I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,868

Quote: wigwam willy @ 10th December 2016, 9:44 PM

Fleet Street are gushing over A A Gill :
"His wit was incomparable, his writing was dazzling and fearless, his intelligence was matched by compassion."

Not much compassion for baboons though.

Well respected apparently but over the years that I did take The Sunday Times (not now at £2.50 !!! )I found him rather arrogant.

BBC News:
FA reform: Former chiefs say 'elderly white men' block change.
The Football Association is outdated, held back by "elderly white men".. [*ageism, racism, sexism]

*Regarding this headline, there is a refreshing lack of Political Correctness and corresponding 'Twitter storm'.

Good to see football sorting itself out..

Be nice to see similar headlines also referring to religious, judicial, business leaders, political leaders and Royal Families who govern and who are also blocking change; and let's be multicultural about it and not just target old white men..

Oops, sorry! I deleted as I thought you were being ironic and I'd missed it.

Quote: zooo @ 12th December 2016, 11:50 AM

Oops, sorry! I deleted as I thought you were being ironic and I'd missed it.

The irony resides elsewhere, I believe. :)

Police end 7 hour stand-off at house when they discover it empty.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-12/no-one-home-after-seven-hour-police-standoff-in-melton/8114164

Someone on TV is going to have a field day putting words to this..........................

"It's just like parties I had when I was tiny. We had tea & cakes & venison and then a trip with a couple of little friends to the executions...

...If I wanted any of my friends executed that is".

Surely Trump must be the biggest and nastiest shit in the universe.

I've never been a Meryll Steep fan but she's got it right this time.

Petty showbiz spats.He's making George W look really statesmanlike.

I think pro-PC types are overreacting, if he nukes you then you'll have something to complain about.

Quote: keewik @ 10th January 2017, 12:14 AM

I'm sure there must be millions in Zimbabwe, Sudan, Eritrea, Equatorial Guinea, Belarus, Uzbekistan & Swaziland who agree with you.

Quote: keewik @ 10th January 2017, 12:14 AM

I've never been a Meryll Steep fan but she's got it right this time.

She's a great actress and probably a decent human being, but in my opinion she got it exactly wrong. She's just another wealthy Hollywood elitist who is spitting sour grapes because her candidate lost an election. Yes, Hillary Clinton was her candidate, and she spoke at the Democrats' convention and countless other times in her favor. Now there will be no more personal invitations to the White House and she's so mad that she had to whine about it on television.

She could have made a more dignified statement by wearing a Hillary campaign button and simply saying "thank you" before walking off the stage. Or she could have been a real humanitarian and asked people from both sides of the aisle to come together as human beings and Americans, but she chose the same route of demonization that permeated the election: anyone who voted for Trump is a racist, homophobic, xenophobic misogynist. All the Kumbaya togetherness of her speech ignores the scorn and contempt that her candidate and party held for half of the nation's citizens, and the faux outrage over Trump's tweets conveniently forgets what wicked things were said about him before and after the election.

Do you guys have access to Anthony Bourdain's various shows in the UK? He does sort of a traveling food show, eating with the common folk in exotic locations. His personality really grates on me and he's quite the vocal Trump hater, but he said something in a recent interview which is worth listening to, especially if you're a Democrat who wants their party to win elections in the future:

The utter contempt with which privileged Eastern liberals such as myself discuss red-state, gun-country, working-class America as ridiculous and morons and rubes is largely responsible for the upswell of rage and contempt and desire to pull down the temple that we're seeing now.

I've spent a lot of time in gun-country, God-fearing America. There are a hell of a lot of nice people out there, who are doing what everyone else in this world is trying to do: the best they can to get by, and take care of themselves and the people they love. When we deny them their basic humanity and legitimacy of their views, however different they may be than ours, when we mock them at every turn, and treat them with contempt, we do no one any good. Nothing nauseates me more than preaching to the converted. The self-congratulatory tone of the privileged left--just repeating and repeating and repeating the outrages of the opposition--this does not win hearts and minds. It doesn't change anyone's opinions. It only solidifies them, and makes things worse for all of us. We should be breaking bread with each other, and finding common ground whenever possible. I fear that is not at all what we've done.

http://reason.com/archives/2016/12/29/anthony-bourdain

Makes a lot of sense Dabutt.............................in a similar vein here in the UK, as far as I can see, people are sick and tired of being lied to and treated like idiots by the shits that pass for democracy in the two houses of Parliament and what we need over here is a modern day Guido Fawkes to wipe the lot out and start again with say a plebiscite.

After years of feeling I had a responsibility I can't believe I now see it that way, but "that f**king lot of lying bastards" have shat on us once too often and created a hell of a lot of distrust amongst the hoi polloi.

DaButt
I think you're right, had Hilary Clinton won then Meryl Streep would now be urging for unity behind the elected President!

Herc
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective..) in a Representative Democracy the representative does not have to consult or represent the views of his/her electorate.

Seems wrong somehow, but that is what we have, except for referendums of course, which has led us to Brexit which has in fact divided us in to the two camps. With no referendum we would still be in Europe (rightly or wrongly).

It's all shit, I think.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 10th January 2017, 7:47 PM

DaButt
I think you're right, had Hilary Clinton won then Meryl Streep would now be urging for unity behind the elected President!

Yep! That's how modern politics are played. Treat it as if it's a bitter sports rivalry and teach your followers to hate the followers of the other team.

In WWII, for instance, gross caricatures and racially charged illustrations of our enemies were commonplace, even though nowadays we'd cringe at such representations of the Japanese and Germans -- despite the fact that their empires were in the midst of committing horrific atrocities. These days it's still ok to liken your political opponents to Nazis and call them all racists just because they voted for a particular candidate. How times have changed...