Horne & Corden Page 14

The Heston Blumenthal show was fantastic, funny, sureal and utterly pointless.

I'm going to release some pigeons from a giant pie and serve you edible cutlery. For no reason other than it's ace TV.

Did he dye the pigeons purple as well? Or was that just my eyes. I wasn't really watching that bit properly.

No the pigeons were unmolested. Heston would make a totally ace Doctor Who villain.

It was very interesting. That ice cream pork pie was ace.

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 11 2009, 8:26 PM GMT

Just watching now, the gay journalist in Bazra is quite funny. And Corden has Gervais down. :D

Wasn't overly impressed by the end. They mostly seemed to play on the fact that Corden is fat.

I think the main problem with this sort of venture is taking two people from a popular show and then building a new project around them as 'personalities' rather than as actors in an ensemble. If the personality you are building the show on is loud, brash and unfunny you're facing an uphill struggle...

Quote: SMOS @ March 11 2009, 5:06 PM GMT

Prior to watching Horne & Corden, I viewed Heston Blumenthal's (great name) cookery programme, his theme being yesteryear foods. Entertaining stuff. Switching on to Horne & Corden, it was apparent that they had picked up on the yesteryear "food theme" as they duly presented us with tripe and more tripe.

Haha!

Quote: Danny K @ March 11 2009, 8:11 PM GMT

In fact such is the vitriol gaining momentum against H&C, that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the show pulled before it completes its scheduled run.

Highly unlikely.

I know it's not really discussing the programme, but I just tried to find this on iPlayer for my sister and it seems to have completely disappeared.

I wonder why?

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ March 11 2009, 10:50 PM GMT

I know it's not really discussing the programme, but I just tried to find this on iPlayer for my sister and it seems to have completely disappeared.

I wonder why?

Verrrry interesting! Hm. Yes, well spotted!

Just watched this, made a few notes for what they're worth.

Wasn't sure about the beginning bit talking to the audience in that hyper-energetic way...it felt a bit Nickelodeon / Kenan and Kel if you know what I mean.

The burger van sketch was actually quite funny. It takes guts (sorry) to do that in front of the cameras and I thought they pulled it off amusingly-enough. Definitely made me chuckle.

The Basra gay reporter annoyed me, mainly because he's using the exact catchphrases a sketch character of mine uses. I'll have to change it now. Grrrr. But the sketch itself was okay I thought.

The Gervais sketch was interesting - I'm assuming it'll be a runner where Ricky is in different films / situations, otherwise the Karate Kid reference confused me. But Corden's impression was funny. And it's about time someone took the piss out of Gervais.

The two teachers doing the cock drawing lesson was good. Got an audible snort from me when they did the cock reveal on the blackboard - although I'd have much preferred the drawing to be much cruder in design like real schoolboy cock drawings are. (Sorry - I'm a connoissuer)
One thing I did pick up on was the similarity between this sketch and the one in Python's "Meaning Of Life", where Cleese is shagging his missus in front of a classroom full of kids during a sex ed lesson, and the kids are bizarrely-bored with the lesson. Still, I enjoyed this sketch.

The Horne and Corden aftershave ad made me cringe a bit...mainly because it was the third fat joke in ten minutes. Fat jokes are funny - but come on.

And then straight after that, the relay race sketch. Another fat gag. Yeah, Corden's fat - I get it. This is starting to get annoying.

The ginger practical joker sketch wasn't much to go on. I assume it's another runner but it just made me think of the Fast Show's Colin Hunt, only not as funny.

I did really enjoy the Superman / Spiderman sketch. I thought it was a lovely idea, having them talking in the gym changing room. It's basically a comment on how awkward those gym moments are, when you're bollock naked talking to a stranger, and having that dynamic amplified by the fact that you're both superheroes was an engaging twist I thought. Also loved the part where Superman coyly takes his pants off, even though he's wearing them OVER his leotard. Lots of funny, clever ideas and my favourite sketch so far.

The "I'm gonna come" sketch was a bit uncomfortable but made me titter.

The military / Nokia charger sketch was weak I thought. I imagine it'll get better if it's a runner and they explore future scenarios where important meetings are interrupted by evermore trivial concerns.

The alcoholic shouty chum from boarding school (Xander?) didn't really do it for me. It was very light on gags and was relying heavily on cringe giggles, swearing in front of kids etc.

The anti-gun crime magician sketch was worth it just for the brilliant dance routine.

So all-in-all, I thought it definitely had its moments and I'll be interested to see how the series progresses. They're both obviously very good performers and with the right material could be brilliant. I do see them doing darker, more cerebral material very well. But that ain't BBC Three.

I've just watched this now and after having read the comments on here, I wasn't expecting too much but I actually quite enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to next weeks to see how it develops. My only criticism would be that some of the sketches were a little too long for the joke for my liking but all in all I found it quite enjoyable.

Previously I've only ever posted a few sketches and reviewed other sketch submitted sketches on here, but something about H&C made me want to comment.

I thought it was truly woeful - some of the worst TV of any genre I have ever seen. Some of the set ups might have seen OK on paper, but there were no jokes whatsoever.

I was on another, somewhat more forthright forum while it was on and these were my thoughts. A few words have been starred to save delicate minds.

Horne & Cordon.

About 10 mins to go and they are going to have to be good minutes for this to avoid being THE WORST F----NG SKETCH SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN. By a f**king mile.

Some of the characters and set ups might be OK (some are woeful - a gay reporter, a fat man running slowly in a relay (who saw that coming...) but where are the jokes? And there are no punchlines whatsoever - sketches just end when they the pair run out of waffle.

At least 30% of the sketches rely on the basic joke that James Cordon is fat. Who knew? Him showing his belly 3 times in 20 minutes - I mean, for FFS.

The writing is flabby and basic errors grate. in the relay sketch they say the second bloke won a medal in the 4x 200 metres relay. The what??? Where exactly do they run that race? Is it meant to be funny, or just a piss poor factual error.

Does anyone check this s&it? Does anyone have the power to say - you know what lads, this is f-@*ing s-1t. We cannot put this on TV - not even BBC 3.

Up to 25 mins - still no laughs. A bit of random swearing from a drunk. This is dire.

My god, this is the shi--est TV I have seen in a long time. Woeful, inept. Bunch of up-their-own arse *&*^%.

I mean, it might be old school, but tell me a &^--ing joke. Make me laugh. It is a comedy. And don't parody Ricky Gervais when , for all his faults, he is in a league light years ahead of yours.

An Open Letter to James Cordon:

"Dear James,

"I am, at heart, a tolerant chap. I wholeheartedly subscribe to the maxim, "Let he who shall presume to judge others be first judged himself".

"However, the sight of your vast, undulating belly wobbling violently on my television screen last night, like a hideous blancmange on a Waltzer, raised the bile in my throat and left me so pallid of cheek that Mrs Melmoth panicked and dashed to switch over to Newsnight. The sedative thus administered in the form of Mr Gavin Esler, my equilibrium was soon restored.

"May I ask, nay, DEMAND, that any further exposure of your capacious gut be pixelated, or at least prefaced by a warning klaxon, so I will know to gather the children close until the ordeal is over.

"Thanking you in advance,

"Yours etc,

"Sebastian Melmoth.

"PS: Your show is shit."

When is it repeated?

Quote: Danny K @ March 11 2009, 8:11 PM GMT

II wouldn't be at all surprised to see the show pulled before it completes its scheduled run.

It got a record audience for BBC 3. Obviously that could drop a lot.

Quote: Marc P @ March 12 2009, 9:00 AM GMT

When is it repeated?

It's on the iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jj79f/Horne_and_Corden_Episode_1/