Carry On Star Jack Douglas Dies

BBC News:

Carry On actor Jack Douglas, who was also known for his theatrical work in plays and pantomimes, has died aged 81.

He had been ill in recent years and died on the Isle of Wight, where he lived with his partner, Vivien Howell.

His character, Alf Ippititimus, had the catchphrase "phwaay" and the actor appeared in eight Carry On films, two Christmas specials and a TV series.

Douglas, who was born in Newcastle upon Tyne, was also seen with The Goodies and on The Benny Hill Show.

Phil Dale, who was Douglas's agent and a long-time friend, described him as "one of those lovely people who came from the world of comedy and understood comedy timing in the sense of the old British tradition of farce".

This was an art that was "seldom done these days", Mr Dale added.

Theatrical family

Douglas's credits included Carry On Matron, Carry On Abroad, Carry On Girls, Carry On Dick, Carry On Behind, Carry On England and Carry On Emmanuelle.

And he was seen in the film which revived the franchise in 1992, Carry On Columbus.

He had put on his first stage show at the age of 15, having come from a theatrical family where his father was a producer.

On one occasion he performed, standing in for an actor who was ill, and enjoyed it so much that he decided he preferred to be on stage rather than behind the scenes.

As well as his acting career, he wrote a musical, a cookery book and an autobiography, entitled A Twitch in Time.

My God, I didn't realise he was still around to have died.

R.I.P.

Quote: Leevil @ December 18 2008, 2:23 PM GMT

My god, I didn't realise he was still around to have died.

R.I.P.

Same here.

See him in panto in Portsmouth when I was a kid. A legend.

One of my favourite Carry On-ners. Comedy folk are dropping like flies this year. RIP.

I shall lift a glass to his memory. And spill it.

Quote: Timbo @ December 18 2008, 2:54 PM GMT

I shall lift a glass to his memory. And spill it.

:) I think he would appreciate that.

I've seen Lance Percival around a couple of times recently.

Aw no. :(

Sucks indeed. Think I'll put on some Carry On Christmas tonight (if I can find it). RIP.

RIP

We're always going "phwaay" in work. :(

:( My Dad used to love him.

aww. :(

This is very sad news. RIP Jack.

They were talking about him on Danny Baker's show the last couple of weeks.

RIP.

There are enough of them now to make "Carry on in the Afterlife".... I'd like to see that. Bye Bye Jack Wave

Apart from Jim Dale and Barbara Windsor are there any left that appeared in more than a couple of the films?

Rest easy Jack, no need to spill that pint no more.