I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,841

Quote: Kenneth @ 18th August 2016, 11:29 AM

I've not watched any yet. Apart from the clip I was directed to of a Japanese pole vaulter dislodging the pole with his cock.

I believe he was Chinese.

Quote: DaButt @ 18th August 2016, 4:53 PM

I believe he was Chinese.

The Japanese athlete to whom I referred, Hiroki Ogita, is Japanese: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37103648 Did a Chinese vaulter suffer a similar problem?

Quote: Kenneth @ 19th August 2016, 1:26 AM

The Japanese athlete to whom I referred, Hiroki Ogita, is Japanese: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37103648 Did a Chinese vaulter suffer a similar problem?

No, you're right. I could swear that the story I read said that he was Chinese, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I did see an even where the Chinese athlete's name was Dong Dong. I can only hope that he has a brother named Ding...

Quote: DaButt @ 19th August 2016, 2:09 AM

No, you're right. I could swear that the story I read said that he was Chinese, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I did see an even where the Chinese athlete's name was Dong Dong. I can only hope that he has a brother named Ding...

That name rings a bell >_<

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Stone me what a life"
Founder member of the "Bring back the old boards" movement

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th August 2016, 9:27 AM

That name rings a bell >_<

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Stone me what a life"

I don't agree.

His brother would be Dong Ding rather than Ding Dong.

Or in full Mandarin, Gnod Gnid.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 19th August 2016, 11:10 AM

I don't agree.

Nope, you're completely wrong there - that is Albanian for Good Night

"Stone me what a life"

In the gheg dialect perhaps.

I will need to consult Franz Bopp.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 19th August 2016, 11:10 AM

I don't agree.

No, the Chinese do not write from "right to left" when writing sentences. They did used to write top down in lines, from when writing was done on bamboo slats.

Above is a nice illustration of the fatuous foolishness of "forcing a sig" into a post. It reappears in quotes and needlessly bloats the page. Ironic, really, when there are complaints about the new-look forum being insufficiently compact.

Quote: Kenneth @ 20th August 2016, 5:05 AM

No, the Chinese do not write from "right to left" when writing sentences. They did used to write top down in lines, from when writing was done on bamboo slats.

I'm trying to teach myself mandarin using an app. It's not going well. The app will display a sentence/phrase in pinyin/Chinese characters and then underneath have the English words displayed as "tags" that you arrange into the sentence. Some shorter phrases/sentences I can figure out despite the fact that the Chinese phrase is Backward to me. However I am really struggling with the longer ones especially ones that involve direction.

Quote: reds @ 20th August 2016, 1:42 PM

I'm trying to teach myself mandarin using an app. It's not going well. The app will display a sentence/phrase in pinyin/Chinese characters and then underneath have the English words displayed as "tags" that you arrange into the sentence. Some shorter phrases/sentences I can figure out despite the fact that the Chinese phrase is Backward to me. However I am really struggling with the longer ones especially ones that involve direction.

I seem to recall you once posting that you were unmarried/single? If so, put the app aside and find a mainland Chinese person to teach you. I'm not saying a "sleeping dictionary" is the best way, but sure can help you to get your tongue around some of the tougher diction. I started with names, numbers and animals. Half the fun of learning to write the characters was using a fountain pen with a squeeze bulb. Chinese friends still cannot understand most of what I try to say (because of my terrible tones) but they can read the (Mandarin) stuff I write.

KFC's secret recipe revealed? A newspaper put it to the test and said that it was spot on after adding a little MSG.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/recipes/ct-kfc-recipe-test-20160818-story.html

I sat on the floor of a train from Newcastle to London long before the railways were privatised.

I was coming back from a gig at Newcastle City Hall around midnight on 27/28 December 19....well, I won't say when exactly.

It was called the milk train but only for historical reasons because trains used to carry milk overnight and you could sit on their floors if you wanted.

It changed, I think, when they introduced plastic and red, green, blue and mauve tops.

The North Korean version of 'Netflix' is called 'Manbang'...does this only sound funny to me?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 23rd August 2016, 8:45 PM

It changed, I think, when they introduced plastic and red, green, blue and mauve tops.

Weren't the mauve ones more of a puce?

I'd feel a lot better about our upcoming election if Nigel Farage were running instead of Donald Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS8yKmAO6n8