I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,436

I'm starting to think it's not guns that are the problem.
It's Americans.

... or maybe the drugs that the perpetrators are invariably taking, whether by their own volition or prescribed for their on-going mental health problems. Maybe some research needs to be done into that.

We have extreme mental health problems in this country.
And plenty of people on drugs.
We don't shoot each other, though.

The problems with the worlds is that thousands of people vote for these pathetic useless crooks, there are in comparisons only a tiny number of petals on a daisys and it should in terms of the numerals be the other way rounds. We needs a new daisys age.

Quote: Lazzard @ 5th July 2022, 10:04 AM

We have extreme mental health problems in this country.
And plenty of people on drugs.
We don't shoot each other, though.

Except in Hungerford and Dunblane of course. And Cumbria. And Plymouth. Otherwise we tend to do it by bombs and knives. Same result. And of course Copenhagen is not in America.

Except mass shootings seem to happen on a weekly basis in America. Here, not so much.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th July 2022, 10:18 AM

Except in Hungerford and Dunblane of course. And Cumbria. And Plymouth. Otherwise we tend to do it by bombs and knives. Same result. And of course Copenhagen is not in America.

Yeah, but each one of those was about ten years apart - not ten weeks.
And of course other countries have mass shootings - just not on such an insanely regular basis.
If you're saying it's mental health and drugs - what is it about the "American Way of Life" that makes them that much more prone to these issues?
Or is is just the availability of guns that's magnifying the problem.
It is most certainly a US phenomenon . So why?

As I say we tend to do it with bombs and knives instead. Probably because guns are not so easily available. If they were we'd no doubt use them more readily. But bombs and knives have much the same result.

I'm certainly not saying that mental health, on its own, is a necessary factor. I'm putting forward the possibility that the drugs prescribed may have some effect on the mind as do other drugs. Unless research is done into that possibility we will never know.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th July 2022, 10:43 AM

As I say we tend to do it with bombs and knives instead.

Well, Americans kill more people with knives, per capita, than we do [2019].
Plus, they kill 100 times as many with guns [2019].
Excluding last year's Liverpool Hospital bombing (2 dead inc bomber) we haven't had a major bombing since 2017.
76 people have died from bombings in the UK this century.
The US have achieved 51 deaths from mass shootings already this year.
There is no comparison.

The deeply cretinous Americam congreeswoman Lauren Boebert made the point that Denmark has strict gun control laws and yet they still had a mass shooting. She neglected to point out it was their first in seven years.

Quote: chipolata @ 5th July 2022, 11:38 AM

The deeply cretinous Americam congreeswoman Lauren Boebert made the point that Denmark has strict gun control laws and yet they still had a mass shooting. She neglected to point out it was their first in seven years.

Do they even think before they open their gobs?

She definitely doesn't.

It'll be bad news for Ukraine when the Tories run out of perverts.
Zelenskiy only gets a phone-call when one of them gets caught at it.

Quote: Lazzard @ 5th July 2022, 11:18 AM

Excluding last year's Liverpool Hospital bombing (2 dead inc bomber) we haven't had a major bombing since 2017.

Well I'm sure the families of the person killed in the Liverpool Hospital bombing and all those killed prior to 2018 will be relieved to hear that.

Quote: Lazzard @ 5th July 2022, 11:18 AM

There is no comparison.

I'm not suggesting there is a comparison; that was never my point at all. All I'm suggesting is that perhaps we should be looking at a possible link with hallucinatory drugs, prescription or otherwise. Whether with regard to USA, Denmark, the UK or anywhere else. But if people wish to bury their heads in the sand over a potential explanation...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th July 2022, 1:22 PM

... a possible link with hallucinatory drugs, prescription or otherwise, might be worth reviewing. Whether with regard to USA, Denmark, the UK or anywhere else. But if people wish to bury their heads in the sand over a potential explanation...

It might well be.
But the drugs are usually there to combat existing mental illness - which I would suggest is the more likely cause.
But my original point was meant to be faintly ironic.
In other words, if it's not more guns, as the gun lobby repeatedly claim, then it must be the American psyche that's at fault.
It is of course guns and gun culture.