Horne & Corden Page 3

Not a fan of Corden and the trailers looks awful, I think I will give this one a miss.

Also really put off by the trailers. Hope it'll surprise me, but I suspect it won't.

Well, still looking forward to it; Corden has a lot of charm and verve. Maybe it'll be shit, but I suspect the fact I don't hate 'Gavin and Stacey' and Corden, unlike a lot on here, means I'm open to giving it a chance. I'm sure a lot had written it off before they even wrote a sketch. I'm not saying it won't be rubbish, of course it might be.

The hate towards Corden does and will continue to confuse me.

On behalf of the defence I'd like to say Gavin and Stacey is one of my favourite 'current' shows and I actually enjoyed their Policeman's Ball performance, so I've been looking forward to this.

I think most sketch teams take a while to gel properly. Although I take the point that if something is really poorly written it shows immediately.

While I also love and respect the work of Fry and Laurie, I also remember the early days on Saturday Live and not every sketch was genius. But it was always fun to watch and once you liked 'them' you were willing to go along for the ride.

A lot of people have taken a dislike to H and C so I guess they'll never be won over.

But I'm still hoping it might have some good moments and if Kathy Burke is involved it can't be all bad surely?

J

Quote: Jane Perrin @ March 4 2009, 9:07 AM GMT

On behalf of the defence I'd like to say Gavin and Stacey is one of my favourite 'current' shows

Mine too, it is brilliant, but seems to be disliked a lot on here; just go have a peek at the thread for it on here!! A lot hate it to an insane degree for some reason.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 4 2009, 9:13 AM GMT

A lot hate it to an insane degree for some reason.

Hate's so much more fun than reasonableness! Plus the fat bastard doesn't do himself any favours with his personality. And the other one looks a bit like a kiddie fiddler.

I saw Corden in the stage version of the History Boys, he's very talented and a skilled actor. How ever his sketch comedy and stage performances reak of lazy populism. No decent writing, and using up a BBC slot on poorly prepared material.

The Fry and Laury sketch and the Corden Horden is essentially the same sketch. Thing is the first one is well directed, filmed etc implying to me a couple of performers more willing to work alongside fellow professionals.

Also in a lot of clips with H and C there is a real sense of witless vanity. E.g. that God awful one where they flirt with the waitresses on Virgin.

And as a fellow large person, Corden do you really want to be the new Rik Waller?

Quote: sootyj @ March 4 2009, 10:34 AM GMT

How ever his sketch comedy and stage performances reak of lazy populism.

I don't think any of us have seen enough to make a proper judgement on this side of his career, his sketch show hasn't even been broadcast yet. Though I don't imagine when it is it'll change anyones minds! Like I say, it could well be rubbish, but I'll wait and see.

Quote: sootyj @ March 4 2009, 10:34 AM GMT

lazy populism.

Can you give any examples of hard-working dilligent populism?

You could accuse any number of beloved comedy stars of lazy populism really. Morecambe and Wise, or the Two Ronnies, were hardly cutting edge, but they were brilliant.

Not that I'm trying to compare this pair to the greats or anything obviously.

I'll give it a try. I subscribe to the BBC on YouTube and a couple of sketches have appeared. Not fantastic, I have to say.

I do find Mr Corden persona a bit much.

Quote: chipolata @ March 4 2009, 10:58 AM GMT

Can you give any examples of hard-working dilligent populism?

DOCTORS

:)

Quote: Marc P @ March 4 2009, 11:08 AM GMT

DOCTORS

I said populism. :)

I saw a clip of Horne and Corden on the Paul O'Grady show, it looked good.

I'm looking forward to this. I hope it's good. I love James Corden, I like his confidence in himself. I wouldn't dismiss it as arrogance.