I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,872

He doesn't just work with him, does he? He bloody well appointed him. And I don't think I ever remember protest marches in Scotland about the appointment of any US president. Certainly outwith US he is regarded as a totally repulsive human being and I use the term. 'human being' loosely.

Quote: DaButt @ 21st January 2017, 6:50 PM

I don't know much about Bannon, but I do know that a person isn't a racist simply because he works with someone who might be a racist.

Why would a non-racist and/or sane person (especially one that has already been wrongfully[?] accused of being a racist in the past) choose (!) to work with a white supremacist?...this is not a bloody bike shop and Trump is not a simple mechanic who hasn't got a choice, this is the White House, it's not just having to "work with" someone...the president represents his country, his people around the world.

EDIT: not sure if Bannon is a WS...but surely a member of the alt right movement.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st January 2017, 7:06 PM

Why would a non-racist and/or sane person (especially one that has already been wrongfully(?) accused of being a racist in the past) choose (!) to work with a white supremacist?

Who says he's a white supremacist? Are those his words, or the words of his political foes?

Quote: DaButt @ 21st January 2017, 7:16 PM

Who says he's a white supremacist? Are those his words, or the words of his political foes?

No, see my EDIT...I've corrected it.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st January 2017, 7:17 PM

No, see my EDIT...I've corrected it.

I guess I replied before I saw the edit. No worries.

I just saw a photo of Yoko Ono at the protest march and she was in a wheelchair. That made me sad.

Quote: DaButt @ 21st January 2017, 7:35 PM

I guess I replied before I saw the edit. No worries.

I just saw a photo of Yoko Ono at the protest march and she was in a wheelchair. That made me sad.

I think the women's march is legitimate and good because it adresses a specific subject (women's rights/sexism). What worries me is the general tendency of the losing side not to accept election/voting results. Trying to reverse a democratic decision with protests and petitions right after the election makes no sense and destroys democracy. I think it's a relatively new phenomenon and I thought it's just a European thing. Fine examples are a controversial vote in my homecountry Switzerland in 2014 ("Masseneinwanderungsinitiative") and the Brexit in the UK.
I'm surprised to see this in the US now. I'm in no way a Trump supporter (obviously) but protesting him out of the White House is just stupid because the next candidate (of any party) would suffer the same fate. There would be no end to it. And it's hypocrite.

Well, Yoko...she's over 80 now. This and the many rock star deaths over the last 12 months make me sad as well. It's like the ultimate end of an era. I'm saying this despite being only 39. :(

I understand what you're saying Gordon but I think what's happening now is so extreme that people just cannot sit back if they disagree. My feelings against Brexit are so strong (as are those of almost everybody I know, the exception being an out and out racist) that it's impossible to shrug and say we'll go along with the democratic vote, especially as I live in a country which was totally against it. I truly believe it'll result in the most awful poverty and those who voted for it will be the worst affected (except wealthy Farage and Johnston).

Quote: keewik @ 21st January 2017, 9:00 PM

I understand what you're saying Gordon but I think what's happening now is so extreme that people just cannot sit back if they disagree. My feelings against Brexit are so strong (as are those of almost everybody I know, the exception being an out and out racist) that it's impossible to shrug and say we'll go along with the democratic vote, especially as I live in a country which was totally against it. I truly believe it'll result in the most awful poverty and those who voted for it will be the worst affected (except wealthy Farage and Johnston).

Brexit and the Swiss vote I mentioned are similar in that way that in both cases people feel the majority was tricked into voting the way they did. With missinformation and blatant lies by certain parties and politicians.
By the way, the Swiss vote can lead to poverty as well because we could lose the access to the common market and other contractual priviliges in the EU. Difference is our government seems to be trying to sit this one out and doesn't act the way it should after the vote. I'm glad it doesn't.
So I know how you feel.
Still, it's very dangerous for the democratic process in the future.

They should have agreed with Blair when he said not to let "those people" vote on Europe
We all blame the c**tish politicians like Blair Cameron & Farage
But politicians have little power,
None of us can' be arsed to have a poor vs rich revolution & even if we did the rich would have plans in place to scupper it

We have had two well-tried and long standing democratic processes in the UK and US. We have the results. That's it.

If the votes had gone the other way then those results would be being cheered in these threads and detractors would be being urged to unite behind the results of those democratic processes.

As it is, intelligent people are not accepting the process and the way voting has gone and some even seem to be saying that there are too many racist/ignorant types out there voting the wrong way, and so their vote is not valid.

I don't think I've heard anyone say legitimate votes aren't valid.
People have the legal right to demonstrate and march to show their displeasure. There's absolutely no reason you should shut up and accept things if you feel strongly about something.

Some posts seem to be at least heading in that direction.

It would by hypocritical not to accept legitimate votes - and quite right of course, peaceful, law abiding protest by those who feel strongly enough to get out and protest should always be allowed, they should be heard, they are being heard. Same in these threads, we post if we think we have something valid to say.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 21st January 2017, 8:09 PM

I'm saying this despite being only 39. :(

A mere child. ;)

Surely, though, there is a difference between protesting about something that has been imposed upon the populace without their having had any say (eg anti-war demonstrators, suffragettes) and protesting about something that has already been put through the democratic process and upon which the populace has given its verdict.

In the first instance the demonstrators are exercising the only way in which they can possibly hope to influence the powers that be to change course. In the second instance, the only outcome that the demonstrators can hope to achieve is to countermand the democratic process.

My Facebook feed is filled with people breathlessly reporting that more than a million people marched against Trump yesterday. So far I've managed to bite my tongue and not remind them that 63 million voted for Trump.