I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,875

Our democracy started with the Magna Carta, methinks, but that was control of the sovereign by the Barons. Being judged by one's peers was literally that, the Peers, not the later meaning of peer as a person of the same class.

The current representative Parliament, I guess, came about at the end of Cromwell's dictatorship, but I don't know any details of that at all. It isn't a pure democracy as per the ancient greek definition. {where supposedly ALL the citizens voted on everything (?) } {note the slaves didn't get a vote}. {did the greek women have a vote ? }

Australian Open.
Serena v Venus in the final.I hope the girly one wins.
Possible Federer v Nadal final.Like the good old days.

:D

Quote: wigwam willy @ 26th January 2017, 8:55 PM

Possible Federer v Nadal final.Like the good old days.

Good to see France winning Miss Universe then... Whistling nnocently

Note that there are few posts here in recent times. Is everybody afraid to say what they think of Trump, or in despair, or too sick to say anything? An Irish politician referred to him as a monster and I reckon that's about right. Maybe he has it right about the US media - they're certainly not serving the people well when they don't report what the rest of the world is saying about Trump. Are they being gagged? US is traditionally very insular and it certainly is at the moment - they don't seem to have a blind clue as to how their so-called president is regarded. He's not making it great, he's making it a laughing stock. The man is indeed a monster, possibly a dangerous lunatic.

It's too much of a shitshow to even face posting about. Plus he does something new and horrible every couple of hours, so it would be impossible to keep up.

Yes. I've been in despair for days. Bad thoughts I know but I wish somebody would shoot the swine - since they're so bloody obsessed by guns.

I've spent the last week with my son in England and for the last 3 nights we've watched a total of 9 episodes of 'Stll Game' which was great escapism.

Quote: keewik @ 30th January 2017, 8:48 PM

Note that there are few posts here in recent times. Is everybody afraid to say what they think of Trump, or in despair, or too sick to say anything?

I'll just remark that perhaps a British comedy forum isn't the best place to turn to when you want to discuss American politics.

Quote: zooo @ 30th January 2017, 9:13 PM

Plus he does something new and horrible every couple of hours, so it would be impossible to keep up.

Sometimes I wonder if that's his plan: exhaust his detractors.

Quote: DaButt @ 30th January 2017, 9:34 PM

I'll just remark that perhaps a British comedy forum isn't the best place to turn to when you want to discuss American politics.

But this is 'I read the news etc.'

Sometimes I wonder if that's his plan: exhaust his detractors.

Are you yet seeing through this apology for a human? I do hope so. If he isn't assassinated sooner or later, many of us will be very disappointed. If you can, tune into TV across the globe. He'll make America hated, not great. Is that what you want?

I might add, Americans from many places are apologising on social media for what is going on in their country. Decent people who are in despair.

...or too sick to say anything?

That.

An Irish politician referred to him as a monster and I reckon that's about right. .

Was the Irish politician one from the civilised side?

Don't be an arse.

He's only doing what he said he would do and they voted him President.Presumably the majority are happy with that and he is ecstatic because the whole world is talking Trump.It's fun to watch the likes of PM May suck up to this monster.Politics has never been more entertaining.

The majority of America didn't vote for him. About 77% of the country didn't, I think.

(I could be wrong, but I believe half of them didn't vote at all, and of the half that did, less than half voted Trump.)

And now that we're seeing some of those who DID vote for him saying they regret it, he hasn't got all that many fans left...

Glad you think so, Wigwam. Bear in mind the majority of folk in the US did NOT vote for him but the crank system got him elected. Anything but a joke. He's truly a monster, possibly insane.