Bottom Page 10

I would suspect you'd have the flat, with the hallway behind, obstructed from view.
To the right would be the alley, they climb across.
Next to that would be the bedroom and the kitchen of Rottweiler, connect by a hallway.

The front door of Rottweiler could have been behind that but they may have filmed that previously.

I wasn't there but it should you give a rough idea of how these things are laid out.

Mrs. Brown's Boys usually ends with revealing all the sets used through the episode.

Yep that's pretty much how it was.
We had the main living room in front of us, and on the left with a gap for the cameras was Rottweiller's kitchen and front door.

The bedroom was behind the main living room set, so we never saw that, had to watch on the monitors, however we got to see all what Ade was doing in the kitchen. (I think I drew a plan, I will have to see if I can find it.)
There were a few re-takes, one bit comes to mind that they had to do several times. The bit where the gas man comes round when they were just about to send him bus surfing! The timing of that had to be done several times.
The last scene, when the gas pipe explodes was all pre-recorded.

There was no warm up act like with most shows, they introduced them straight away, and they themselves told us a bit about the show and introduced the other characters, plus they told a few gags and got the audience warmed up. Rik told his "Have you got the time on you, Cock?" joke.

Rik and Ade's interaction between takes was exciting to see, you could see they were taking it seriously and really cared about the show but at the same time were having an absolute ball!

There was an amazing atmosphere, I could tell I was seeing something special.
Feel free to ask any more questions, it's great to be able to share the experience. It may jog my memory.

Can we add pictures? If yes how? I have just found my ticket - anyone want to see it?

Quote: teenage comedy freak @ 9th July 2014, 3:18 PM BST

Can we add pictures? If yes how? I have just found my ticket - anyone want to see it?

You can indeed, although you'll need to upload it to a photo storage/sharing service first. Or just Facebook or whatever:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/info/help/bb_codes/

OK here goes, think I understand how to do this. Here is the ticket.

Quote: teenage comedy freak @ 9th July 2014, 9:28 AM BST

Feel free to ask any more questions, it's great to be able to share the experience. It may jog my memory.

-Was the woman who played Rottweiler`s girlfriend hot?

-In a lot of episodes and in Bottom Fluff you see waterfalls of sweat running down Rik`s face. Was it that hot in the studio or was Rik in such an excited state?

All in all I envy you Brits and Americans for having these great shows filmed in front of a live audience. It must be a special feeling being part of the filming process.

I do remember the day of filming being a very hot day, but there was plenty of air conditioning in the studio.
There were countless breaks when Rik was so sweaty the make-up girls were constantly trying to put more make-up on him and sort his hair out. You may notice his hair does change a lot. He was of course messing about the the make-up girls and making them laugh. He must have changed his shirt a few times too.
Ade on the other hand was so calm and relaxed - he did get a telling off for having his wedding ring still on though!
I remember both Rik and Ade playing around with these small hand held battery fans to try and keep cool - plus getting up to all kinds of mischief.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ 12th March 2009, 5:26 PM

Anybody else like this? Or is it viewed in a similar way to 2 Pints....?

I cannot believe you would even ask if this great show is viewed similary to 2 effing pints - what an insult to great comedies!

Quote: Maurice Minor @ 12th March 2009, 5:26 PM

Anybody else like this? Or is it viewed in a similar way to 2 Pints....?

I think most people would agree that "Bottom" is vastly superior to "2 Pints".

It's possible that the former is the most critically-underrated sitcom in British TV history. In stark contrast, it is in my opinion absolutely certain that the latter cannot be described by any rational person in any way that anybody connected with its production would want to hear.

There are foods that some people love and others loathe: "Bottom" is the comedic equivalent of such a meal.

There are also foods which, when thoroughly liquidised and gently warmed, may safely be fed to an elderly and barely conscious invalid who is not much longer for this world: "2 Pints" is the comedic equivalent of such a meal.

I rest my case.

Apparantly, in the episode 'Apocolypse', Rik Mayall was made to dub over a one-liner that will have caused offence. When they're at the fair ground, he's discovered his wallet has been stolen (allegedly). Richie uses the line 'thieving yobos' but he actually says 'thieving gypos' - but I cannot see it. Doesn't even look like he's prounouncing the word 'gypo'. Totally different mouth movement.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 31st January 2019, 8:24 PM

Apparantly, in the episode 'Apocolypse', Rik Mayall was made to dub over a one-liner that will have caused offence. When they're at the fair ground, he's discovered his wallet has been stolen (allegedly). Richie uses the line 'thieving yobos' but he actually says 'thieving gypos' - but I cannot see it. Doesn't even look like he's prounouncing the word 'gypo'. Totally different mouth movement.

The original line was "Thieving bastard gyppos!" and I heard him say that when the episode was first transmitted.

When released on DVD, it was changed by dubbing to "Thieving bastard yobbos!"

If you happen to have the DVD, you'll see that the scene selection chapter is still entitled "gyppos"

Watch his mouth in the YouTube clip below, at 4.29, and he clearly says "Thieving bastard (something beginning with a j-sound)" although the soundtrack says "yobbos".
. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VkGkUUI6b8

Sure I remember hearing Gyppos too when it was originally aired but can't remember about releases on VHS and DVD. That episode is one of my favourites and Mark Arden is great. His line "While I'm 'ere, I think I'll 'ave that copy of Girly World an' all".

I ended up watching a lot of Two Pints because an ex bird from many moons ago used to watch it. The characters worked well together and it could be described as a kind of chavvy Friends blended with aspects of Inbetweeners. The musical episode is my favorite and they must have worked hard on getting that made.

Bottom is great, some episodes are definitely stronger than others though but I recently picked up the Series 1 - 3 boxset for a couple of quid a few weeks ago and have thoroughly enjoyed revisiting the characters again. Excellent stuff from Rik and Ade. The live shows and film are also worth a look.

I've been putting the DVDs on recently as well and I love the costume and makeup and how Richie is made to look as slimy and undesirable as possible :D It must have been a great job for the make up artists working with Rik.

Richie is always treating Eddie like a parasite but if Eddie lived alone I think he could keep a job and have a nice little dwelling. Somewhere he can keep a beer fridge and watch Miss World anytime he likes or have Dave Hedgehog and Spudgun over for poker night without some vast slug like Richie sticking his greasy nose in and spoiling the atmos.

I loved the Young Ones but I never got into Bottom. (Fnaar, fnaar!)