Sitcom Trials 2009 Page 19

I'll be audience for hire! Reasonable rates too ;)

Dan

Do I have to pay extra to turn groans into laughs? ;)

Everything has its price... :)

Dan

Echoing what others have said about YouTube views. That's down to marketing. I only heard about ST through Writersroom and then here.

Its definitely worth putting them on YouTube as it helps everyone. I'm sure all the writers would look at them for researching how to structure their entry. All successful writers can then have a copy of their preformed sitcom and that would be good for promotion too.

Good luck with the new ventures.

While everything seems to be going the way of the web and video (and rightly so in most cases), I'd echo Simon's original post on this: what is hilarious and brilliant on stage can look cack on video. This is why he suggested getting the professional cameraman to do the job. Even just using the videos as a guide to what is worth submitting has its problems - what might not appear to work on video might well go down a storm on the night. Just my thoughts...

By the way - I'm not referring to videos of people's work generally, just to when something is designed to be performed on stage and then videoed with one camera. Obviously creating videos of work is a fantastic tool for marketing, publicising and other purposes.

We're holding another "How to get into the 'Yes' pile" workshop on June 27th. See website for details

Simon & Declan
Every 1's a Critic

http://www.every1sacritic.com/Every1sacritic/Home.html

NEWS OF THE WINNER..

Dean Hardman writer of From Riga to Rotherham has had a 30-minute pilot commissioned which will be pitched to Radio 4.

As a result of the competition that we organised at the Leicester Square Theatre, Dean is now represented by PBJ Management.

Next year it could be you! We're still taking bookings for the workshop on June 27th

Simon and Declan
Every 1's a Critic

http://www.every1sacritic.com/Every1sacritic/Workshops.html

Quote: simon wright @ June 9 2009, 6:54 PM BST

NEWS OF THE WINNER..

Dean Hardman writer of From Riga to Rotherham has had a 30-minute pilot commissioned which will be pitched to Radio 4.

As a result of the competition that we organised at the Leicester Square Theatre, Dean is now represented by PBJ Management.

Next year it could be you! We're still taking bookings for the workshop on June 27th

Simon and Declan
Every 1's a Critic

Well done Dean!

Is the pilot the winning sitcom or another show? What production company picked it up?

Good luck!

NEWS OF THE WINNER..

Well done, Dean!

Next year it could be you!

I'm working on something for next year already. :)

NEWS OF THE WINNER..

http://www.every1sacritic.com/Every1sacritic/Workshops.html

Well done Dean, excellent news.

Don't know much about this comp, but is it worth thinking/working on stuff now?
Will there be a brief or is it always open?
Plus when do we get a heads up on it?

OK that's my three questions used up.

Well done, Dean. Congrats.

Lazz,

Brief is 15-minute sitcom for the stage. It's run when Declan & Simon run it once a year. You will get a heads-up or visit www.every1sacritic.com for more info.

Dan

Congratulations Dean!

Jx

Thanks everyone. To answer a couple of the questions - the pilot is based on the winning sitcom, but not using exactly the same premise. It's BBC Radio themselves that have commissioned it and, depending on how good the pilot is, they'll then pitch it to Radio 4 if it's funny.

To people considering entering, my only advice is a) DO IT, and b)do be thinking about putting something together now. Simon and Dec will announce details pretty soon, I imagine. I think, as Dan says, the main thing to bear in mind is that it will need to be staged, but other than that, I suspect that the brief will be open.