BBC One V Sky1

Hi Everyone

I'm currently flicking between BBC One and Sky1.

Offerings are In With The Flynns (now Mrs. Brown's Boys) and Trollied.

I guess my background makes me particularly interested in the camera work.

Trollied just feels brilliantly framed and focused, and no silly audience laughing, thanks God!

In With The Flynns was very poor hand held camera work. Framing shit. Lighting crap.

OK lighting on Trollied? Needs practice but I'm starting to warm to this. It's moving, interesting and I even laughed a couple of times. This is what Friday night TV should be attempting.

Given the BBC's dire 90 minutes should we all be turning to Sky? (And did I just say that?)

I currently have Sky ahead and having met the guys making this (Stuart Murphy), I'm not surprised.

Go Trollied.

AP Scene

I haven't got Sky but certainly what they've been attempting to do in the last year or so is very promising for sitcom fans. That said, comparing Sky One and BBC One isn't really fair. They're different beasts with different funding and different pressures on them. That's not to excuse the Beeb's flagship channels dire comedy output, just to say they are quite different.

I've had Sky for years and never once looked at Sky1, Living or any of that type of channel. Never occurred to me there might be anything good on it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 31 2012, 10:41 PM BST

I've had Sky for years and never once looked at Sky1, Living or any of that type of channel. Never occurred to me there might be anything good on it.

Money well spent then, Kipper!

They make you have these extra channels you don't want. You can't choose what you simply want without being forced to have the rubbish you don't want.

Which satellite channels do you like?

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ August 31 2012, 9:45 PM BST

Hi Everyone

I'm currently flicking between BBC One and Sky1.

Offerings are In With The Flynns (now Mrs. Brown's Boys) and Trollied.

I guess my background makes me particularly interested in the camera work.

Trollied just feels brilliantly framed and focused, and no silly audience laughing, thanks God!

In With The Flynns was very poor hand held camera work. Framing shit. Lighting crap.

OK lighting on Trollied? Needs practice but I'm starting to warm to this. It's moving, interesting and I even laughed a couple of times. This is what Friday night TV should be attempting.

Given the BBC's dire 90 minutes should we all be turning to Sky? (And did I just say that?)

I currently have Sky ahead and having met the guys making this (Stuart Murphy), I'm not surprised.

Go Trollied.

AP Scene

I quite disagree. Bravo to Sky for making comedy, but Trollied is a terrible, awfully unfunny excuse for a sitcom. I know from inside stories (sadly, none which I can repeat publicly, but that are incredibly enlightening) that this is no sitcom, but far more akin to a light-hearted soap.

BBC One, on the other hand, offer a delightful attempt at proper, enjoyable, escapist sitcoms. Miranda may be a repeat, In With The Flynns may be ... weak, let's say, and Mrs. Brown's Boys may be a repeat and of iffy quality (IMHO), but Danny Cohen is nevertheless showing its intent. The programmes in its line-up are far more worthy of the label 'comedy'.

Who me or the others? The post before I mean.

Yes Trollied I have seen, only once to see what it was like. Horrocks wasted in sub comedic shop opera.

Quote: Aaron @ August 31 2012, 11:10 PM BST

I quite disagree. Bravo to Sky for making comedy, but Trollied is a terrible, awfully unfunny excuse for a sitcom. I know from inside stories (sadly, none which I can repeat publicly, but that are incredibly enlightening) that this is no sitcom, but far more akin to a light-hearted soap.

BBC One, on the other hand, offer a delightful attempt at proper, enjoyable, escapist sitcoms. Miranda may be a repeat, In With The Flynns may be ... weak, let's say, and Mrs. Brown's Boys may be a repeat and of iffy quality (IMHO), but Danny Cohen is nevertheless showing its intent. The programmes in its line-up are far more worthy of the label 'comedy'.

You've just got this wrong. Miranda was at best poor, In With The Flynns was the worst kind of hand held camera wobble, and Mrs. Brown's Boys should have been dumped in a skip twenty years ago.

And while I'm not saying Trollied was the best script ever written it was pretty well shot, single camera, lighting, better than average and the acting, well pretty good actually.

Trollied, is ahead.

I know Stuart Murphy has a long way to go with his SKY ambitions but having met him and got what he wants to do...well he's already ahead of the BBC and that's 10 months in to his new post? What exactly do the BBC have to offer in Comedy?

AP Scene

A person can't be 'wrong' about their own opinion. :)

Quote: zooo @ August 31 2012, 11:27 PM BST

A person can't be 'wrong' about their own opinion. :)

True but they can be wrong about production values

APS

Quote: Punk Anarcho @ August 31 2012, 11:25 PM BST

You've just got this wrong.. Miranda was at best poor, In with Flynn was the worst kind of hand held camera wobble, and Mrs Browns boys should have been dumped in a skip twenty years ago..

And while I'm not saying Trollied was the best script ever written it was pretty well shot, single camera, lighting, better than average and the Acting, well pretty good actually

Trollied, is ahead.

It's strange to judge a sitcom qualities primarily by how well it's shot.

Sky 1 have had some decent stuff on, though I haven't watched all of the comedies they've had on recently. I've been more interested in the comedy they've produced for some of their other channels, like Sky Atlantic for example. Though that could change as I think 'Chickens' and Chris O'Dowd's sitcom are to go out on SKY 1.

Still seems an odd decision to me that Channel 4 let 'Chickens' go.

You've just got this wrong. Miranda was at best poor, In With The Flynns was the worst kind of hand held camera wobble, and Mrs. Brown's Boys should have been dumped in a skip twenty years ago.

And while I'm not saying Trollied was the best script ever written it was pretty well shot, single camera, lighting, better than average and the acting, well pretty good actually.

Trollied, is ahead.

I do not contest your assertion as to the differing styles of production (you will notice I made no comment as to the look of any of the shows mentioned). I do not agree with your assessment of the value of each style, however, and as these are ostensibly comedies I concern myself with their comedy substance.

I know Stuart Murphy has a long way to go with his SKY ambitions but having met him and got what he wants to do...well he's already ahead of the BBC and that's 10 months in to his new post?

He's been at Sky for three years.

What exactly do the BBC have to offer in Comedy?

Balancing all factors, they offer the same depressing mess as almost every other network.

There is certainly one good thing to be said for Sky: by all accounts, they merely commission, then keep their beaks out of the productions. If the BBC et al would do this, we would all be far happier people.

Sky seems to have a lot more money at the moment.

But out of all their recent output the only one I can think of is Spy which is pretty darned good (if very BBC).

Trollied, Mount Pleasant, Cafe etc all feel like a sort of castrated Royle Family. A kind of sloppy joke lite, mawkish pseudo sitcom soap opera hybrid.

And as for Touch of Cloth, Police Squad called they want their jokes back.