Bottom Page 8

You're never too old to enjoy Bottom.

I'm 38 now and love it just as much as I did as a teenager.

Quote: Vader @ May 10 2011, 4:28 PM BST

the bit with the dating agency

'Whazzo pair of jugs' is still a standard line amongst my drinking mates
Wave

Bottom is my favourite sitcom! I wish there was more sitcoms like Bottom on these days! I think Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson need to write another sitcom, or at the very least another Bottom live!

They're now too old to be grabbing each others' nuts and telling jokes about wanking, sadly!

Bottom was iconic (a cult if you like) ... to some lads around my age (early forties). Lots of fond memories back in the day, stumbling in from the pub with an episode of Bottom on the box.

In good company with more cans of beer, throw on some toast or a tuna sarnie ... not forgetting a packet of Monster Munch!!!!!

Grrrrrrrreat Days!!!

Quote: Daniel Flinter @ August 3 2011, 4:47 PM BST

I think Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson need to write another sitcom, or at the very least another Bottom live!

.. not sure if you know, but I believe they are writing a new comedy based in an old people's home??

I totally agree, they could pull off another live ... although a series would visually date them way beyond the basic concept of the original runs.

All the best,
Cal :)

I prefer Filthy Rich and Catflap but Bottom is still up there as one of my favourite sitcoms. A few posters have mentioned Hancock but I think a better comparison would be that other Galton and Simpson classic, Steptoe.

Bottom was the first show to really get me into comedy.

I thought once I'd grown up I'd lose touch with it, but it's still as funny as ever and remains a bountiful quote resource.

May I say, what a SMASHING blouse you have on?

:) Loved Bottom watched it with my son late at night, great times.

Thanks for compliment re; blouse, new in 'rummage sale'.

Nah I never really took to the show to be honest :D

I was introduced to Bottom when I was about 13 by my friend Foxy, whose parents were much more liberal than mine (my dad used to lean over and switch the TV off after the opening titles, which were the only bit of the series I ever saw during their original broadcast).

I remember being at his house (Foxy, not my dad) one day during the holidays guzzling some sickening substance like cherryade by the gallon, since we were still at least a year away from alcohol, and during 'Culture' I laughed so hard I was sick.

Years later, I was watching a repeat on BBC2 when my mum came in to tell me to stop guffawing at such 'juvenile nonsense.' When she heard the name 'Edward Elizabeth Hitler' she nearly shat herself laughing.

Favourite bit has to be Richie in bed with Mr Rottweiler trying to look at his girlfriend's boobs whilst Eddie hollers his name from downstairs. Sexual frustration, disappointment, botched money-saving schemes and explosions all rolled into a superbly concise and entertaining package. Peerless.

Quote: Reverend Frog @ October 3 2011, 3:07 PM BST

I was introduced to Bottom when I was about 13 by my friend Foxy...

Come again?

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Didn't know about this .....

Adrian Edmondson has vowed: 'I'll never do anything like Bottom with Rik Mayall again'.
The comic revealed that he pulled out of a planned revival of the sitcom last year because he felt pressured into doing it.
But he wasn't enjoying the experience, so pulled out after writing just two episodes with his former Young Ones co-star.
They had planned a six-part series based on their1997 touring show Hooligan's Island, but Edmondson told Digital Spy he pulled out 'because I thought it was a backwards step'.
He added: 'There's too much else to do in life. My other passions in life are stronger."
'My main passion in life is my band the Bad Shepherds. That's never going to achieve the same success as Bottom, but it's what I want to do. I just feel happier.
'And I know it disappoints people and people will say, "Why don't you just f**king do it?" It would be six months of misery and I'm not sure how much working life I have left. 15 to 20 years?
'Do I really want to spend six months of it right now being pressurised into it? No I don't. So I managed to annoy everybody.'
The comic is currently promoting his ITV documentary series Ade In Britain.

BASTARD !! Laughing out loud

Maybe it would have been bad anyway. So, let's watch the old episodes.

I first watched Bottom when I was about 13 and I have loved it since! We had to do a slapstick sketch for Drama in school and my friend and I just ripped off the scene in Bottom where Richie and Eddie are minding the corner shop and that man comes in for his paper :) My favourite episode has to be 'Culture' with the chess game :D