Horne & Corden Page 12

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 11 2009, 1:08 PM GMT

The writing certainly could have been stronger. That 'I'm coming' one for instance, it imediately springs to my mind that they could have done a Fast Show with that, have it keep popping up for a few seconds at a time; each time he's got longer hair/beard. He's taken so long that by the end he's f**king a skeleton. That sort of thing.

Good idea that.

Quote: chipolata @ March 11 2009, 1:12 PM GMT

The writing SHOULD have been stronger. There's no excuse. The Beeb were playing these guys up as the new Morcambe and Wise, so they should have made sure they had a decent team of writers backing them up. As a result, it just makes the whole corporation look amatuer and ever so slightly clueless.

Well, it only makes them look like that to the people who hated the show of course.

Quote: chipolata @ March 11 2009, 1:03 PM GMT

Don't start that nonsense again. Even a non-writer can spot predictability when it's served up to them on a plate.

I'm sure all sorts of people can spot it. But you have to be open to seeing it. Writers are necessarily analytical (that's not a bad thing), and even if only subconsciously, the mind will often be running ahead and working out possible conclusions to what one is watching. Again, that's not a bad thing - it's just not the way many people 'work'.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 11 2009, 1:14 PM GMT

Well, it only makes them look like that to the people who hated the show of course.

I didn't hate the show. And although I'd quite like to punch Corden, I nonetheless think he and Horne are talented comedy actors. I just think this was weak. And if the BBC are really serious about launching these as major sketch stars, they should have backed them up with some serious writing talent.

Okay, well, I think when it's good, then it's good (the old school chum/I'm coming) and when it's bad it's f**king abysmal (the gay war reporter - titter ye not).

They could probably do without the intros at the start as well - bit too Ant and Dec (not as as shit, but still...).

And the show may not have a huge budget, but the studio set does look a tad on the cheap side.

Other than that, for BBC Three it's a decent fist of a show.

Having said that, I'm looking forward so much more to the Stewart Lee Comedy Vehicle. On BBC-propertelly -2!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 11 2009, 1:23 PM GMT

f**king abysmal (the gay war reporter - titter ye not).

Now that WAS shit.

Was it directed by Kathy Burke?

Or did my credits reading eyes deceive me?

Quote: zooo @ March 11 2009, 1:51 PM GMT

Yes she directed it.

Ah yes, I remember reading about that.

I saw Rob Brydon and Simon Greenall (aka Michael from Alan Partridge) in the credits - where were they in the show? The relay race commentator?

Quote: shaggy292 @ March 11 2009, 1:53 PM GMT

Ah yes, I remember reading about that.

I saw Rob Brydon and Simon Greenall (aka Michael from Alan Partridge) in the credits - where were they in the show? The relay race commentator?

Simon Greenall was the director in the Karate Kid sketch.

Quote: zooo @ March 11 2009, 1:51 PM GMT

Yep. 'hem. https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/horne_corden/details/ :)

That was just weak and it looked cheap. The Superman Spiderman sketch could have worked if they'd worked out the references.

And yes James Corden is fat, but is that really funny enough to make up half the ready sketches?

Horne and Corden vs. Ant and Dec - Comparison Wars!

Though I predict a general loathing for Ant and Dec on this forum, I think the way they've managed their careers has been nothing less then phenomenal.

Unlike H&C, they didn't come from a sitcom background and after leaving Byker Grove, their next project was the musical stylings of PJ & Duncan. They should have faded away into obscurity after that (with occassional appearances on EastEnders and The Bill before Panto season kicked off again).

But they didn't, instead they hired some competent writers to create their material and bounced back with The Ant and Dec Show. From then on, the Geordie duo became Bafta Sharks, eating up award after award (in between defrauding the public with rigged premium rate phone scams) and decimating all in their wake.

Will Horne and Corden reach the same dizzying heights as Donelly and McPartlan? Only if they follow the Geordies' lead by hiring decent writers and making their act more 'wholesome'.

Of course, my comparison could be entirely false, maybe H&C want to be the new Newman and Baddiel, Lucas and Walliams or perhaps even, Little and Large. Maybe I think about these things a little bit too much and I should really be doing something more constructive with my time.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ March 11 2009, 3:00 PM GMT

Horne and Corden vs. Ant and Dec - Comparison Wars!

Of course, my comparison could be entirely false...

Don't think it is entirely incorrect as I made a similar remark earlier about Ant and Dec. I thought the opening bits of Horne and Corden were similar to Ant and Dec in the obvious way they're trying to create a bit of conflict between themeselves but it just ends up looking terribly staged.

They may ideally want to be Newman and Baddiel 'cool', but are more likely to end up And and Dec mainstream.

Who else wrote for this? Or was it just C&H?