Bottom Page 5

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 6 2010, 10:53 AM BST

Only caught a couple of them first time round but have seen a few since and I think it's a bit of a masterpiece sitcom, definitely in my top ten sitcoms list now, it's not just stupid, it is breathtakingly stupid, which takes great skill. Rik Mayall is simply one of the greatest comedy actors we have ever produced on these shores, he's up in the same league as Frankie Howerd definitely, just one division behind Peter Sellers. I like Lee Evans but he isn't a millionth as funny as Mayall, and yet Evans gets the big film roles. Is Mayall's act too stupid to be given the kudos it deserves? I ask myself. Why are other less gifted performers given more credibility than Rik Mayall? There should be a campaign to get the man recognised for the comedy genius he is. The man is a natural, I mean, who else could run over their own head, for God's sake? Mayall is our greatest living comedian, end of.

Yeah kids, Lolcats. Get with the timez.

I started this thread on Digital Spy http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1317003

Quote: DaButt @ August 6 2010, 8:45 AM BST

Reason I love my neighborhood #475:

Received a call from my neighbor at 12:30 a.m. asking if I wanted to come over and drink some beer. Now it's 2:45 and I'm home for a few hours of sleep before I go to work. Tomorrow promises the traditional neighborhood happy hour at 4 p.m. and a beer-soaked birthday party for another neighbor's 8-year-old daughter shortly after.

I forget that episode.

I do love this show. Watching the episode with them stuck on the ferris wheel is a treasured memory of mine.

Bottom was a serious formative influence, comedically and in my life more generally. I've seen all the eps so many times, but they still make me laugh out loud when I watch 'em... which is not something I can say of many recent British comedies... :(

Can anyone tell me which episode of Bottom featured they guys spending the night in the park? There was incident with a fork in the back of Richie's head and then him falling face first into a fire as Eddie tried to pull it out.

It was that scene where I experienced the biggest LOLs ever during a sitcom. I just wanted to take another look on YouTube (assuming the clip is there). :D

I have a feeling that that's S02E06, 'S Out.

Mucho Gracias

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6e-ytKl7g0&NR=1

2:05 seconds in.

Obviously not as funny as first time I saw it as I know what happens but still very funny. :D

Quote: Tuumble @ October 4 2010, 11:06 PM BST

Can anyone tell me which episode of Bottom featured they guys spending the night in the park? There was incident with a fork in the back of Richie's head and then him falling face first into a fire as Eddie tried to pull it out.

It was that scene where I experienced the biggest LOLs ever during a sitcom. I just wanted to take another look on YouTube (assuming the clip is there). :D

It was meant to be Wimbledon Common. They made it in 1992 but couldn't show it for two years because of the Rachel Nickell murder.

I think I've watched every episode of Bottom, One Zillion time each!! ... is that something to be proud of, or should I keep "schtoooom" about it???

Anyway, always make time for Eddie & Ritchie .... and if you loved Bottom, the TV Serieseeez, then have a crack at some of the live shows. Good from the word go, even better when Rik forgets his lines.

(sometimes they even have a plot! lol)

All the best,
Cal :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 6 2010, 10:53 AM BST

Only caught a couple of them first time round but have seen a few since and I think it's a bit of a masterpiece sitcom, definitely in my top ten sitcoms list now, it's not just stupid, it is breathtakingly stupid, which takes great skill. Rik Mayall is simply one of the greatest comedy actors we have ever produced on these shores, he's up in the same league as Frankie Howerd definitely, just one division behind Peter Sellers. I like Lee Evans but he isn't a millionth as funny as Mayall, and yet Evans gets the big film roles. Is Mayall's act too stupid to be given the kudos it deserves? I ask myself. Why are other less gifted performers given more credibility than Rik Mayall? There should be a campaign to get the man recognised for the comedy genius he is. The man is a natural, I mean, who else could run over their own head, for God's sake? Mayall is our greatest living comedian, end of.

You summed it up. Perfectly.

I always loved Bottom, but (Shameless fangirl moment...) the whole Richie supposed to be really ugly thing never worked for me because I think Rik Mayall is gorgeous! I had to use my imagination a lot watching this series! Laughing out loud

Bottom manages to make a sophisticated show out of slapstick and toilet humour by taking the genres to saturation point. They actually become a commentary on and parody of their own conventions. It also rebels against the conventions of other sitcoms, pushes the audience's tolerance and has unsympatheitc characters in unsentimental stories. There are also absurdist influences. I thought it was genius, and I am not often impressed by things that heavily feature toilet humour and slapstick.

Saw the episode with the Gasman the other week on Dave or G.O.L.D or wahtever it was. Couldn't stop laughing. Very much an acquired taste but I found it, at times, to be utterly hilarious.

Quote: Tuumble @ October 4 2010, 10:06 PM GMT

Just you describing it had me "Lolling" as I can just imagine it.

I can watch Bottom anytime! Although there were only 18 episodes, I do re-visit the series regularly. I've also just ordered the first 2 live shows on DVD. This is one show I would love to see return, a fourth series of this would be a sure hit, they wouldn't need to change a thing, still be in the same flat, same friends etc, now they're a bit older they could maybe make it a little more mature, but not too much. BRING BACK BOTTOM.