Peep Show - Series 5 Page 9

Oo, naughty naughty Channel 4!

Quote: SnoopsWarner @ May 18 2008, 7:51 PM BST

Yeah, I think C4 played these out of order. Week 2's episode makes much more sense as a direct follow-up on S4's finale.

Hi Snoops. Welcome to the site. Very interesting theory you've come up with here - and based on the TVs it looks like you're right - they must have swapped the episodes around!

Why have they done that though, that's the question?!? It definitely would have made more sense the other way around. The only thing I can think of is they wanted the Dobby link to follow straight into episode three? But that's a bit rubbish.

I've enjoyed series 5 thus far.

I think the charm with series 1 to 3 was that, bar a few very odd occurrences, a lot of it was quite believable - especially the thoughts in the guys' heads.

With series 4 things got a bit surreal. The dog eating bit was extreme. However... regardless of how surreal it got, it was genuinely very funny. I pissed myself at the scene with the charred dog in the bag.

So here we are, series 5, the aftermath of the wedding fiasco.

One thing that fascinates me is the different ways people accept and appreciate Peep Show. Like someone else saying the whole sucking off Barney bit was (in the words of Sophie's brother) "a bit much" - it's a comedy show, not a documentary. Sure it is dark at times, but it's all in the name of comedy.

The biggest threat for Peep Show is that it could get a bit repetitive. I mean when they aren't off on any 'adventures' it is essentially two weird blokes sharing a flat and making you cringe. I'm eager to see how this series pans out, especially considering the writers have claimed Peep Show could run forever, but I don't think people should necessarily moan every time they feel that one character did something they didn't like a few too many times in an episode.

It is a fine line though. I really don't want to hear Mark say "I think she's the one" any more in this series!

And to the person that said they really wanted for Mark to give the burglar the 'broom' the other week - I would have been very disappointed if he had. That is moving dangerously into catchphrase territory, much like the aforementioned "I think she's the one".

As a sidenote, how would you all like for Peep Show to (eventually) end? Surely they wouldn't make it Friends style soppy, ala happily ever after? Must be some middleground between making them both marry off and killing them off - hope it isn't too underwhelming. Oh the pressures of consistently writing comedy gold.

Like I said before, I wish they would stop making this show, just so I can own it all in one neat complete box set, watch it, and complain about how they didn't make more.

I love it. So cringe inducing, it makes me nervouse to watch it.

My siblings often enjoy the same comedies that I do, we have similar senses of humour, however my Brother isn't too keen on Peep Show and my Sister literally cannot watch it. She cant hack the cringey bits at all.

I cringe as much as the next guy, but it always seems to be the precursor to a very humourous moment in Peep Show - so it all balances out in the end!

I'm enjoying it but was slightly disappointed at Mark picking the 'pretty and horrible' one when he got the chance with Dobbie this week. It was a bit 'oh, Mark goes for the pretty and horrible one again' kind of feeling, and you knew he would. I wouldn't've minded so much if in voiceover he'd said something like 'Oh, here I go with the *pretty* one again' or something self-deprecating to that effect.

He's just done it before and he'll do it again. It was funny in the first few series when perhaps we didn't know Mark as well, but now we all know *exactly* how Mark is supposed to react to things, maybe it's time they surprised us with a complete change. He could go 'bollocks to the pretty one' and goes off with a *really* ugly girl, and she treats him the same way. His self-loathing would be *great* in an episode like that!

Dan

Quote: Mark @ May 19 2008, 12:17 AM BST

Hi Snoops. Welcome to the site. Very interesting theory you've come up with here - and based on the TVs it looks like you're right - they must have swapped the episodes around!

Why have they done that though, that's the question?!? It definitely would have made more sense the other way around. The only thing I can think of is they wanted the Dobby link to follow straight into episode three? But that's a bit rubbish.

But in episode one, it's clear Mark has never met Dobby before.

They've bought a new telly, for flip's sake. It happens.

Mmm, Dobby.

I thought Friday's was cringworthingly brilliant. The Aussie girl annoyed the hell out of me, but I love that Mark was still after her. Bless Jez... he's a plonker....but in a good way. :)

Quote: swerytd @ May 19 2008, 8:54 AM BST

I'm enjoying it but was slightly disappointed at Mark picking the 'pretty and horrible' one when he got the chance with Dobbie this week.

Dobby would appear to be an on-going character so perhaps they're building things up between them a bit slower? Hint: they are.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ May 19 2008, 9:30 AM BST

But in episode one, it's clear Mark has never met Dobby before.

They've bought a new telly, for flip's sake. It happens.

SnoopsWarner is right though - the widescreen TV appears in episode two, it was nicked in episode one. The new tiny TV they've bought does not appear until episode three. (Incidently I love how Jez complains about Mark buying a small TV, when it was Jez who helped the other one get nicked). Anyway, Dobby was not in episode one, hence the theory the episodes should have been the other way around still can make sense.

Eek, we're on episode three, aren't we?

I bow down before Mark, the mighty, king of the sitcoms.

I'm effectively a bumbling idiot, cacking on about nonsense.

I meant in episode two he doesn't know who Dobby is. But in the first episode he hasn't gone back to work yet. So episode one must happen before episode two, and episode two must happen before episode three.

I'm beginning to think the big telly/small telly thing is a massive cock-up from start to finish. They should be made to give back their Baftas.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ May 19 2008, 10:17 AM BST

I'm beginning to think the big telly/small telly thing is a massive cock-up from start to finish. They should be made to give back their Baftas.

:)

Yes - I agree. Out of protest at this unbelievable cock up, I'm going to stop watching this comedy and write to my MP!

In all seriousness though, why did they swap them around. It's odd.

Quote: swerytd @ May 19 2008, 8:54 AM BST

I'm enjoying it but was slightly disappointed at Mark picking the 'pretty and horrible' one when he got the chance with Dobbie this week. It was a bit 'oh, Mark goes for the pretty and horrible one again' kind of feeling, and you knew he would. I wouldn't've minded so much if in voiceover he'd said something like 'Oh, here I go with the *pretty* one again' or something self-deprecating to that effect.

He's just done it before and he'll do it again. It was funny in the first few series when perhaps we didn't know Mark as well, but now we all know *exactly* how Mark is supposed to react to things, maybe it's time they surprised us with a complete change. He could go 'bollocks to the pretty one' and goes off with a *really* ugly girl, and she treats him the same way. His self-loathing would be *great* in an episode like that!

Dan

To be fair, Mark DID show signs of changing in episode 3 by going Speed Dating and throwing a big Birthday Party. He wouldn't have done those things previously.

But sitcoms aren't about change, nothings supposed to change.

As such Peepshow isn't really a sitcom.

Interesting thing being, does it annoy us cos somethings change, but others don't.

Nothing is supposed to change? Sounds a bit boring. Maybe that's why some have quite short lives then.

Quote: jeej @ May 19 2008, 11:32 AM BST

To be fair, Mark DID show signs of changing in episode 3 by going Speed Dating and throwing a big Birthday Party. He wouldn't have done those things previously.

I suppose the main difference is that for the first few series, I thought he was effectively me. In this one (and the last), I think he's a bit of a knob.

Granted, there may not be any difference between my first and second sentences...

Dan