Horne & Corden Page 21

Ooohs.

Let us all calm down yeah?

Yeah it was awful but in the era of Tittybangbang and Little Miss Joycelyn it is in no way the worst ever sketch show.

Quote: Aaron @ March 15 2009, 6:35 PM GMT

I'm pretty sure he said on The Sunday Night Project that he was single, so would have to be again.

His girlfriend was in the audience sat with his family.
I think this show has confirmed what I've always thought - Ruth Jones is the real talent behind G&S

Quote: No-One @ March 15 2009, 7:11 PM GMT

Ruth Jones is the real talent behind G&S

I've seen a few people say this now and I am bemused by it. Because you think one show he's written is bad, does not mean he didn't bring great work to another project.

I think, apart from the not-very-goodness of the script and the over exposure etc etc, Corden has studied Ricky Gervais too much - and not just for that sketch. On the face of it the ingredients are there:

Overweight - check
Aware of being overweight - check
Co-wrote a sitcom - check
Become seen as mainstream - check
Won awards for said sitcom - check
Become 'hot property' - check

Then he seems to have studied Gervais too deeply. To me, Gervais's 'persona' when collecting awards etc seems to be an extension of the crassness of Brent, but he always manages to stay on the right side of funny. When Corden had his Bafta moment I reckon he was attempting the same thing, but he's just not in the same league as Gervais (yet)and so comes across as genuinely arrogant. It doesn't strike the same tone.

I suspect JC is genuinely arrogant - that's the problem. I'm not sure Gervais is.

The attempted cool feel of their sketch show (e.g the music around the studio bits) reminded me strongly of The Mary Whitehouse Experience. I suspect that this is how they see themselves, and that aiming to emulate this show was deliberate.

Just thinking - wasn't the show originally called 'Horne & Corden Have Come', or something like that?

Maybe they were pressured into changing it. Maybe if it had stuck (so to speak) that would be another bit of criticism for the show!

Quote: Martin H @ March 15 2009, 5:31 PM GMT

Didn't they directly steal the "three lines emanating from the crown" line?

I don't remember them using the line (and I'm not sitting through it again on iPlayer), but if that's the case then they are even lazier than I thought: that particular Partridge episode involved him drawing said cock in front of a class of school kids too. Errr

A 'tense' military strategy meeting 'in the field'... don't recall Partridge parallels, unless you mean the funeral in which case it was quite different.

Quote: Wistyish @ March 15 2009, 8:52 PM GMT

I suspect JC is genuinely arrogant - that's the problem. I'm not sure Gervais is.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt :D

Although I think you'd have to be pretty arrogant to cobble this lot together and think it was suitable for broadcast...

The thing is... I have to agree with the BBC. It pulled in a lot of viewers and it's not aimed at us.

Although the more people slag it off, the more I'm inclined to give it a chance to be honest.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 13 2009, 4:25 PM GMT

News - the gun sketch has been pulled from the repeats and the iPlayer edition of the show because of the shootings in Germany.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/2009/03/bbc_pulls_horne__corden_gun_sketch.html

I don't remember seeing that one, they must have pulled it before the repeat I saw.

I'll have to download it or something.

Quote: shaggy292 @ March 15 2009, 9:35 PM GMT

Just thinking - wasn't the show originally called 'Horne & Corden Have Come', or something like that?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/horne_corden/

I enjoyed it more than I expected to really. True some of the content was self-indulgent and puerile, but you can't deny they are talented performers.

I think the main problem is JC lets himself down when he appears as himself, or in his "persona" during the studio bits for the show. He is unquestionably smug and irritating, and it will shorten their shelf life.

Horne has just been interviewed by Phil and Fearne...interestingly he said that he and Corden had to go through a 40 minute pitch acting out all the characters etc before they got the commission. I've just recently heard that two very famous comedians have just had to do the same thing for a sitcom of theirs.

Tis tough out there, even for the big boys.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 15 2009, 7:19 PM GMT

I've seen a few people say this now and I am bemused by it. Because you think one show he's written is bad, does not mean he didn't bring great work to another project.

Very true. I don't think I've said what I think of this yet - as a massive Gavin & Stacey fan I was really hoping for it to be good, but I was slightly disappointed. Some of it was funny, but there were bits of it where I think had they maybe had a more experienced sketch writer (I don't know just who else had input into the sketches) they could have got a lot more humour out of it. I'll still watch it tomorrow to see if it's improved.

I loved the sketch with the alcoholic and his old school friend, who gets him to do their secret 'handshake' from school in front of his family.

I don't think they copied the penis drawing from Alan Partridge - drawing penises seems to be pretty common at most schools. Most of my exercise books were covered in them (drawn by friends, not me). One guy even drew a penis on my blazer in tippex that didn't come off. I had a hard job explaining that one.