- Sid James, Barbara Windsor, Joan Sims, Kenneth Connor, Bernard Bresslaw, June Whitfield, Peter Butterworth, Jack Douglas and more
- Talbot Rothwell
- Gerald Thomas
- Peter Rogers
Suffering from rocketing average levels of rainfall and equally slumping sunshine, the once-bustling seaside town of Fircombe is in dire straits: who wants to holiday somewhere where the only indoor attraction is an amusement arcade?
Facing the quandry of how to attract punters for the coming season, arcade owner, small-time entrepreneur and local councillor Sidney Fiddler suggests that Fircombe establishes its own beauty pageant. Both contestants and spectators would help drive up local business, the publicity can only grow the town's fame, and besides, every other resort has one!
Whilst the Mayor is open to the idea, Cllr Augusta Prodworthy - a domineering killjoy and militant feminist in one - refuses to discuss the proposal, and storms out of the meeting. However, in her absence the rest of the council vote to pass the proposal...
Furious when she eventually hears of the news, Cllr Prodworthy gathers together her ground of womens' lib protestors and sets about making plans for the disruption of the pageant, and the humiliation of the Mayor, via almost any manner possible.
Fiddler, meanwhile, has arranged for the contestants to be put up in his girlfriend Connie's hotel without charge, and sent for an old friend and London-based agent and PR man, Peter Potter, to help organise and run the events. But with neither Peter's fiancée Paula nor Connie too impress by the boys' plans, it looks like they're fighting an uphill battle.
As the publicity machine ramps up and the bevy of busty beauties begin to descend on The Palace Hotel, Fircombe is sent into uproar. As the Mayor loses his trousers and the girls begin to squabble, a cross-dressing scandal threatens to rock the pageant and Prodworthy's group move in for the kill...
- When it comes to Beauty Queens - it's 'Carry On' and Bust!
- Part of
- UK certificate
- 88 minutes
- UK release
- Thursday 27th September 1973
- Also known as
- Carry On Beauty Queen (Working title)
- Camera set-up
- Single camera
- Most recent repeats
- Friday 22nd April 2022 at 12:05am on ITV3
- Saturday 16th April 2022 at 11:30am on ITV3
- Sunday 2nd January 2022 at 11:30am on ITV3
- Pinewood Studios
- Marylebone Station - Railway station.
- Slough - Fircombe town hall.
- Brighton - Fircombe locations.