Bottom Page 3

Quote: NickTheDon @ March 12 2009, 9:55 PM GMT

Bottom is absolutely fantastic. I think my favourite episode is the one where they lose the TV, and they try to play chess but Rik doesn't know the rules and then there is a ridiculous fight.

See the first clip I posted

Absolutely Love it.

It is an insult to the beauty of Bottom to compare it to crap like Two Pints.

Oddly enough I think that even though they shouldn't be, Eddie and Richie are oddly likeable.

Where as in Two Pints you are meant to like them but in actual fact all the characters are horrible.

Quote: Spagett @ March 12 2009, 10:29 PM GMT

Where as in Two Pints you are meant to like them but in actual fact all the characters are horrible.

Not at all.

Aaron, didn't you say you disliked Spaced? If so, how can you not also dislike Two Pints?

Quote: catskillz @ March 13 2009, 7:42 AM GMT

Aaron, didn't you say you disliked Spaced? If so, how can you not also dislike Two Pints?

Yeah, because the two are almost exactly the same??? I don't think anyone else would link those two shows!

I'm not linking them, I'm just wondering how someone could dislike a great show, whilst liking a crap show.

Quote: catskillz @ March 13 2009, 9:05 AM GMT

I'm not linking them, I'm just wondering how someone could dislike a great show, whilst liking a crap show.

Ahh, but you have to remember who you're dealing with here; this is Aaron, his taste in shows defies all boundries of taste and reason.

Quote: catskillz @ March 13 2009, 7:42 AM GMT

Spaced is an awful, awful excuse for a sitcom, devoid of anything reminiscent of humour, and largely reliant on self-congratulatory cultural references and other such wanky 'in-jokes'. IMO. On the other hand, Two Pints is peurile, doesn't have any pretence as to being a work of sheer comic genius, and is filthily absurd - all of which appeals to my inner child perfectly.

Quote: Aaron @ March 13 2009, 6:52 PM GMT

Spaced is an awful, awful excuse for a sitcom, devoid of anything reminiscent of humour, and largely reliant on self-congratulatory cultural references and other such wanky 'in-jokes'.

:O Angry

Quote: shaggy292 @ March 13 2009, 7:16 PM GMT

:O Angry

Get used to that sort of thing from him! :)

Quote: Aaron @ March 13 2009, 6:52 PM GMT

Spaced is an awful, awful excuse for a sitcom, devoid of anything reminiscent of humour, and largely reliant on self-congratulatory cultural references and other such wanky 'in-jokes'. IMO. On the other hand, Two Pints is peurile, doesn't have any pretence as to being a work of sheer comic genius, and is filthily absurd - all of which appeals to my inner child perfectly.

Do you rent the flat downstairs?

Quote: Leevil @ March 14 2009, 1:30 AM GMT

Do you rent the flat downstairs?

Laughing out loud

No; I don't have facial hair. Unlike you two bl'mmin' paedos. *shakes fist*

If we need to escape we just have a shave and disappear into the crowd.

Well, I love Bottom to bits. I even have the live shows, one of which features the best usage of (maybe the ONLY usage of?) Deep Purple's CHILD IN TIME in a comedy context ever....I even like GUEST HOUSE PARADISO. "Candle in the eye!!..."

I prefer it to The Young Ones myself. I did grow up loving the latter, and as someone born in the early 1970s and raised in the 1980s it was definitely a programme of 'my' youth, but my God is it dated now. And a lot of those sketches (like the one with the Oblivion Boys in some wartime hut in Antarctica or wherever) were just a waste of time. Bottom, despite being largely slapstick-based, has more subtlety (yes, I'm serious!!), wordplay and depth - and the actors had really learnt their craft by this time. Also, the older they get, the funnier it becomes. There's something perversely hilarious about watching two 50-year old men kicking each other in the bollocks and shoving pointy things up each other's noses.

I'm no fan of Two Pints Of Lager, or indeed any other programme that leans toward 'chav comedy' ie the dire Shameless, but I'm not going to get into a debate about the relative merits of it. I just don't understand the comparison. It would be like saying "who's better, the Beach Boys or the Scorpions?" - although I do have two mates that did have that very discussion once, and have managed to turn it into a running injoke ever since.

Spaced I caught up with later, but I do really like it. There IS something sightly wankily postmodernist about it, as there is with a lot of modern post-Partridge comedy (not that there's anything wrong with Partridge himself, he's in my top 10 heroes) but I tend to overlook it for the laughs, especially with regard to 'Vulva', and the 'Camden' episode. "Wo the FACK you TALKIN ABAAAHT.." etc. don't think any of the people in it, with the possible exception of Peter Serafinowicz and Mark Gatiss (who were only in a couple of episodes anyway), would be fun to hang out with (a bit smug and studenty for my tastes), but it doesn't stop me enjoying the show. Mind you, isn't that what the old old school said about the post Not The Nine O'Clock News generation of Footlights alumni, including the Young Ones gang themselves?

It would be sad if Ade and Rick did a Pete and Dud, and never worked together again, but I guess we don't know what goes on between these people behind closed doors. Mayall's 'respectability' in recent years hasn't mirrored Edmondson's, but then again who wants to watch Holby City anyway apart from my Mum and a million other retired old biddies in the provinces? Rik's resumé is actually more interesting. He displayed several previously hidden sides to his talent in his Rik Mayall Presents series of plays in the early 1990s (which I still have somewhere), and ultimately proved himself as a straight actor in the role of corrupt police inspector Daniel Blaney in the excellent Murder Rooms episode The White Knight Strategem, which seems to have precipitated a move, well suited now he's hit 50, into horror and suspense (my two main passions in life by the way).

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this kinda stuff, although working for the dreadful Richard Driscoll (a sad, delusional man who makes Ed Wood seem like Einstein) is maybe not the way to go. But anything's better than All About George!! Typical of ITV to look at the success of dullest sitcom on the Beeb at the time (My Family) and go 'we really need one of those...'

I'd prefer to watch Life Without George any day. Now THERE was a programme!! Carol Royle, where are you now?