Peep Show - Series 5 Page 3

I want Big Suze.

Please.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ May 3 2008, 4:49 PM BST

Last series it was a bit 'Mark and Jez Go On Adventures' which sometimes took away from what Peep Show was about.

Yeah, that got a little annoying in the last series.

It was funny, in parts, and the structure of the episode worked well. but I did feel as if much of the humour was recycled from previous series' - i guess that's one of the problems of having a series that focusses so heavily on two characters. I'll keep watchin, from a professional point of view, and no doubt there will be some funny moments - but this is certainly a series that has peaked some time ago.

Also - I can't help but wonder just how much of an impact the Apple adverts had, and the dreadful sketch show. Knowing that the lead actors aren't especially funny in themselves is a little off putting.

It was funny, in parts, and the structure of the episode worked well. but I did feel as if much of the humour was recycled from previous series' - i guess that's one of the problems of having a series that focusses so heavily on two characters. I'll keep watchin, from a professional point of view, and no doubt there will be some funny moments - but this is certainly a series that has peaked some time ago.

Also - I can't help but wonder just how much of an impact the Apple adverts had, and the dreadful sketch show. Knowing that the lead actors aren't especially funny in themselves is a little off putting.

Hmm. Tend to agree with that, MTC.

It was pretty decent and probably still the best on TV by default, but I think it's probably past its best. The thing about Mitchell & Webb is that, to me, they were much better when people didn't know about them. They had a radio show and Peep Show was gaining an audience, but now they've been on everything it's all a bit too much.

Also, I think once you reach a big goal in a sitcom it can really suffer afterwards (Del becoming a millionaire, Niles marrying Daphne). I think I'd have preferred them to have gone on being single and then not had the wedding at the end of series 6 and called it a day then. Going back to how they were feels like they're starting all over and we've seen that.

Certainly it is better with them in the flat as it was all over the place to start with last series. But I don't see what Big Suze brings to proceedings, there aren't really any set-ups and jokes in there (you've just got to like things they come up with) and they really did the kids thing in an earlier series when they were hassling Mark.

can't speak for Webb, but David Mitchell is wonderfully funny without a Peep Show script. Here's a very charming podcast he did for The Sound of Young America.

http://www.maximumfun.org/blog/2008/04/podcast-david-mitchell-of-mitchell-webb.html

Judging by that, you can't speak for Mitchell either.

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ May 5 2008, 3:46 PM BST

Judging by that, you can't speak for Mitchell either.

ooh, get HER

:D

I tell you what I've missed from series 3 onwards, the lack of Mark vs Geoff action. That was a good source of conflict and resulted in some of the show's best laughs. Ah well.

Is Geoff going to be in this series?

Who was Geoff?

The one who Mark's girlfriend was dating a bit at work?

Yeah. Neil Fitzmaurice is his real name. I think...

Im giving you the broom Jeff!

Oh yes the broom!
I wanted Mark to give the criminals the broom last week. But he neglected to.

Quote: Winterlight @ May 5 2008, 7:01 PM BST

Is Geoff going to be in this series?

Yes he is, next weeks episode I believe.

Well I enjoyed the first episode of series 5. I laughed out loud quite a few times, especially during the whole theatre scene.

I'm just thrilled that there is something with as much quality as Peep Show has consistently had on the TV at the moment. And five series so far as well...great stuff
:)

Quote: Winterlight @ May 5 2008, 7:12 PM BST

Yeah. Neil Fitzmaurice is his real name. I think...

He can currently be seen in the "hilarious" Scallywagga. On the subject of Peep Show - I laughed quite a few times, and there were some good lines, but the whole episode did feel like a retread of past glories.