Horne & Corden Page 16

And was the sketch in Horne & Corden set at an indoor meeting...?

There are plenty of events which are in indoor meets but not outdoor one - 60m sprint and hurdles for example. The other way round, they tend not to do javelin at indoor meets for some reason.

That said, the 4x200m is still a rare event at indoor meets - it does happen - and I'm sure you could find more occurances at unheard of meets around the world - but it's rare.

ahem... Surely this is getting bogged down in pedantics... The point of the sketch was that James Corden is fat!!! He can't run fast!!1!! Lolzzz

I think all this talk of scholastic sporting pursuits is somewhat getting us away from the central thrust of the argument.

The fact is that we have valuable airtime being clogged up with waste like this when there could be so many other worthier programmes being shown, such as my forthcoming sitcom about a lad called Christopher Trent who cycles around Britain with "hilarious" consequences.

Look out for "Chris T On A Bike", folks.

I cannot believe anyone is being so flipping anal about the name of a race. Big deal. With sketches about superheroes, it's not exactly going to be grounded in accuracy and 100% pin-point factuality.

Quote: Aaron @ March 12 2009, 1:38 PM GMT

I cannot believe anyone is being so flipping anal about the name of a race. Big deal. With sketches about superheroes, it's not exactly going to be grounded in accuracy and 100% pin-point factuality.

Wait . . . are you saying superheroes aren't real? Teary

Quote: Sebastian Melmoth @ March 12 2009, 1:34 PM GMT

I think all this talk of scholastic sporting pursuits is somewhat getting us away from the central thrust of the argument.

The fact is that we have valuable airtime being clogged up with waste like this when there could be so many other worthier programmes being shown, such as my forthcoming sitcom about a lad called Christopher Trent who cycles around Britain with "hilarious" consequences.

Look out for "Chris T On A Bike", folks.

Is he fat? I mean really fat? Or gay (or just sounding really gay in a 1970s Jim Davidson way)? Otherwise it just won't be funny..

I didn't mean it to get sidetracked with chat about athletics. My point was why not get basic facts right? If you watched a drama supposedly set in Lincoln with everyone driving on the right would it not grate a bit?

Obviously a sketch on superheros is fantasy based, so pretty much anything goes. But I was trying to make a general point about production values - surely having basic errors is indicative of a lack of subbing, checking the script etc. The sort of stuff we should all follow when submitting a script - e.g. don't get names of politicians wrong if you're submitting a topical sketch to 7on7.

Quote: Barbs @ March 12 2009, 11:42 AM GMT

My mood probably wasn't helped by watching it while needing urgent root canal work and in massive pain - the pain, the horrible, horrible pain...

But just as people are surprised by the level of venom some have given it, I'm equally surprised that other people found it passable. I honestly came on to this thread expecting everyone to have hated it - I didn't even consider some people would find it amusing.

I suppose that's partly what makes comedy both great and bad - there is nothing that everyone would find funny and probably nothing that everyone would hate.

But - if the sketches in the show were posted by newbie writers in the critique thread would they get glowing reviews? I suspect not. And yet surely for the show to be getting on BBC 3 the sketches should be of a standard where if you put them on the critique here they would all be in the top 1%.

As for more constructive criticism, did the laziness of research not annoy anyone? Only a small example, but in that relay race sketch they talked about the 4 x 200 metre relay. There is no such race - it wasn't a joke, just a very basic factual error. It suggests there is no subbing process.

Is it on writersroom where there is a quote that 'writing is rewriting'. Well, that doesn't seem to have applied here.

(Incredibly I've forgotten all about my tooth pain while typing. Today could be massively prolific).

You racist!

Arf arf!

But good point, I mean the superhero sketch would have benefited from making their minds up about if they were North London lads or the actual characters.

Quote: Barbs @ March 12 2009, 1:46 PM GMT

I didn't mean it to get sidetracked with chat about athletics. My point was why not get basic facts right? If you watched a drama supposedly set in Lincoln with everyone driving on the right would it not grate a bit?

It just seemed a bit ironic you claiming there is 'no such race' and lambasting their lack of basic research when it would have taken you less than a minute to find out that there is such a race.

Anyway, I didn't even get that far through their show so I have no idea if the sketch was funny or not. I'll probably finish watching it at some point.

let's not get back into that debate about whether there is a race (there's not - not outdoors!!!) Surely as a sport journalist for the Beeb I win anyway?!

But you're right mate - it's not that big a deal. The problem that every review I have read in the papers has slated the show and few are jumping to defend it on here - and presumably the pattern is repeated on other forums - is a far bigger concern for them, or should be.

It will be interesting to see how the ratings go. If it keeps a big audience then it doesn't really matter what people like me think as it will have been a success.

What does actually concern me is that its aimed at 16 year old kids, and we face the prospect of school playgrounds full of kids doing 'camp' voices to take the piss as if its 1973 again...

Quote: Barbs @ March 12 2009, 2:41 PM GMT

Surely as a sport journalist for the Beeb I win anyway?!

Epic fail.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 12 2009, 2:44 PM GMT

What does actually concern me is that its aimed at 16 year old kids, and we face the prospect of school playgrounds full of kids doing 'camp' voices to take the piss as if its 1973 again...

And if it weren't for this show kids wouldn't make fun of gayness? :S

Quote: Aaron @ March 12 2009, 2:45 PM GMT

Epic fail.

It was delivered with tongue firmly in cheek.

But come on ... sports? Really?