Sitcom Trials 2009 Page 23

Quote: Timbo @ July 6 2009, 8:26 AM BST

Just out of curiosity, was it felt that the sitcoms trial seasons that did not have the cliffhanger were unsuccessful?

No, no. I hope I didn't imply that. It was just felt that the cliffhanger thing was a part of earlier seasons of The Trials that has historically been a great way to bring audience involvement into the show. But that it doesn't get in the way of the legitimacy of the competition element of the show which Simon and Declan worked hard and very successfully to achieve.

It's clearly not to everyone's taste, but it is a format that has genuinely worked in the past (in London, at Edinburgh, in the US, and on TV). More than anything it's about improving the experience for the audience of the live shows as part of the now successful "modern" Sitcom Trials format.

Quote: J'Parker @ July 6 2009, 9:51 AM BST

More than anything it's about improving the experience for the audience of the live shows as part of the now successful "modern" Sitcom Trials format.

See that's the bit I can't quite get. I don't see (and this is just a personal opinion) how the cliff-hanger (or whatever) actually increases enjoyment for the audience. I can see how that works when the anticipation is later satisfied, but if it isn't (as in X-1 out of X cases it won't be) then I think that will cause more frustration that benefit. But, hey! I guess the proof is in the pudding and, having seen Declan and Simon's approach I guess audiences will be able to make that comparison for themselves.

I also worry about the need for a cliffhanger distorting the scripts. i.e. setting out to write a script around the most whopping cliffhanger you can think of, rather than letting one arise naturally out of your plot and characters. But then again I worry about a lot of things.

Some shown this year seemed to just abrubtly end and as an audience member it was a tad annoying.

*starts writing 24: The Sitcom*

Quote: Griff @ July 6 2009, 11:25 AM BST

*starts writing 24: The Sitcom*

How many episodes?

48 x 30 mins.

You do the math.

No it tells the whole story over 24 minutes. And Gordon Brown gets shot at the end.

Does some one pull out the gun in the tenth minute?

It's almost like you've read my mind.

I'm a mentalist.

In minute 17 of 24 the Sitcom.

Harold!
You dirty oldman!
That bloody horse has eaten my hat!

Quote: swerytd @ July 6 2009, 9:39 AM BST

I don't think anyone has a problem with the audience voting. I think they just want the audience to be impartial in that voting.

Dan

I absolutely agree Dan, but the problem is that if their voting will be significant (especially, as Griff pointed out, when you are getting your stuff in front of key industry people) then people will look to play the system. As the beneficiary of the 'people's choice' (as I prefer to see it Smarmy )this year I can't complain, but the fact that it was over 3 rounds when it made no difference until the SF made it less open to manipulation. Notwithstanding this we were in the first SF and were told it was almost certain we were through on the audience vote as the best placed sitcom in the second SF would need 47 votes to overtake us, which was unheard of (34 was the highest to that point). In the event they got over 50. Luckily for me they also got through on judges vote so it didn't matter.

However, I am prerpared to go out on a statistical limb and suggest this number was unlikely to have been entirely the result of chance.

Do I blame them? No. Would I have done the same thing given the opportunity at stake? Very possibly.

Quote: Marc P @ July 6 2009, 11:29 AM BST

You do the math.

S

If you don't like the rules just do Simon and Declan's show instead.