Horne & Corden Page 8

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2009, 2:11 PM GMT

This thread depresses me.

Which bit?

All the h8terz dawg. Not that I'm a big fan or anything, but the amount of bile they've attracted is astounding, even for here!

I'm not sure the bile is fifty fifty, I get the sense that one of the performers rankles people more than the other.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 10 2009, 2:30 PM GMT

If something's hated, we talk about it in equal terms.

Yeeees, but it's the AMOUNT of hate, in reaction to the amount of work. This pair haven't written a show togehter before, but are being shredded. Though I agree the very few clips that I've seen so far are not at all promising. Though having said that, they were being torn to bits when the show was announced, before they'd even filmed or performed any of it! A lot of people just don't seem to like them at all, regardless.

Their current ubiquity is annoying (the Brits was a huge mistake), but their new show deserves to be judged on its own merits, surely.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 10 2009, 2:41 PM GMT

G&S was cloying and dull.

Well, I'll have to disagree with you there, I liked the show.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 10 2009, 2:41 PM GMT

Yeah but it's track record based surely?

But the track record is a single hit comedy in G & S, and a few bits in Tate's show. Still, I would argue, hardly enough for the level of hatred, even if you don't happen to like those shows. That's what I think anyway.

I just find it quite interesting how much these two, or at least Corden, seem to rub so many people up the wrong way! :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2009, 2:57 PM GMT

I just find it quite interesting how much these two, or at least Corden, seem to rub so many people up the wrong way! :D

If Corden rubs people up the wrong way then he's got to be prepared to get his hands dirty!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2009, 2:57 PM GMT

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article5852854.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

The last paragraph may provide some more insight! Remind you of anyone.....

Quote: Simon B @ March 10 2009, 3:09 PM GMT

The last paragraph may provide some more insight! Remind you of anyone.....

That kind of thing doesn't bother me when he or Gervais do it; it's just a joke. Fuelled possibly by egotism, but a joke none the less.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2009, 3:14 PM GMT

That kind of thing doesn't bother me when he or Gervais do it; it's just a joke. Fuelled possibly by egotism, but a joke none the less.

I completely agree. The fact it winds so many people up is what makes it funny.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2009, 2:24 PM GMT

the amount of bile they've attracted is astounding, even for here!

It's really not (astounding for here).

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2009, 2:35 PM GMT

Yeeees, but it's the AMOUNT of hate, in reaction to the amount of work.

This, however, may very well be true.

I think a large part of the blame rests with the Beeb.

Contrast these two, Little Britain and Gervais with Not Going Out (as a current example). The hype is just not there for NGO (or Pulling, or Lead Balloon or Cowards or Annually Retentive...) - a series happens, the stars do a few interviews to promote it then drop from view for a bit, writing perhaps.

I think a lot of people tired of Catherine Tate (and she knew that and changed tack), but Matt Horne has found new, popular projects which have been hyped way beyond their level. I just didn't 'get' Gavin and Stacey, so the fanatical blanket publicity it gets leaves me cold. All the trailers over Christmas drove me potty. James Corden just comes across very irritating in all his appearances: too loud and smug. It's the same schtick as Gervais, but Gervais sends himself up at the same time and I don't get that vibe so clearly with Corden.

And the two just go from one 'project' to another appearance to the next programme without a break. It's just too much. Maybe the sketch show might be good, but from the trailers it looks, well, nothing special. Like I say, a lot of this is down to the Beeb - they get a hit and milk it.

Edited by Aaron.

I don't know if any one heard the Radio 4 programme feedback where they spoke to the BBC's commissioning team who were talking about the dros that was Broken Arts and their defence was that David Quantick had previous and that's why they gave him a commission that I know a some people would give their right arms for (apart from that guy on Robin's Nest).

I know it's 'go with what you know' and all that but the BBC say they're crying out for new writers and yet they put this on, again milking a cow that should have been shoot after G&S.

Come on BBC,

Angry, Brighton.

Edited by Aaron.

Unless you happened to like G & S.