Horne & Corden Page 15

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 11 2009, 11:36 PM GMT

So all-in-all, I thought it definitely had its moments and I'll be interested to see how the series progresses. They're both obviously very good performers and with the right material could be brilliant. I do see them doing darker, more cerebral material very well. But that ain't BBC Three.

A good review Lee, and I think I agree with most of your opinions on the individual sketches. This wasn't by any means a great show, at times it was barely even a passable show, but I really don't believe it was as shockingly awful as some seem to think. I think it can improve.

The burger van sketch was actually quite funny. It takes guts (sorry) to do that in front of the cameras and I thought they pulled it off amusingly-enough.

I can't give James Corden comedy points for being brave enough for exposing his body.

The Gervais sketch was interesting - I'm assuming it'll be a runner where Ricky is in different films / situations, otherwise the Karate Kid reference confused me. But Corden's impression was funny. And it's about time someone took the piss out of Gervais.

He was doing David Brent rather than Gervais though and a have a couple of criticisms of that. Firstly it's a bit late, secondly someone (Culshaw?) has already done a really good Brent impression a while back (Corden's accent wasn't quite right) and thridly it just seems a bit sus taking the pee out of him.

The ginger practical joker sketch wasn't much to go on. I assume it's another runner but it just made me think of the Fast Show's Colin Hunt, only not as funny.

Agreed.

The military / Nokia charger sketch was weak I thought. I imagine it'll get better if it's a runner and they explore future scenarios where important meetings are interrupted by evermore trivial concerns.

I wrote a very similar sketch a while ago. But it was funnier of course. It was rejected for everything I sent it in for. :)

The alcoholic shouty chum from boarding school (Xander?) didn't really do it for me. It was very light on gags and was relying heavily on cringe giggles, swearing in front of kids etc.

IMO this was probably the only sketch that had any depth and Corden actually acted in.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 12 2009, 9:02 AM GMT

It got a record audience for BBC 3. Obviously that could drop a lot.

Of course there's been worse. Many far worse. But my view on this was disapointment, they're good performers the show had good ideas but it was just a bit ok. And there seems to be alot of that in comedy.

Watch Alas Smith & Jones for good fat gags and that excellent one in Not The Nine O'Clock News (squeezing out of the closet).

The superhero sketch would have killed if they'd made some sort of effort to even slightly copy the characters they were mocking.

It smacked of "they're famous what more do you want?" school of sketch show.

Where were the people who write for Smack The Pony or Armstrong And Miller?

Quote: sootyj @ March 12 2009, 10:01 AM GMT

Of course there's been worse many far worse. But my view on this was disapointment, they're good performers the show had good ideas but it was just a bit ok. And there seems to be alot of that in comedy.

That's fair enough, I'm not pretending it was great, just hoping for a bit more of a reasoned critique, so people can actually discuss the merits or lack of, as opposed to 'this is the shittest thing ever', when it clearly isn't and leaves no room for valuable discussion. :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 12 2009, 10:05 AM GMT

valuable discussion. :)

What is valuable discussion? Are we going to reach a set of conclusions and these will be emailed to Horne and Codren, who will then think about our wise words and incorporate them into the next series?

Quote: chipolata @ March 12 2009, 11:06 AM GMT

What is valuable discussion? Are we going to reach a set of conclusions and these will be emailed to Horne and Codren, who will then think about our wise words and incorporate them into the next series?

Yes; yes we are.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 12 2009, 11:09 AM GMT

Yes; yes we are.

:) I knew the BSG would come good eventually.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 12 2009, 10:05 AM GMT

... as opposed to 'this is the shittest thing ever', when it clearly isn't...

It's pretty damned close though.
:D

My mood probably wasn't helped by watching it while needing urgent root canal work and in massive pain - the pain, the horrible, horrible pain...

But just as people are surprised by the level of venom some have given it, I'm equally surprised that other people found it passable. I honestly came on to this thread expecting everyone to have hated it - I didn't even consider some people would find it amusing.

I suppose that's partly what makes comedy both great and bad - there is nothing that everyone would find funny and probably nothing that everyone would hate.

But - if the sketches in the show were posted by newbie writers in the critique thread would they get glowing reviews? I suspect not. And yet surely for the show to be getting on BBC 3 the sketches should be of a standard where if you put them on the critique here they would all be in the top 1%.

As for more constructive criticism, did the laziness of research not annoy anyone? Only a small example, but in that relay race sketch they talked about the 4 x 200 metre relay. There is no such race - it wasn't a joke, just a very basic factual error. It suggests there is no subbing process.

Is it on writersroom where there is a quote that 'writing is rewriting'. Well, that doesn't seem to have applied here.

(Incredibly I've forgotten all about my tooth pain while typing. Today could be massively prolific).

Quote: Barbs @ March 12 2009, 11:42 AM GMT

Only a small example, but in that relay race sketch they talked about the 4 x 200 metre relay. There is no such race - it wasn't a joke, just a very basic factual error.

I noticed that! Did seem a bit weird - surely the individual 200m?

Quote: shaggy292 @ March 12 2009, 11:44 AM GMT

I noticed that! Did seem a bit weird - surely the individual 200m?

Did they run 100m or 200m each? Because if they ran 200m, it would have taken ages.

Quote: Barbs @ March 12 2009, 11:42 AM GMT

they talked about the 4 x 200 metre relay. There is no such race

Define what you mean by "There is no such race". We used to do the 4 x 200m relay at school.

Quote: Afinkawan @ March 12 2009, 12:36 PM GMT

Define what you mean by "There is no such race". We used to do the 4 x 200m relay at school.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a race like that too. Didn't people like Roger Black used to take part?

Well, I'm not an expert on sport at your school, but the 4x200m isn't an event at any major athletics championship that I'm aware of (though I'm sure someone can find some random event somewhere where it is run if they really want to...)

But in things like Olympics, World Championships, European champs, US champs etc, etc... there is no such event - indeed most tracks don't even have the markings to run it.

The athletes in the sketch were in what were meant to look like GB kits and they talked of a guy winning a silver medal in the 4x200m. But, at senior championships that would not be possible. As the sketch was the 4x100m, they should have just said the guy had already won a medal in the 4x400m (though I think the 4x400m is normally run after the 4x100m!)

EDIT: Roger Black ran the 4x400 metres, and was also an Olympic silver medallist in the individual 400m at Atlanta in 1996, Michael johnson winning of course. Some 200m runners - notably John Regis - were also successful 4x400m runners.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 12 2009, 12:45 PM GMT

I'm pretty sure I've seen a race like that too. Didn't people like Roger Black used to take part?

A far-less-than-exhaustive Google search shows that the 2009 CIS Indoor Track & Field Championships in Ontario include the 4x200m relay tomorrow and Saturday.