I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,844

Quote: Kenneth @ 13th September 2016, 2:43 PM

Cannibals? Nastier terms were employed in the book.

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.

I don't think we can judge attitudes and behaviours of over a century ago (when women hadn't yet got the vote, homosexuality was illegal, youths under 18 could still be hanged, corporal punishment was the norm and few people had travelled abroad and fewer still had any knowledge of different ethnicities) with what we deem acceptable today.

There is no evidence that the stories were racist, if that is what you are suggesting. Indeed, Hurree Jamset Ram Singh is always depicted as one of the least offensive and most popular characters. The worst that the stories can be accused of is stereotyping, which is not surprising given the aforementioned lack of personal experience of different cultures. Frank Richards (Charles Hamilton) himself never travelled further than France.

We are where we are. The books are of their time. If we expunged all books merely because they portrayed different views to those of today, we would be going down a very slippery path (see Nazi Germany). And, by the same token, no doubt many of today's ideals will be looked upon with aghast in 100 years' time.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th September 2016, 3:13 PM

There is no evidence that the stories were racist, if that is what you are suggesting. Indeed, Hurree Jamset Ram Singh is always depicted as one of the least offensive and most popular characters.

I never suggested the Bunter books were racist. And I should know, having read through the canon (including the Bessie Bunters) over recent years. Bunter himself is the egregious racist. Whereas his chums and narrator are not.

I'll have to dig through some boxes of Viz to find the Billy Punter strip.*

EDIT: Found. Will upload in the Viz thread.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th September 2016, 3:13 PM

If we expunged all books merely because they portrayed different views to those of today

I am a stern opponent of bowdlerization, be it in Blyton, the Goon Show or Bunter.

Quote: keewik @ 13th September 2016, 12:11 AM

I agree. I'm sure the rules are that you have to ask for asylum in the first place you arrive. I just hate the use of the word 'frog'.

It's maybe because the heathens eat Frogs legs. How uncivilised is that.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th September 2016, 11:01 PM

It's maybe because the heathens eat Frogs legs. How uncivilised is that.

A few weeks ago my friends and I discovered a little bar (it looks like it used to be a gas station) in the middle of nowhere (way in the middle of nowhere) and stopped in for a beer. We were pleasantly surprised to see that it was decked out in John Wayne memorabilia and their beer selection was very good. It looked like the kind of place that would only serve popcorn and warmed up bar snacks, but it had a chef who cooked some fantastic ribeye steaks and appetizers. My friend ordered frog legs and I tried one. Meh.

It's this place:

http://obriensinbergheim.com/

Just in case you didn't realize that you were in Texas:

"O'BRIEN'S RESTAURANT ASKS THAT YOU PLEASE DO NOT OPEN CARRY IN OUR RESTAURANT UNLESS YOU ARE CERTIFIED ON DUTY LAW ENFORCEMENT. WE DO SUPPORT CONCEALED CARRY."

Carry? WTF is Carry? Australian Curry?

Quote: Chappers @ 13th September 2016, 11:58 PM

Carry? WTF is Carry? Australian Curry?

Packin' heat
Strapped
Wearin' iron
Heeled

Quote: DaButt @ 14th September 2016, 12:14 AM

Packin' heat
Strapped
Wearin' iron
Heeled

Oh that makes it SO much clearer.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th September 2016, 1:13 AM

Oh that makes it SO much clearer.

Come on mate, you know:
Taking the colt for a walk,
Fingering the filly,
Got the yoghurt packed,
Chaperoning the chopper squad,
Palming a lady of Bristol,
Bustin' the Browning,
Lugging the Luger,
Walking heavy today,
Roscoe walkin',
Draining the drip pipe,
Choking the little chap,
etc.

Oh... I see what you mean, it's AKA...

gun totin' red-neck

:P

Quote: Kenneth" post="1163588" date k.O.="14th September 2016, 5:10 AM

Choking the little chap,

Oooh, that brings back many memories of my teenage days!

Surely you mean this morning ;)

Quote: Chappers @ 12th September 2016, 10:39 PM

OK but why don't they abide by the laws instead of complaining that we are to blame for that shit hole in Calais.

The French are doing what you are doing and for much the same reason. But these people are refugees from wars that we started, or perpetuated, or countries we bombed, or invaded, for good or for bad reasons. They are not benefit scroungers, they are refugees seeking what everyone wants, home and safety. If you export bombs you import people. Both Governments should take a responsible and humanitarian attitude, not scapegoat or demonise or inflame. This world is cold and cruel enough without incitement. The idea of the accident of birth or religion should in anyway release us from our humanity to each other is a signpost to a world of hate, disorder and fear, look at it now. If building walls is your answer, it didn't work for East Germany, it won't work for you, and if we lose sight of our humanity or human compassion, what are we.

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 16th September 2016, 4:59 PM

If you export bombs you import people.

We don't have a thumbs up emoticon, imagine one here.

Thanks Zooo. I was thinking of not replying at all. it seems so pointless at times, but I couldn't help myself in the end Angelic

Currently writing to my doctor to ask him to confirm in writing that I am unfit to be President of the United States.