Sitcom Trials 2009 Page 18

I have just learned that Declan Hill & Simon Wright are no longer going to be producing The Sitcom Trials (a move which I hasten to add is entirely their own, as I have been more than delighted with the success of their two seasons in the saddle).

This means the onus is upon me to produce the 10th anniversary season in October. The Pitch Fest will be returning, under an exciting new guise, as will the original format with the winners announced at the end of each show. As for other details of the season, in particular the method by which the scripts will be selected, these are under discussion.

Writers, actors and directors who want to be involved should stay tuned to this spot for further details. (Don't email me your photos and CVs just yet, the call will come.)

Looks like the future of The Future Of Sitcom is back in my hands.

Kev F Sutherland
Executive Producer
The Sitcom Trials - The Future Of Sitcom, In Your Hands http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

Oh. :|

Quote: earman2009 @ February 28 2009, 5:22 PM BST

Okay, didn't go too well on the night, but still delighted to have been involved. Still wish I was there. Still hoping for a video clip. Still willing to enter the next one.

On the subject of videos, who would like to see the next season of The Sitcom Trials videod and uploaded to YouTube throughout? It's easier than it ever was. And I just, as it happens, stumbled across 2007's winner Sweet As on YouTube and have added it to the official Trials playlist (which you'll find on sitcomtrials.co.uk or the myspace page).

The big thing that concerns me about videoing and YouTube-ing Trials shows is that nobody seems to watch them (Sweet As is on 306 viewings after a year, episode 3 of the TV series has only had 87 viewings!). That and they sometimes don't look or sound very good (the Tony Robinson, Miranda Hart and Justin Lee Collins clips have a distinct "you had to be there" quality).

But if there's enough interest in seeing your scripts and performances committed to YouTube, it can be considered. Any other thoughts, while it's all in flux? Anything that could be improved upon from previous seasons?

Kev F Sutherland
Executive Producer
The Sitcom Trials http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

Sweet As: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93w2sVXURmM
Trials playlist: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=69020E394F073EC2

Videos sound good. This is just the first I've heard about them, so maybe publicity around the videos is the main problem.

Dan

Echo Dan, you can't see what you ain't heard. :)

Quote: swerytd @ May 26 2009, 9:09 PM BST

Videos sound good. This is just the first I've heard about them, so maybe publicity around the videos is the main problem.

Which begs the question, where and how have you heard about the Sitcom Trials up until now?

- BSG Forum?
- Every1sacritic.com?
- Sitcomtrials.co.uk?
- Facebook?
- Direct email from Dec & Si?
- Somewhere else?

Kev F

PS: The best place to see all the Sitcom Trials YouTube vids in one place is sitcomtrials.co.uk where the player is embedded in the pages. Ditto myspace.com/sitcomtrials

PPS: YouTube.com/sitcomtrials is, perversely, not the best place as it's mostly Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet videos.

First heard on a writing course way back when (though it was in its 'discontinued' phase). Then found the Sitcom Trials website/forums (admittedly there were vids there but as nothing was happening at the time, rarely went on). Then BSG (which is the source of all things writing for me certainly -- nothing is as good as these forums here for info). Every1sACritic didn't seem to mention the videos (though it's not the easiest website to navigate).

I genuinely didn't know about any of the videos on YouTube (especially Sweet As... as I knew that won last time) until you mentioned it. It's blindingly obvious now, of course! I don't go to YouTube without somebody saying 'Look at this!', which, I suspect, is how most people use YouTube. I may be wrong though...

Dan

Hello everyone

We'd like to thank Kev F Sutherland for the opportunity of presenting The Sitcom Trials for the past two seasons. We're handing it back to him so that we can concentrate on our own sitcom development show, which we'll be launching in the next few weeks. We're very excited about it, so watch this space for further details. And we'll certainly be in the front row for the Sitcom Trials 10 Year Anniversary in the autumn, it'll be nice to be in the audience for once.

We'd also like to thank everyone who came and supported The Sitcom Trials while we held onto the reins, both at the Hob in Forest Hill and at the Leicester Square Theatre, and huge thanks to Emma Emslie at the Hob and Martin Witts at the Leicester Square for their help, faith and support.

We'll let you know in the next few weeks what we've got planned.

Cheers
Simon and Declan
Every 1's A Critic

I hope you haven't nicked any ideas while doing the courses. :O Laughing out loud

Quote: Kev F @ May 26 2009, 9:50 PM BST

Which begs the question, where and how have you heard about the Sitcom Trials up until now?

I found out on a writing workshop last summer, someone said I could find the details in the BBC writers room. That sent me to the E1AC site and then Simon recommended this one!

I did look at a video a while back but it really couldn't compare with going to a live show. If the sound in particular was improved I think we'd send the links to each other etc and numbers would soon pick up.

Chappers don't be such a cynic. :) Declan said develop not nick!

Jx

Declan also said 'sitcom development show' not sitcom.

I seem to remember hearing about it through writers room too, although almost too late to enter.

With regard to videoing, I think that would be great if you can achieve a good quality. To have a calling card from the show would be a big incentive. I'm pretty sure many of the sitcoms this year (mine included) look better in performance than on the page.

I've considered getting mine filmed offline, but I'm not sure how well that would work, or even if it is possible

I found out about the Trials through Writers' Room (about 3 days before the deadline) entirely by chance.

Quote: Ponderer @ May 27 2009, 9:43 AM BST

I seem to remember hearing about it through writers room too, although almost too late to enter.

With regard to videoing, I think that would be great if you can achieve a good quality. To have a calling card from the show would be a big incentive. I'm pretty sure many of the sitcoms this year (mine included) look better in performance than on the page.

I've considered getting mine filmed offline, but I'm not sure how well that would work, or even if it is possible

Hi G

Simon has posted on here before about someone who'll film a segment for you. I think he's a BBC cameraman. Let me know if you want the details.

I've heard mixed opinions on whether that's really worthwhile though in terms of sending to potential producers, but it would be a great keepsake!

Jx

Quote: Jane P @ May 27 2009, 12:48 PM BST

Hi G

Simon has posted on here before about someone who'll film a segment for you. I think he's a BBC cameraman. Let me know if you want the details.

I've heard mixed opinions on whether that's really worthwhile though in terms of sending to potential producers, but it would be a great keepsake!

Jx

Thanks Jane. I have the guys number etc. but I have practical issues at present with cast and director being far flung, venues etc. I was also unsure about usefulness as a calling card, particularly if filmed without an audience for responses etc. Probably won't get round to it realistically but as you say it would be a nice keepsake.