'Pete Townshend book not out yet'.

They did that joke in Gavin And Stacey a year or two back.

Quote: Nogget @ December 7 2009, 2:51 PM GMT

But you were comparing him to Glitter, and asking why Who records are still played. The difference is that Glitter has been convicted repeatedly of these offences, Townshend hasn't.

It probably didn't come across well, but I was comparing Langham to Townshend.

Glitter was rightly vilified for raping kids and his royalty cheques are likely close to zero now, whereas Townshend's work is still kosher broadcast material. So, why isn't Langham's? That is what I was trying to get at.

Plus: if Polanski can get his dick sucked in the reviews for three decades even though it's pretty much common knowledge he raped a kid then somebody who did what Langham did should be a-ok for telly.

I would be more than happy to see Langham back on screen.

He looked at a couple of pictures, he didn't stamp on a kitten or strangle a prostitute.

Quote: zooo @ December 7 2009, 4:10 PM GMT

I would be more than happy to see Langham back on screen.

Yes, but unfortunately you don't own all the British tabloids, zooo. (Not yet anyway.) :(

One day...

Quote: zooo @ December 7 2009, 4:10 PM GMT

He looked at a couple of pictures, he didn't stamp on a kitten or strangle a prostitute.

He downloaded photos and film of children being horribly abused, didn't he? . Maybe people don't want to see someone associated with that scenario when they're wanting to be entertained.

Julius with his "helicopter thinking and blue sky vision"represents Blair and Brown's 'government of all the talents' which meant bringing in 'special advisors'from outside politics like John Burt (who Julius is heavily drawn from), Alan Sugar, Pengu or whatever f**kwit was popular with GMTV viewers or Sun readers last week.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 7 2009, 4:22 PM GMT

Maybe people don't want to see someone associated with that scenario when they're wanting to be entertained.

Anyone know what the sales figures for series one on DVD were?

See Amazon product listing

Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 49 in DVD

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 7 2009, 4:27 PM GMT

Anyone know what the sales figures for series one on DVD were?

I loved the show, but to be perfectly honest I really don't want to think about people who look at such images. Life is depressing enough. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ December 7 2009, 4:22 PM GMT

He downloaded photos and film of children being horribly abused, didn't he? . Maybe people don't want to see someone associated with that scenario when they're wanting to be entertained.

Yep, to deal with his own abuse issues. Not to get off on.
Apparently "the court accepted based upon all the evidence and expert opinion that he has no sexual interest in children".

If I believed he'd done it purely for the usual reasons, it might affect whether I wanted to see him on screen too.

Anyway, I usually try to prevent this thread going on about his court case, shouldn't be joining in!