Bottom

Anybody else like this? Or is it viewed in a similar way to 2 Pints....?

I loved it when I was younger. I still think it's great and I love Rik Mayall. But I don't get that excited when I see a repeat on G.O.L.D or whatever.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 12 2009, 1:26 PM GMT

Good God no; Bottom is fantastic stuff!

Good show. Very Funny in spurts- some good episodes. The gasman one, the 'Falklands' one in the pub: "there was me, Ginger, Tommy..." - Mayall and Edmonson worked well together as a duo, though the show was overly reliant on slapstick at times. I liked series 2 the best.

Why the comparison to 2 Pints? Bottom mightn't make a list of best sitcoms ever, but it's still far and away better than 2 Pints, which is total and utter lowest common denominator rubbish.

I rate The Young Ones higher than Bottom at both shows best, but it's perhaps aged less well.

I actually prefer Bottom to The Young Ones.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 12 2009, 1:40 PM GMT

Agreed.

I am a big fan of Bottom. The verbal interaction between Richie and Eddie is at times simply brilliant.

Def.

The Young Ones was not to my tastes..

I only compared it with 2 Pints as they could both be generously described as 'unsophisticated'....!

The stage shows were quite good too.

Was it the burglar episode where Richie says "My father used to move in very mysterious circles... He had one leg shorter than the other."?
THAT made me laugh. :)

I've never been keen on slapstick, so could do with less of it in Bottom, but the verbal stuff is often quite good and keeps me watching. Rik Mayall comes across as very Hancock-like at times.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 12 2009, 1:26 PM GMT

Very good observation. The double-standards around here based on writers and performers never cease to astound me.

One of my favourite shows ever, ever, ever.
One of my favourite scenes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihKDgYDpZg

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 12 2009, 1:40 PM GMT

Easily.

Quote: Aaron @ March 12 2009, 1:56 PM GMT

Very good observation. The double-standards around here based on writers and performers never cease to astound me.

I think you'll find they aren't so much double-standards, merely standards.

If we're mentioning Rik/Ade, then we should mention Filthy, Rich and Catflap, which I preferred to The Young Ones at the time.

I noticed a year or so ago when Ade Edmondson said he "doubted" he and Rik Mayall would work together again, that Mayall did a couple of interviews where he came over as a bit rattled by that. He's not the most relaxed, subtle or nuanced performer and as such Bottom suits him fine.
Edmondson, in contrast, toned it all down and fitted in perfectly into Holby. I can't imagine Mayall doing that.

Quote: Aaron @ March 12 2009, 1:56 PM GMT

Very good observation...

People are so, so, so kind… :)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 12 2009, 2:03 PM GMT

I think you'll find they aren't so much double-standards, merely standards.

"A ridiculous, far-fetched programme fuelled by toilet-humour and immaturity."

Applies to both, and is exactly the criticisms thrown at Two Pints.